DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

31 minutes ago, Porthos said:

???

It's at 18.7m on the YT Prime Video channel alone

Not saying that's necessarily the right number.  But neither is 4.8m

Yep my mistake, I looked at the first vid up when I searched YT but didn’t notice it what PV UK. Idk why that would be the top on but eh, my fault. 

Seems incredibly high, still; but I guess it’s feasible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

I’ll admit I didn’t do my due diligence beyond the main YT channel, but I’m surprised how strong the LATAM and India channels are. I can definitely see it now depending on socials

At least you didn't go to Prime Video UK and think it was the main. :lol:

(love ya @PenguinXXR , but that was pretty funny :lol:)

edit:  And now I feel bad slightly ribbing you, XXR, after the cross post.

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty dubious of the 250m+ number myself even after checking out YT and Twitter.  But 150m+?  Maybe even 200m?  That I could see.

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Falcon and Winter Soldier supposedly got "125 million" views last year from the Super Bowl, despite much lower view numbers than many Marvel trailers that didn't even break 100. I don't trust anything from these Super Bowl stats.

Also @Porthos@Inceptionzq I don't but the prime video India number. Wheel of Time's trailer was shockingly high on prime video India at first, later the view count was dropped massively to a more reasonable number.

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

https://old.reddit.com/r/lotr/comments/strutc/a_look_back_on_how_fans_in_2001_criticized_pjs/

Really good point : back in 2001 lots of people were going apeshit over the smallest of changes.

Let's wait and see!

The trilogy was such a cinematic achievement that it shut up all critics except for the most tenacious minority.

Rings of Power "only" has to do the same. What are the odds? Must be hell of a pressure on the showrunners right now. Yeah, don't want to be in their shoes.

But i remain hopeful, i want to. The teaser doesn't give me much cause for concern, to the contrary (some casting choices and hairdos notwithstanding). I detest the negativity, lack of open mindedness and that mob mentality that is so prevailing on the internet. Hate it.

• Like 1

I feel like the hate for this is soooo over the top at the moment. The outrage just seems so manufactured, especially on YouTube. The YouTubers are riding this hate train so hard, on par with the hate train for star wars sequel trilogy. 

The only legit concern I have for this is it will be great?  It needs to be great not good. I said in the Superbowl thread that I hope this universe doesn't turn into Star Wars where the first 3 movies are ground breaking masterpieces and then everything after that is just OK-to-mediocre(even tho the tv side of Star Wars has been killing it). 

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

let's hire two people who don't even have a Wikipedia page who's only IMDB credit is an uncredited script contribution to Star Trek Beyond to be the main showrunners of your billion dollar streaming show

makes sense!

Hire somebody who's only done niche indie and shlocky horror flicks down in NZ for your $300m movie trilogy. Makes about as much sense...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Hire somebody who's only done niche indie and shlocky horror flicks down in NZ for your $300m movie trilogy. Makes about as much sense...

Peter Jackson had at least directed before and had an Oscar nom under his belt for The Lovely Bones. He was also the main person pushing and wanting to direct the trilogy because most people thought it would be unfilmable 

these guys, who are now taking on a franchise that has been established in the movie word, have nothing, and we’re mainly hired  supposedly because of a recommendation from JJ Abrams..

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

these guys, who are now taking on a franchise that has been established in the movie word, have nothing, and we’re mainly hired  supposedly because of a recommendation from JJ Abrams..

They were hired because they made a great pitch, supposedly. And i feel like TV might be even more of a group effort with the directors and writers and the show has some good established talent working on it. We'll see...

Gosh there is sooo much negativity sorrounding this project!

And we barely saw anything ffs. As a huge Tolkien fan (I’ve read pretty much all his books, including some of the History of Middle-earth -still making my way through that) it is so disappointing.

I do agree that including hobbits is strange but it can be made to work. At least wait to see a full episode before judging the whole thing🙃

• Like 1