Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Double Toasted finally called out Idris Elba’s bad American accent and I’m so happy.

yes, i thought i'd been insane for years. especially since i'm not american and so many americans call it flawless. it sounds ropey as fuck to me.

4 minutes ago, ReyReyBattery said:

Wish I could go skiing. Unfortunately, it is the middle of summer so that option is kind of off the table.

Sounds as if global warming has fucked up the seasons faster than anyone expected.

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ReyReyBattery said:

Wish I could go skiing. Unfortunately, it is the middle of summer so that option is kind of off the table.

I don't mind skiing if it's in a pressure-free environment where I'm allowed to screw up as badly as possible. Unfortunately, my uncle is not pressure-free.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yes, i thought i'd been insane for years. especially since i'm not american and so many americans call it flawless. it sounds ropey as fuck to me.

In my experience Americans don't notice bad American accents that much. Margot Robbie and Sophie Turner struggle. Shit, they don't seem to notice my fake American accent when I'm over there (I put it on because it's faster and easier for waiters and sales staff to understand me compared to my London accent).

Much as I'll defend Avatar, Sam Worthington's accent was pretty bad in that. 

I think in Elba's case we'd be afraid of being labeled racist if we criticized it, but from what I recall he's usually had his native accent in his bigger roles.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AJG said:

In my experience Americans don't notice bad American accents that much. Margot Robbie and Sophie Turner struggle. Shit, they don't seem to notice my fake American accent when I'm over there (I put it on because it's faster and easier for waiters and sales staff to understand me compared to my London accent).

Americans are just too polite. :ph34r:

Brits seem to have more success with the Southern Drawl than the standard Midwestern accent for some reason. Maybe because it's not as much of a dialect shift in reality? Thought I heard somewhere that it's actually a lot closer to what Shakespeare spoke than the current Received Pronunciation. 

Edited by tribefan695

38 minutes ago, AJG said:

Just as long as people don't try to channel Foghorn Leghorn, we'll take just about any attempt at a regional American accent. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The household will be up bright and early to open presents and watch the pre-recorded Disney 2 Hour Glorified Commercial for Their Parks and Movies Christmas Day Parade like we do every year.

We used to do that...when it was a parade...now we throw on a Netflix yule log as background to open our presents...it's pretty sad they killed the best part of that show!  At least Macy's still shows a parade on Thanksgiving...