Finnick

Weekend Thread | Estimates: T:R 57.08M, DH2 29.65M, MOTOE 28.68M, ABMC 11.47M, 32.4K PTA for Lady Bird (Deadline, p.46) | The box office is good again!

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

While we don't have the age skew yet - assuming its at least 60% over the age of 30 the Sunday drop is reasonable if not a bit lite. -38% would be solid considering fall sundays for adult pics can run over 40%.

Seems like that’s what happened. From the deadline article:

20th Century Fox is to be commended on Murder on the Orient Express, specifically the studio was able to dynamite a bulk of the sophisticated adult fanbase out of their homes to see this movie this weekend. Understand that demo is typically slow to arrive to the multiplex, and the fact that close to 50% over 50 fueled this movie to $28.2M is very respectable.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Seems like that’s what happened. From the deadline article:

Not shocking in the least - this is exactly the type of film that the older crowd doesn't get often from the big studios. While not in that demo I am grateful because I can only stand so many young-skewing flicks lol.

Thor has overtaken WW and Logan in OS already (worldwide for Logan too) and closing in on Guardians 2 which it will easily overtake. Whether it can out do SMH's 546 OS gross will depend on how it holds against JL this coming weekend

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A bit surprising that Lady Bird (its incredible second weekend hold notwithstanding) had a bigger OW PTA than Three Billboards did, but it'll be interesting to see how they perform as they reach a wider release.

I could very much see it become A24's biggest release to date, especially since its praise seems to remain unanimous. TBOEM might not be locked for Best Original Screenplay, and the window could be open for this to steal Best Comedy/Musical at the globes. Will be an exciting run to track.

1 minute ago, spaghetti! said:

A bit surprising that Lady Bird (its incredible second weekend hold notwithstanding) had a bigger OW PTA than Three Billboards did, but it'll be interesting to see how they perform as they reach a wider release.

I could very much see it become A24's biggest release to date, especially since its praise seems to remain unanimous. TBOEM might not be locked for Best Original Screenplay, and the window could be open for this to steal Best Comedy/Musical at the globes. Will be an exciting run to track.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Lady Bird ends up being one of the bigger grossers among the Oscar movies this year. It seems like the kind of film you could take even your grandparents to see without reservation, unlike other contenders (Three Billboards is probably too dark to connect with the masses, Call Me by Your Name too gay, The Shape of Water too weird, etc.). It won't be another Juno but I think it'll be around all Oscar season long.

With around 90m DOM, and say 230m WW, we should get a sequel if Branagh and Fox want to do one.

I'm assuming France and Italy are some countries left to go.

Edited by MrPink

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Think Thor 3 in July like would have done 350 domestic and 600 million overseas. 

July 28th, 2017 was the originally planned release date for Ragnarok.

But I couldn’t remember for sure whether Homecoming addition push back that. More likely the date change was due to Marvel taking their time finding a director though. 

8 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Wow! First solo-movie for Natasha Romanoff. Neat. :jeb!:

Now, almost all the Avengers have their own solo-movie which would/will become franchises. First Iron Man, then Hulk, then Thor, then Captain America and now Black Widow.

And none for Hawkeye bye. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1