WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

i was always more of a sonic kid. partly because we never really had nintendo consoles growing up so i didn't play a ton of mario and sonic easily had better cartoons. now i think i can recognise that mario def has better games. and this gonna gross more than sonic 1 and 2 combined.

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

So any reason why people are expecting it to do double Sonic and Detective Pikachu?

The voice cast made me think they were going for a weird, meta tone like Pikachu, a movie which financially wasn't all that. The trailer flipped that expectation upside down as it looks like an earnest epic adventure. If it reviews well it can easily be a smash hit, so doubling Pikachu is possible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

So any reason why people are expecting it to do double Sonic and Detective Pikachu?

Mario nostalgia + full animation instead of a hybrid. Basically, it doesn’t look/feel like a “video game movie” and those other 2 still did.

Edited by Wolverpool XXR
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolverpool XXR said:

Mario nostalgia + full animation instead of a hybrid. Basically, it doesn’t look/feel like a “video game movie” and those other 2 still did.

It's possible that being full animation will be more attractive to people, it looks like a videogame movie to the extent the other two do to me though.

3 hours ago, Wolverpool XXR said:

Also, Illumination movies have agressive marketing campaign, only 4 of their 12 movies grossed less than 250M, and Mario has a wayyyyy better realease date than Pikachu

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Also, Illumination movies have agressive marketing campaign, only 4 of their 12 movies grossed less than 250M, and Mario has a wayyyyy better realease date than Pikachu

1. Spring break + Easter Sunday = Very promising OW

2. Fully animated instead of being a live action hybrid

3. Virtually no competition for families until The Little Mermaid in May

8 hours ago, Wolverpool XXR said:

Illumination is also a brand name now.

I think this will land in Minions territory and do 350+ DOM, cross a billion and be another feather in the cap for Illumination. This isn't a Detective Pikachu situation, the Mario movie looks to be a much more marketable animated film with a straightforward adventure premise set in a world familiar to anyone with a the faintest knowledge of Mario. It's gonna be a huge crowd pleaser just like Illumination's other films. 

Edited by Galactic Specter