DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

Galadriel rode with Feanor and her brothers. Ride means ride into battle so warrior Galadriel is canon. Tolkien just didn't describe action scenes with her cause Tolkien fight scenes are usually someone's death scene. Gil-Galad and Elendil fight Sauron, both die. Isildur cuts Sauron's ring finger, Sauron "dies". Eowyn fights The Witch King of Angmar, The Witch King dies. You get the idea.

Regardless of audience reception, I confidently predict that shippers will ship Galadriel and Miriel (fem ship) and Galadriel and Sauron (het ship). And whatever 2 male characters turn out shippy. No way they'll ship Galadriel and Celeborn, her husband. No one ever shipped that couple. :lol: Celeborn is the most boring character, literally known only as her husband but no one knew why the heck she married him. :wacko:

Edited by Valonqar

9 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Speaking of Celeborn, Marton Csokas would've been pitch perfect casting as prideful turned mad king Ar-Pharazon declaring war on God.

:bravo:That is a pitch perfect casting if there was ever one. Marton does prideful like nobody's business. 

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

One thing that does stand out to me is that pretty much every review that praised it said how big and beautiful it was but never talked about the plot.

Btw, when does the actual review embargo lift (for RT and IMBD)?

IIRC, I’ve seen some tweets mentioning how they can talk more about it Aug 31st. That would make sense with the theatrical showings being that day.

• Like 2

Neither the first or the second episode ending with a very clear cut big hook for the viewers is astounding to me. But the reviews are pretty good. Not a slam dunk hit and they probably hoped for better, but the potential is there.

• Like 4

On 8/26/2022 at 1:42 PM, Ozymandias said:

Whining about diversity is chud 101

Unfortunately its been so loud thanks to the lucrative grift its become that its completely drowned out any legitimate concerns or skepticism.  This is becoming increasingly common with many IPs.

Mine have been about many of the costume/armor designs we've seen in the promotional material, stated lore compression/changes, some wildly miscast roles such as old androgynous librarian Celebrimbor or dweeb Elrond.  That latest trailer felt more akin to one of those YA genre movies that were popular in the early/mid 2010s than any kind of adaptation of Tolkien.

Complaining about diversity in a fantasy drama is jokes

Its fantasy you can have black dwarves or purple ones 

Like I can get in historical based dramas like in Vikings they cast a female viking as black female, it gets a bit odd then. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Complaining about diversity in a fantasy drama is jokes

Its fantasy you can have black dwarves or purple ones 

Like I can get in historical based dramas like in Vikings they cast a female viking as black female, it gets a bit odd then. 

Well the Edain and especially the Eldar are described numerous times as very fair in appearance and Middle Earth was obviously inspired by old European legends and folklore with certain characters described very specifically in appearance.  Galadriel for instance is described as the the mightiest and fairest of all the Eldar with golden hair so its not something I'd automatically dismiss entirely out of hand simply because its a fantasy, I think that rationale can be overused and even lazy depending on the circumstances.  At the same time though, anyone expecting a lily white Tolkien adaptation in 2022 is at best a moron and at worst a bigot.  Besides, its an adaptation, not canon, and nobody can ever change the source material so that makes the people so hung up on diverse casting look even dumber.