That One Girl

Pet Sematary | April 5, 2019 | Paramount | Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer (Starry Eyes) to direct

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Im really rooting for this to be another horror breakout, but with Us still going strong it may be a "relative" underperformer. A mid 20s opening would mean a 50-65M total, not bad, but not great either.

Id really love to be wrong though. Everything above a 35M OW would make me very happy.

Pre-sales are really strong, I doubt it comes below $30m.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Pre-sales are really strong, I doubt it comes below $30m.

Have just seen the update in the buzz thread. Looks very promising indeed. Though because of the appearant dark and grim nature of the film, it will probably need more of a 40-45M OW to secure a chance for 100M DOM than a 30M OW. But of course, 100M isnt the bar for success. Anything above 75M for me is a big win.

Well, we'll see.

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

The preview I was at was packed and had a surprisingly older audience. 

You could hear a pin drop during the tense moments. 

Ill see it on Thursday or Friday, really excited now actually :)

10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Have just seen the update in the buzz thread. Looks very promising indeed. Though because of the appearant dark and grim nature of the film, it will probably need more of a 40-45M OW to secure a chance for 100M DOM than a 30M OW. But of course, 100M isnt the bar for success. Anything above 75M for me is a big win.

Well, we'll see.

Well, Hereditary was the most dark and grim movie I’ve ever seen, and it still managed to get a multiple above 3.0x despite the strong competition, so there’s hope. :) 

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The preview I was at was packed and had a surprisingly older audience. 

You could hear a pin drop during the tense moments. 

The original book was released in 1983 after all. There are a lot of older folks who love Stephen King from reading his books decades ago.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

What was scary about it? I don’t mean that to be jerk-ish, but I was shocked by the complete lack of atmosphere or suspense.

Hmm our audience was really into it.

I won’t say because obviously spoilers. 

But it’s different strokes for different folks obviously. 

Edited by Krissykins

I can't remember what tracking was for IT about a week before it came out but I know and blew past tracking. I'm kind of wondering if pet sematary does the same thing. Could we be looking at a possible 50 million dollar opening weekend?

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, baumer said:

I can't remember what tracking was for IT about a week before it came out but I know and blew past tracking. I'm kind of wondering if pet sematary does the same thing. Could we be looking at a possible 50 million dollar opening weekend?

If it does 50M that would be very big thing. Us will fall 55% and Shazam may come no. 2

17 minutes ago, Matthew said:

If it does 50M that would be very big thing. Us will fall 55% and Shazam may come no. 2

I think Shazam could come in much higher than 50M.

It would be awesome if both Shazam and Pet Sematary opened above 50 m.

By the way, we have all seen the font that Pet Sematary uses in its trailer. It is red, bold and very distinctive. IT is very similar to the Stranger Things font and I have been racking my brain trying to remember if that font is oroginally from some Steven Spielberg eighties film or a Stephen KIng novel or something else equally iconic from he past (because I know that it was not originated by Stranger Things...was it?)

Does anyone know? 

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Tracking for IT one day before the release was: 60-70.

Also, it’s Definitely possible that it does $50m.

According to our members on the Buzz Tracking topic, it is selling similar to AQP in pre-sales, and while it will obviously be more front-loaded than an original movie, we need to have in mind that:

A) IT (the best possible comparison) wasn't that front on OW, it generated a 9.2x off previews despite having a hurricane hurting it.

B) AQP was a bit front (for an original movie) in OW, it ended with a 11.7x.

Since I doubt PS will be as front as IT, I think there's a real chance that it does $40m+ this weekend if it keeps close to AQP.

It may be about to explode.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I still think it’ll do mid $20m. 

The tracking thread for this is all over the place. Maybe it’ll get clearer as the weeek goes on. But they were way off on US too

People on the Buzz topic showed us that US was going to open between 70-80 when the tracking was around $50m, YOU were the one who kept claiming that it would not do these numbers because the 'official' tracking was in the $50m range and once again is doing the same shit.

People on this forum already proved several times they're so competent (and sometimes even more) than these industry tracking.