Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Was in Best Buy earlier getting my sister a Christmas gift, and my store got hit with the layout change :gold: TVs and Computers are pretty much the only departments left unchanged; games got merged with movies and music, headphones now have a super weird layout in the center of the store, and phones are a lot more spread out. Eek.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Was in Best Buy earlier getting my sister a Christmas gift, and my store got hit with the layout change :gold: TVs and Computers are pretty much the only departments left unchanged; games got merged with movies and music, headphones now have a super weird layout in the center of the store, and phones are a lot more spread out. Eek.

This is pretty much the definition of a non-issue.

• Haha 1

So I'm looking into this whole academic misconduct thing and I'm really making myself scared. I'm not sure if they look at infractions differently or if it's all the same to them. I didn't cheat on an exam, or copy someone's work or have them copy mine... it was just that we collaborated on an assignment.

And now I'm looking at articles like "Academic Misconduct = Screwed Forever" Is that true? If this does end up with a blip on my student record (which IMO it shouldn't but whatever it's a learning moment) am I basically fucked for transferring to other universities or getting a job in the future? Same with my classmates who did the assignment as well?

... and if it does mean that, does the dean and the teacher and everyone know that it will? 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So I'm looking into this whole academic misconduct thing and I'm really making myself scared. I'm not sure if they look at infractions differently or if it's all the same to them. I didn't cheat on an exam, or copy someone's work or have them copy mine... it was just that we collaborated on an assignment.

And now I'm looking at articles like "Academic Misconduct = Screwed Forever" Is that true? If this does end up with a blip on my student record (which IMO it shouldn't but whatever it's a learning moment) am I basically fucked for transferring to other universities or getting a job in the future? Same with my classmates who did the assignment as well?

... and if it does mean that, does the dean and the teacher and everyone know that it will? 

First, no matter what happens, you're not screwed forever.  Think of the worst thing that can happen...imagine it happening...and realize you will still be able to get up the next day and pursue a new path if one closes to you.

But, it shouldn't come to that.  If you are getting worried, research your college's policies on this "academic council", on "plagiarism", and on the possibility of a student or professor advocate for you at the event.  The more you know going into this event, the better you will feel.  Again, the truth is on your side...remember that.  What you did may have not been ideal academic achievement, but it wasn't plagiarism.  At worst, it should be a failed assignment (in my book), if the teacher wants to say that any group activity invalidates your efforts...maybe it should, but it should not lead to anything further.

Also, tell your parents.  Normally, I'd advise folks to handle everything themselves, BUT doing that doesn't mean you have to exclude your parents.  They provide you unconditional emotional support and love (and a lifetime of perspective), and just that might be very helpful right now.  They also provide better advice than internet folks probably do (although we try:)...

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

First, no matter what happens, you're not screwed forever.  Think of the worst thing that can happen...imagine it happening...and realize you will still be able to get up the next day and pursue a new path if one closes to you.

But, it shouldn't come to that.  If you are getting worried, research your college's policies on this "academic council", on "plagiarism", and on the possibility of a student or professor advocate for you at the event.  The more you know going into this event, the better you will feel.  Again, the truth is on your side...remember that.  What you did may have not been ideal academic achievement, but it wasn't plagiarism.  At worst, it should be a failed assignment (in my book), if the teacher wants to say that any group activity invalidates your efforts...maybe it should, but it should not lead to anything further.

Also, tell your parents.  Normally, I'd advise folks to handle everything themselves, BUT doing that doesn't mean you have to exclude your parents.  They provide you unconditional emotional support and love (and a lifetime of perspective), and just that might be very helpful right now.  They also provide better advice than internet folks probably do (although we try:)...

Thanks man, that's really helpful actually :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

It might be possible for me to see both Lady Bird and the new Star Wars tomorrow.

I'd personally try to see them on separate days.  Lady Bird is a great movie, so it'd be best not to let your Star Wars experience overshadow it.  

I saw Lady Bird and Three Billboards in the same day, and it probably hurt my experience for both movies because I was trying to digest both at the same time.

• Like 1

Once I finish all of my finals lots of good movies in town.

Star Wars in 70mm 2D IMAX, Shape of Water in a close theater, The Disaster Artist in a close theater. 

Hopefully CMBYN and Phantom Thread expands into the metroplex soon.  I don't know how I'll get to see The Florida Project anytime soon, sadly.

21 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

I'd personally try to see them on separate days.  Lady Bird is a great movie, so it'd be best not to let your Star Wars experience overshadow it.  

I saw Lady Bird and Three Billboards in the same day, and it probably hurt my experience for both movies because I was trying to digest both at the same time.

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

One of these things is more important thanthe other

Well, I already have my Star Wars ticket, so I know I'm seeing that.

I'm considering seeing Lady Bird and Star Wars back to back, with about 45 minutes separating the two. I'm not a huge Star Wars fanboy, so I guess it will be OK.

• Like 3

Finally got through with MoviePass, thanks to not having to actually use their website to pay for it. 

Kind of perfect timing, really. Already got my Star Wars ticket and there's nothing else in the next two weeks I'm that impatient to see. First on the agenda when I get it will probably be another Coco viewing.

• Like 5