aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

FANTASTIC opening for Lady Bird, holy shit.

The love for Saoirse makes me a happy man.

Lady Bird is definitely looking like one of the top 5 Oscar contenders now.  Gerwig could get a directing nom, it's hitting at the right time and it has glowing reviews.

• Like 2

Just now, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

Lady Bird is definitely looking like one of the top 5 Oscar contenders now.  Gerwig could get a directing nom, it's hitting at the right time and it has glowing reviews.

I don't think Gerwig is happening (they'll go for "showier" directing contenders) but I do think it's A24's #1 push now and it will get plenty of nominations. Very happy that her directorial debut has turned out so well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I don't think Gerwig is happening (they'll go for "showier" directing contenders) but I do think it's A24's #1 push now and it will get plenty of nominations. Very happy that her directorial debut has turned out so well.

It's not a guarantee, but she fits in with noms like Abrahmson and such. Nolan, Del Torro and probably McDonagh are likely in, the other two slots could flip to a lot of different directors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

Nolan, Del Torro and probably McDonagh are likely in, the other two slots could flip to a lot of different directors.

I feel pretty comfortable saying Guadagnino is in along with those three.

• Like 2

It's really impressive in retrospect how The Hangover 2 was able to hold on as well as it did 6.5 years ago. Speaks to just how popular the first movie was. In today's environment it probably would've been lucky to make half of what its predecessor did given its reception.