DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

22 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

While I understand the logic from the mind of the producers in that they think people are dumb and won't like cast turnover between seasons, I just don't understand the need to compress 1,000+ years of history into basically a few decades. Each season telling its own chapter in the Second Age, culminating with the final couple seasons being the fall of Numenor and then the Last Alliance, is not that hard for people to get around

• Like 1

This series will be HUGE. This is going to be pure event TV. Everyone will be talking about it week after week. Audiences around the world will come together and celebrate. The birds will sing. The dogs will run free through the streets. The sharks will eat fish. Fish will offer their bodies to the sharks. Moms and dads will divorce while screwing one last time. No bad feelings. 

Glad to see San Diego Comic Con making a comeback this year. 

So hmm, first trailer didn't give me confidence in this thing AT ALL, but I must say now... damn this looks like it could actually be good? I thought the actress portraying Galadriel fell flat before but now somehow she's growing on me. She actually looks the part now? What

Visuals look mostly amazing, music... great

What a comeback. Am actually looking forward to this now!

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Saying it here also, the trailer looks amazing, but ill wait for the story/characters/dialogue before i allow myself to really be excited.

I dop hope ofc that this will be great.

All we need is for Galadriel to stop a bunch of rampaging dinos and it'd be GOAT material right there :Venom:

14 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

All we need is for Galadriel to stop a bunch of rampaging dinos and it'd be GOAT material right there :Venom:

I want to say YES.

But i will say NO. Dinosaurs ... as much as it pains me to say it ... would make this show worse.

All that money is definitely on the screen. It looks the part. Hopefully, the story will also deliver and give us characters we care for. Fingers crossed....

EDIT:

What i keep wondering, though - and it is a concern of me - how the hell are they going to maintain those production values throughout seasons. Unless it's the most successful show ever i have my doubts they can and will pump hundreds of millions into it every season, even though a company like Amazon has seemingly limitless resources.

Edited by Elessar

I think they bought the rights while being committed to 5 seasons, but yeah... the budget is so ridiculously big, it is indeed worrying. They probably won't be able to keep spending that much every season unless they're seasons of like 6 episodes.

The story and characters are 100% generic in previews and all emphasis is on expensive CGI landscapes. Everyone speaks in generic riddles (darkness is coming! you haven't seen what I have seen!) and generic power lines (variations of "fight"). There's an overpowered character (Galadirel single handedly downs giant prehistorical animal/monster) so one has to wonder why anyone should be worried about incoming darkness or need an army when they have this one-(wo)man army on their disposal. Like, who needs 4 Armies when you have Legolas defy gravity and kill 100 Orcs with 1 arrow in The Hobbit?  I see a problem here which is typical for OP characters. They either have some type of Kryptonite or you lose stakes and eveything becomes pointless.

I don't like Elrond's face. He looks too modern including his hair. Galadriel looks suitably old era like Cate Blanchett and Miranda Otto in LOTR but this guy and Lemondon (Don Lemon lookalike Elf who is minimized in this preview with other OCs - canon characters are selling point at least in Season 1) just don't cut it for me. It isn't even short hair though that is a problem in its own right, it's modern look. Elrond fits like blond Colin Farrell fit Alexander the Great era. Come to think of it, he resembles Surfer Boy Great a lot. 

Polished look. FFS, couldn't these costumes look any more right out of factory! Nothing here looks lived in, it's all a pose. Even the Hobbit feet don't look like actual dirty feet but like a makeup job.

I mean, this could turn out well and they could hide that the story is compelling and characters well rounded and not generic at all, but previews so far are only concerned with selling the budget of this show and that gives me a pause. We'll see. 

Edited by Valonqar

The wide landscape shots are very good, but I don't really like the way the Numenoreons look.  Some of those scenes in that EW article look like something out of Xena or a Star Trek episode.

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There's an overpowered character (Galadirel single handedly downs giant prehistorical animal/monster) so one has to wonder why anyone should be worried about incoming darkness or need an army when they have this one-(wo)man army on their disposal.

Galadriel is strong, like scary strong.  In the Lore, theres only one person in the 2nd and 3rd ages she couldn't take on by herself, Sauron.  They might be nerfing her for the show since they're making her a warrior type.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The wide landscape shots are very good, but I don't really like the way the Numenoreons look.  Some of those scenes in that EW article look like something out of Xena or a Star Trek episode.

Galadriel is strong, like scary strong.  In the Lore, theres only one person in the 2nd and 3rd ages she couldn't take on by herself, Sauron.  They might be nerfing her for the show since they're making her a warrior type.

Agreed. Galadriel was so strong in canon that she didn't have to wield a sword but she was also very careful about using her power (enhanced by the Nenya ring) because she knew power corrupted and Elves of LOTR timeline didn't interfere in Men's business, so she was using her ring to keep her kingdom hidden. This seems to be Yoda with the lightsaber type of deal. Yoda in ESB was above that cause of his power level, but ADD fans want cheap ass-kicking so Yoda and another too-strong-for-mere-lightsaber character, Palpatine, duked it out in an unintentionally comical sequence. I'm just saying that obsession with over-powered butt-kicking leads film-makers to creating shit that even fans who cheered it start to boo it. Look no further from

Direct result of cheering the shield-surfing.

Edited by Valonqar