DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed Aquaman to late 2019/2020 and fasttracked Flashpoint to early/mid 2019 in order to give this whole DCEU thing a hard reboot and pretend none of this ever happened. Figure some way to keep the events and cast of Wonder Woman untouched in the continuity, reshuffle everything else (that may have to include throwing Cavill and Affleck away, which is a shame but oh well) and you're good to go.

I don't see why they would push Aquaman when it's already finished filming. Better to just get it over with.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed Aquaman to late 2019/2020 and fasttracked Flashpoint to early/mid 2019 in order to give this whole DCEU thing a hard reboot and pretend none of this ever happened. Figure some way to keep the events and cast of Wonder Woman untouched in the continuity, reshuffle everything else (that may have to include throwing Cavill and Affleck away, which is a shame but oh well) and you're good to go.

I don't dig that. You are not my man. Not Aiiiight.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Is it, though? It was already bound to see a decrease from the first considering the reception it got, and if Justice League lost over 40% of the audience from Batman v Superman...

Yeah, on opening weekend. I doubt when all is said and done it will lose 40% of BvS's audience.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I feel bad for Cavill. With a different director he coulda been a great Superman.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, will they try to make a Days of Future Past in the DCEU?

They'll probably make that Flash movie (if it's still happening) have him go through one of the time loops into an alternate universe and that keeps the events of Wonder Woman and ditches...close to everything else. We need to wait and see how Aquaman is/does first.

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

I don't see why they would push Aquaman when it's already finished filming. Better to just get it over with.

Wouldn't be the 1st time that they released a film long after it was finished. Wasn't BVS done with like a year in advance before promotion even began?

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I don't dig that. You are not my man. Not Aiiiight.

I'm not saying they should do that, I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I mean, why not at this point? What do they have to lose? They don't even have to recast the actors if that's what bothers you, and it bothers me too as I do think that casting has been strong for the DCEU so far (except Lex Luthor.... put the Eisenberg idea in the recycle bin and get Bryan Cranston on it, cause holy shit how do you not see that is a brilliant idea... hell I'll take Vince Vaughn as Lex Luthor over Jesse Eisenberg at this point).

5 minutes ago, Orestes said:

I feel bad for Cavill. With a different director he coulda been a great Superman.

In fairness to Snyder I don't think any director could've really saved the character with Goyer and Nolan's script for MoS. That thing was broken even before Snyder touched it.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

They'll probably make that Flash movie (if it's still happening) have him go through one of the time loops into an alternate universe and that keeps the events of Wonder Woman and ditches...close to everything else. We need to wait and see how Aquaman is/does first.

Doing an alternate universe would be terrible. Nah, i highly doubt that will happen. They will continue or ditch everything. Well, they will restart everything... eventually...

Does 94 million v 96 million really make a difference at this point? I have never seen more of a pile on thread. The same mocking/laughing/gloating for near 200 pages. I sure hope when a Marvel movie is disappointing (that will eventually happen), DC fans don’t do the same thing that has gone on here. 

I am a fan of both studios. I loved WW and I also loved Spider-Man: Homecoming and Logan. I think it is very disappointing and sad what happened to JL this weekend. Trust me, we get that the movie vastly underperformed. Horse beat dead, dead and dead. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

In fairness to Snyder I think few directors could've saved the character with Goyer and Nolan's script for MoS. That thing was broken even before Snyder touched it.

If it weren't for BvS i would agree. He doubled down on those broken parts. As it stands, though, Cavill's Superman isn't even the best current live action version of a Superperson. All time i'd probably put him below Dean Cain's.

Edited by Orestes

56 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I didn't calculate it, i used Deadline's analysis, which said AS2 had a 12% cash on cash return.

Deadline make gross estimate from what is publicly known, but they cannot know how much the movie cost to do for example, that is private, they can have some clue from some public tax credit from some jurisdiction that make them public.

Deadline understimated the movie cost a little bit, they had

production cost: $255m

Participation: $10m (that is one of the hardest to estimate, how much actor / director are paid and their bonuses is usually really private)

World Releasing cost: $175m

Total: $440m

In reality it was:

production cost: $263.95m

Participation: $44.25m

World Releasing cost: $191.79m

Total: $499.99m (500million production+bonus+release is quite the expensive movie, depending on peoples deal could even be higher than justice league)

They also overestimated the revenues by almost 40m (all their estimate are almost spot on, expect foreign home entertainment were the movie under-performed quite a bit).

Deadline are really good, pretty much the best we see out there, but even their numbers must be taken has just a rough estimate, specially in the spending that they cannot obviously really know the actual budget of the movie even less the above the line back end deals, estimating home video performance is not easy has well, it follow the box office quite well (correlation R2 of around 0.8) but far from a direct linear formula, loved movie do significantly more than so-so or not loved movie there.

If the movie would have achieved a 12% return on a 70m profit (like the first amazing spider man did) than yes you would be right, it would have not been too far from the studio objective of 110m for total success and would have been a moderate success, but that was not the case.

That is why, that it is funny when people make some declarative statement about a movie making money or not (when it is not obvious case like Star wars or King Arthur), we do not know, they are each their own story.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Doing an alternate universe would be terrible. Nah, i highly doubt that will happen. They will continue or ditch everything. Well, they will restart everything... eventually...

They wouldn't ponder a Flashpoint movie if they weren't thinking to do their own days of future past though. It's actually perfect for them cause the only unabashed hit they have is a film that takes place long before any of the others.

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Wouldn't be the 1st time that they released a film long after it was finished. Wasn't BVS done with like a year in advance before promotion even began?

I'm not saying they should do that, I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I mean, why not at this point? What do they have to lose? They don't even have to recast the actors if that's what bothers you, and it bothers me too as I do think that casting has been strong for the DCEU so far (except Lex Luthor.... put the Eisenberg idea in the recycle bin and get Bryan Cranston on it, cause holy shit how do you not see that is a brilliant idea... hell I'll take Vince Vaughn as Lex Luthor over Jesse Eisenberg at this point).

They already have Shazam and Wondr2 in 2019. Likely a Quinn movie too. Flashpoint in 2019 would give 2 Wonder Woman movies in the same year (like this year) and they are not going to squander her potential so soon. No way AQM moves from 2018 imo. WB doesn't have that many big movies next year. FB2 and AQM make the holiday period good for them. Considering Wondr2 is in 2019, I don't think Flashpoint will come before 2020.

Edited by a2knet