WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

17 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

Audience score up to 96% with over 1000 verified reviews. It is still unlikely but how hilarious would it be if it pulled an A+ CS after all the meltdowns yesterday.

But nobody here said the bad reviews would necesseraly hurt the numbers, quite the opposite, everyone said it´s still possible audiences can loved it because Illumination does have a track record of bad reviewed movies being beloved by it´s audience

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

But nobody here said the bad reviews would necesseraly hurt the numbers, quite the opposite, everyone said it´s still possible audiences can loved it because Illumination does have a track record of bad reviewed movies being beloved by it´s audience

Agree.  Sing 2 got an A+ for godsakes 

2 hours ago, DisposedData said:

Audience score up to 96% with over 1000 verified reviews. It is still unlikely but how hilarious would it be if it pulled an A+ CS after all the meltdowns yesterday.

Well, some us did say all along though audience reception is going to be great. The “meltdowns” were more about critics being out of touch with what this movie is supposed to be. 

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well, some us did say all along though audience reception is going to be great. The “meltdowns” were more about critics being out of touch with what this movie is supposed to be. 

I don’t know about that. There were definitely some people here who acted like the reviews were going to be the kiss of death for this movie. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know about that. There were definitely some people here who acted like the reviews were going to be the kiss of death for this movie. 

The “meltdowns” from me were about that then. The only way this movie was in trouble at the BO is if it did something wildly different from the games, since that would be a huge risk for its appeal. 

14 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Is a illumination movie so its fun. I really loved Mario and Luigi but Peach... my god. A boring character. We dont need a Mary sue every time 😑

from the trailers I found the Taylor-Joys voice acting annoying

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

This is basically like Detective Pikachu/Sonic where it's super generic kiddie fare and compensates for that by forcing references to that thing you like. Which like...yeah, I like Mario, but I couldn't stand all the forced references to Mario music and power-ups. Felt like I was being patronized the entire time. And give those Sonic movies credit, they actually have good voice acting. It doesn't matter of course, since 99% of people will still like it because it's based off a property they like, but it would be really nice if these video game movies bothered to aim higher than just be mindless fluff for 8-year-olds. Oh well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

This is basically like Detective Pikachu/Sonic where it's super generic kiddie fare and compensates for that by forcing references to that thing you like. Which like...yeah, I like Mario, but I couldn't stand all the forced references to Mario music and power-ups. Felt like I was being patronized the entire time. And give those Sonic movies credit, they actually have good voice acting. It doesn't matter of course, since 99% of people will still like it because it's based off a property they like, but it would be really nice if these video game movies bothered to aim higher than just be mindless fluff for 8-year-olds. Oh well.

Nintendo has a history of wanting to play it safe. Look what has happened to the paper Mario games after 1000 year door. ( one of the 1st things you see in that game is gallows and a noose.)

7 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Nintendo has a history of wanting to play it safe. Look what has happened to the paper Mario games after 1000 year door. ( one of the 1st things you see in that game is gallows and a noose.)

They've gotten a little better. The Wii and DS days were dark times of playing it safe though

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

....Uh huh. Does he know that he was playing a fake Italian?

How is Hollywood hiring a Columbian-American actor to play a fictional Italian groundbreaking? The era when movie studios treated actors as interchangeably ethnic is hardly something to be celebrated.

Anya Taylor-Joy has a major role in the new version. Is he saying that doesn't count because Princess Peach isn't as important as Mario and Luigi, or that Anya doesn't really count as Latina for...reasons? Representation in Hollywood is important, but come on, man, there are bigger hills to die on the animated Super Mario movie.

• Like 2