DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

Given how everybody was whining in the SB thread, I was expecting some garbage ugly-ass/cheap visuals, but it was... fine?  Good even?  Looks Tolkien-ish at any rate. 

No idea how it's actually gonna be plot wise, but the look is good.  Especially for a TV series.

• Like 3

Hmm, the trailer hasn't made as big a splash as I expected. Of course Prime Video is a small account, but I was expecting this to be their biggest trailer by far, and while it may indeed be the biggest, it could be pretty close. Not sure if it will have enough juice to beat Boys S2 in likes.

Prequel syndrome

What's so exciting about a story that we already know the outcome of?

edit: it's also why movies like NWH and Doctor Strange 2 have so much hype for them right now. You need to watch it to know what's happening next

Edited by Daxtreme

2 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

Hmm, the trailer hasn't made as big a splash as I expected. Of course Prime Video is a small account, but I was expecting this to be their biggest trailer by far, and while it may indeed be the biggest, it could be pretty close. Not sure if it will have enough juice to beat Boys S2 in likes.

In terms of views it already surpassed Boys s2 in only 15 hours. Likes it only has half as much so far. There's quite a hate campaign going on against it for it going woke as they say. Oh the stupidity...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Elessar said:

In terms of views it already surpassed Boys s2 in only 15 hours. Likes it only has half as much so far. There's quite a hate campaign going on against it for it going woke as they say. Oh the stupidity...

Well Boys S2 is only the likes champion for Amazon. Jack Ryan has the most views I think at 20M. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

There's a large cottage industry of, well, grifter geek/nerd youtubers whose entire business model is based on generating hate clicks about various media and franchises being too "left" "woke" etc.  To them, anything even vaguely progressive in media is an assault on their own turf...getting invaded by outsiders looking to steal and pervert their fun without adding anything of value.    So anything that comes out these days is gonna get attacked anyway by them for being too "left" "woke" even if all it does is have Galadriel wearing a suit of armor.  The comment sections for this trailer on youtube are nothing but wall to wall “Evil cannot create anything new, they can only corrupt.” - J.R.R Tolkien.  These comments are Gamergate style nerd resentment crystallized.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

So anything that comes out these days is gonna get attacked anyway by them for being too "left" "woke" even if all it does is have Galadriel wearing a suit of armor. 

I only hope some of them have Arwen avatars. 

(OG veterans of the first wars over LOTR in live action know what I am referring to :ph34r:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

i genuinely do not understand the hate that I've seen for this. Is this really over skin colour? It's not even set in the same universe as the films, right?

Even setting aside the cottage industry Ozymandias mentioned, Tolkien has always attracted an... interesting set of purists that can make even the most rabid fans of other properties lean back and arch an eyebrow.  As you might recall if you were active at the time, the LOTR trilogy had a particularly vicious bout of fighting over even the slightest of changes, so one can imagine how things like Arwen having an expanded role or the axing of Tom Bombadil might have had at the time.

Add in the relative disappointment over the Hobbit films, a less than stellar reaction to WOT, much more amorphous source material and just the overall GamerGate-ification of parts of geek fandom that Ozymandias referred to, seeing a backlash isn't surprising.  The actual reasons don't matter so much as there is fertile ground here to be sown.

But to be sure it isn't just "nerd resentment" at play.  There is fear talking, I think.  Not exactly sure what actual sources the team here is using from Tolkien, but the underwhelming reaction to The Hobbit had left more than a few folks gun-shy over someone playing in the LOTR sandbox without hard guardrails.  That this is a different team isn't really an issue except there's a lack of a track record to go on.  So if some folks are, oh let's use a nice neutral word and say "apprehensive" over all of this, doesn't take much to stir up agitated feelings among the more excitable folks in that group.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I only hope some of them have Arwen avatars. 

(OG veterans of the first wars over LOTR in live action know what I am referring to :ph34r:)

Lol and everyone shut up about Arwen after they saw the movies because nobody could hate shots like these.

4k-fellowship-movie-screencaps.com-13164

4k-fellowship-movie-screencaps.com-15512

4k-fellowship-movie-screencaps.com-15624

4k-twotowers-movie-screencaps.com-18132.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 1:19 PM, Avatree said:

i genuinely do not understand the hate that I've seen for this. Is this really over skin colour? It's not even set in the same universe as the films, right?

c0nrtnlkmzh81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

I guess this explains the show's different looking aesthetic.  Same universe, but a different adaptation of it not connected to the Jackson trilogy.

AMAZON'S 'THE RINGS OF POWER' TEASER SETS NEW SUPER BOWL RECORD WITH 257 MILLION VIEWS IN FIRST DAY

Never underestimate the power of J.R.R Tolkien. The first teaser trailer for Amazon's The Lord of the Rings television series — subtitled The Rings of Power — set a new Super Bowl viewership record within the first 24 hours of debuting online. Per the company's official announcement, the minute-long footage racked up a whopping 257 million online views across the planet, the highest number of any entertainment trailer (film, television, or streaming) that has ever premiered during a telecast of the Big Game.

Not bad....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Probably went something like “Add the peak Super Bowl viewers to the total. That definitely counts.”

As I scan YouTube, I see:

Prime Video: 18.8m

PV LATAM:    17.2m

PV India:       13.0m

PV India #2:   6.0m

PV UK:          4.8m

PV Italia:       2.3m

That's from the top 6 on YT alone.  That shit adds up in a hurry.  Add in auto-play on various Twitter and Facebook channels (plus other socials and their own app/service)... Well, I wouldn't stake my life on 250m+ views, but it ain't nothing, either.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As I scan YouTube, I see:

Prime Video: 18.8m

PV LATAM:    17.2m

PV India:       13.0m

PV India #2:   6.0m

PV UK:          4.8m

PV Italia:       2.3m

That's from the top 6 on YT alone.  That shit adds up in a hurry.  Add in auto-play on various Twitter and Facebook channels (plus other socials and their own app/service)... Well, I wouldn't stake my life on 250m+ views, but it ain't nothing, either.

I’ll admit I didn’t do my due diligence beyond the main YT channel, but I’m surprised how strong the LATAM and India channels are. I can definitely see it now depending on socials

• Like 1