DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

lmao delete all those the 1s and 10s on imdb in a few weeks and you'll probably get a somewhat accurate take on public opinion

Majority of 10s aren't the response of review bombing but majority of 1s are review bombing.

Edited by Factcheck
  • Like 1

Not surprised, LOTR just has that level of recognition no matter what the people bombing try to do. I was talking with my mom and the neighbors the day before the premiere and all of them knew the show was dropping and none of them really keeps up with new shows (they are all mid 50s). They also don't know and probably wouldn't give a fuck even if they did about the user reviews.

So long as most of the people checking it out are into it, the bombing is really just meaningless. We'll see how the numbers keep up for that of course.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Not surprised, LOTR just has that level of recognition no matter what the people bombing try to do. I was talking with my mom and the neighbors the day before the premiere and all of them knew the show was dropping and none of them really keeps up with new shows (they are all mid 50s). They also don't know and probably wouldn't give a fuck even if they did about the user reviews.

So long as most of the people checking it out are into it, the bombing is really just meaningless. We'll see how the numbers keep up for that of course.

Also, everyone and their mother has Amazon Prime for the free shipping.  Combine that with a huge IP like Lord of the Rings and its pretty much a guaranteed smash.  It'll be interesting to see if they can hold onto those numbers throughout the first season.

just watched the first two episodes. liked the production value and the vibes but the real issue is there's like 20 main characters and none of them really grabbed me. any great show i'm already picking my favourite by the end of the first episode no one stood out here they're all bland.

• Like 1

Ijust have to repeat, the inablity to draw upon the Sil is going to create huge problems with some of the plotlines they are  obviously going to do,

The main problem is the total lack, so far, of any mention of the Valar and Iluvatar...the Gods..or God..of Middle Earth, I can't for the life of me, get how they do the Numenor saga without them.

Tolkien pushen this angle into the deep backgrouns in the Hobbit and LOTR so it could be ignored, you just can't do that with some of the  plotlines they are setting up.At least convincingly.

38 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Honestly, expected viewership numbers to be higher, at first I thought that was just a domestic number like HOD but that’s a global number. Still good either way. 

It is a global number but only first 24 hours still seems pretty good, likely not as big as HotD on a global basis sure but that is like comparing every blockbuster film opening to the biggest MCU films, GoT is a hugely popular IP more so than even LotR/Middle Earth in recent times. I expect that number will continue to grow as well, obviously what is more important is what percentage of people finished the episodes and plan to continue watching which we got absolutely no indication of and will likely have to rely on third party information to get a rough picture of that. 

• Like 2

team america vomit GIF

How is a major news organisation writing this nonsense. 

Was Zaslav scared that Rings on Power would overshadow HotD and ask CNN to put out the hit (sarcasm) but seriously has CNN always done this or are the comments under the tweet right that this actually is a change to appeal to a Fandom Menace style audience by CNN. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Potiki said:

It is a global number but only first 24 hours still seems pretty good, likely not as big as HotD on a global basis sure but that is like comparing every blockbuster film opening to the biggest MCU films, GoT is a hugely popular IP more so than even LotR/Middle Earth in recent times. I expect that number will continue to grow as well, obviously what is more important is what percentage of people finished the episodes and plan to continue watching which we got absolutely no indication of and will likely have to rely on third party information to get a rough picture of that. 

Oh, I’m not trying to downplay the numbers but I guess cause I thought prime had so many members the numbers would be a bit more globally. I wasn’t expecting it to match HOD globally tbh, like you said it would be like comparing certain franchises to the mcu. Probably this has more to do with me seeing HOD numbers just a few days before and setting unrealistic expectations for this show. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Elessar said:

Not really mixing it up. I asked whether you have watched it because it seemed you haven't. I guess what i was trying to say is i was perceiving some selective reading from your part, putting more stock on the negative voices. To be fair, it is always difficult to get a sense of what the general consensus really is among common folk, doubly so when aggregate user review sites get review bombed by the angry mob.

Just finished episode 1 and quite liked it. Not taking stock in the negativity, just saying that the haters are predictable and are steering the audience reactions. But we all know that.

I agree that the first episode was a bit slow and could use more action, but I think that would be what knocks it down just a little. They are telling separate stories of separate characters who will come together likely as a kind of fellowship later on. If people really do honestly hate it for how slow it is, they have to realize that most shows are a bit like this. Loki was MUCH slower for much longer than this and didn't tell much of any story until Sylvie showed up. Nothing happened and nobody even spoke much for the first bit of Mandalorian. And even Obi-Wan dragged a bit to start. This is an 8-hour fest. So they spend more time getting to know the ins and outs of the characters whereas that would take up about 20 minutes in a 2-hour movie. So the ratio is the same.

Personally, I think much of the complaining about not enough action is an American phenomenon of wanting to be thrilled all the time.

I think the 84% that the critics give it fits.

• Like 3

Back in April 2021 Amazon said they had ~175m people who had watched something in the last 12 months, that period of time was during the height of the COVID pandemic in much of the world. Also active viewers (be it you view that as Monthly, Weekly, Daily) would all be much lower.

So at the high end having 1/7th of your user base watching in the first 24 hours seems pretty good to great from my perspective, but how much of the show each of those ~25m people watched is in question which could either make it more or less impressive. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

team america vomit GIF

How is a major news organisation writing this nonsense. 

Was Zaslav scared that Rings on Power would overshadow HotD and ask CNN to put out the hit (sarcasm) but seriously has CNN always done this or are the comments under the tweet right that this actually is a change to appeal to a Fandom Menace style audience by CNN. 

Not the US Politics Thread, but CNN leadership appears to have...

— ah man, I want to choose my words carefully here — decided it wants to "court the center of US politics".  Well, that's what they're saying.  What they have actually done is firing/getting rid people who are either left-of-center or have been having a habit of criticizing the MAGA movement/Trump in the US.

One could just say that they're getting rid of outspoken "liberal" firebrands, except John Harwood is no one's idea of a liberal rabble-rouser.

In practice people are noting the politics of folks like John Malone and presuming (rightly, IMO) that they're having the ear of folks like new CNN head Chris Licht.

If I want to give a scintilla of fairness to Licht, CNN isn't going Full Fox.  But what they're absolutely doing is treating the current loud voices in the GOP as Just Another Political Viewpoint and not something much much more base and worrisome to the body politic of the US. 

Trying to dance around this because this isn't the US Politics Thread and because folks are (again IMO, rightly) jittery over here about the changes going on over at CNN.  If I had a guess, they're not going Full Fox or even Fox-Lite like some think/fear.   Too many anti-Trump voices like Anderson Cooper still on the network in prime slots.

What it appears they are gonna do is play footsie with various "respectable" MAGA voices/not push back against them unless they're really doing something bad.  Which, frankly, is more than bad enough. CNN might not be the NY Times, but they have a similar rep as a Broadcaster of Record, and they're jeopardizing that something fierce.

Anything else I have to say really is out of the bounds of this thread.

As such, and pulling this on topic finally, I see that more as a part of the general "courting right leaning viewers/readers" mandate and less "put out a hatchet on an Amazon property". If only because CNN is a pretty vast organization and I don't know if "try to kneecap the competition" would filter that far down.

Or it could just be a coincidence.  But to paraphrase the great philosopher Garak, while I realize that coincidences happen every day, that doesn't mean I trust them.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is 25 million worldwide viewers a big number? She-Hulk 1 episode will have at least 700M minutes of views, even if we assume that every single viewer has watched the entire 35-minute episode, it still gets 20M views and that's only domestically. She-Hulk is just one example here.

Edit: Ok TROP data is of 1st day only.

Edited by Factcheck

So if they got 25 million viewers worldwide, it's probably around 7-8 million viewers in North America for the first 24 hours. I'm going based on the fact LOTR & Hobbit movies tend to have 70% of their box office in overseas markets. House of the Dragon had 10 million North American viewers in about 12 hours, but we don't know the overseas number for it. Pretty darn good numbers for Rings of Power, regardless. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Factcheck said:

Is 25 million worldwide viewers a big number? She-Hulk 1 episode will have at least 700M minutes of views, even if we assume that every single viewer has watched the entire 35-minute episode, it still gets 20M views and that's only domestically. She-Hulk is just one example here.

Edit: Ok TROP data is of 1st day only.

Also, She-Hulk isn't gonna sniff 20m viewers in its first week of viewing if ***Loki*** didn't come close to it until it was already done:

Taken from the Streaming Tracking thread (random post)

Loki

Week 1 — 731M mins (731M mins) / 51 mins (51 mins) - 14.3M views

Week 2 — 886M mins (1617M mins) / 54 mins (105 mins) — 15.4M views

Week 3 — 713M mins (2330M mins) / 42 mins (147 mins) — 15.85M views

Week 4 — 813M mins (3143M mins) / 48 mins (195 mins) — 16.1M viewss

Week 5 — 1080M mins (4223M mins) / 49 mins (244 mins) — 17.3M views

Week 6 — 1011M mins (5234M mins) / 46 mins (290 mins) — 18M views

Week 7 — 386M mins (5620M mins) / 0 mins (290 mins) — 19.4M views

Wk8 — 180M mins (5800M mins)/ 0 mins (290 mins) — 20M views

Most of the other Marvel shows (not named Ms. Marvel) were in the 9m to 10m range (+/-).

If I had to guess, due to the subject matter, She-Hulk will be more than Ms. Marvel, but less than Falcon.  Only a guess though, as I haven't been paying attention to secondary metrics like trailer views, # of IMDB ratings, or even just random comments/google impressions.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Also, She-Hulk isn't gonna sniff 20m viewers in its first week of viewing if ***Loki*** didn't come close to it until it was already done:

Taken from the Streaming Tracking thread (random post)

Most of the other Marvel shows (not named Ms. Marvel) were in the 9m to 10m range (+/-).

If I had to guess, due to the subject matter, She-Hulk will be more than Ms. Marvel, but less than Falcon.  Only a guess though, as I haven't been paying attention to secondary metrics like trailer views, # of IMDB ratings, or even just random comments/google impressions.

Ok I think I got data wrong. Moon Knight debut with 418M minutes & Ms Marvel with 249M minutes so no way She Hulk will debut with 700M minutes on Nielsen chart.

Edited by Factcheck
  • Like 1

Nielsen probably not a good metric compared to internal data for multiple reasons, Nielsen is very very likely under what the actual figure is due to it being limited to TV views (no mobile, laptop etc.) also even with a good representative panel (which has been questioned by the broadcast networks post Covid) it still doesn’t compare to the exact concrete data the streamers have. I would say Nielsen is more just a good guide of popularity/competition across the different streamers which we most likely won’t get Rings of Power data for roughly a month so no point dwelling on that too much.

Anyway HotD doubled its viewership from night 1 to full week but important to note that was scheduled on linear TV and probably a bit frontloaded due to such a high % of people who have HBO watching that first night, I wouldn’t be shocked if Rings of Power does more than double that 25m worldwide figure it’s first week but that is just a gut feeling.

• Like 4