WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

holy crap that surprised me! 

I mean, it's Illumination so I expected this to be more aimed at kids, or perhaps the animation to be minions level (which is fine for a kids movie).

But my oh my they blew my expectations out the water with that trailer. When Mushroom Kingdom appears, I had little chills run down my spine, and I'm not even a big mario fan, I've played the mario kart games and super smash bros on DS but that was it. 

This is going to do big big money. If the story is good enough, I genuinely feel Frozen 2 is in danger here. A lot of things still have to go right for that to happen, sure, but it is right on track as of now. 

• Like 1

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

did people react the same way to the detective pikachu trailer?

Yes, but the main issue there was that almost all the good shots from the movie involving Pokemon were in that trailer. 

The difference here is, it would be pretty damn impossible for the entire rest of the movie not to feature any of mario, luigi or the fantastical worlds :)

31 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Yes, but the main issue there was that almost all the good shots from the movie involving Pokemon were in that trailer. 

The difference here is, it would be pretty damn impossible for the entire rest of the movie not to feature any of mario, luigi or the fantastical worlds :)

Nah this could totally be another detective Pikachu situation.

I know it feels like reverse Sonic with Mario and Luigi entering the Mushroom Kingdom for the first time but actually it makes sense because the original DK games as well as Wrecking Crew and Mario Bros are set in a more realistic setting whereas from Super Mario Bros onwards it's the Mushroom Kingdom, I wonder if this is set between Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros, even Super Mario Odyssey has New Donk City which seems more realistic in terms of its denizens apart from Pauline. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cookie said:

If there’s a list of Top 10 instantly forgotten IP movies Detective Pikachu is Top 5. Warcraft and Assassins Creed are up there too.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

did people react the same way to the detective pikachu trailer?

Yes but huge difference. One being Universal and Illumination know how to sell a family film unlike WB who is arguably the most incompetent at it, two with the Illumination brand it’s likely to skew younger than Pikachu. Seems more like Incredibles 2 than a Lightyear or Pikachu.

• Like 1

Pratt is sleepwalking through this.

Jack Black has THE RANGE. Keegan is perfect for Toad and funny. Also Dry Bones are in this! I like how the harkens to the origins. I'm not a big Mario fan but I'm more excited about this than I was for Sonic.

• Like 1