DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I’m not saying stop franchises altogether.  I’m saying to limit them a bit and stop making them be so oversaturated in the market.  It’s prohibiting smaller, more original movies from being made because a studio would rather invest money in something like The Dark Tower or The Mummy than they would with any original script floating around in their office.

I agree with this. I look at next year's schedule and it's an eyesore of 2s and 3s and 4s and even further. Most sequels nowadays are actually the 6th, 7th, or 8th film in their franchise because most franchises right now are just reboots or spinoffs of older ones. 

The goal should be to create NEW franchises, not recycle old ones again and again and again. Many of the original films that came out this year were very good but were never meant to be blockbusters. There are tons of original ideas out there that could appeal to a mass audience but Hollywood won't take the risk. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

How is Dunkirk an original movie? It's based on a true story.

It was an original script that Nolan wrote that no one else had written before, was it not?  That by definition makes it an original movie.  Just because it revolves around a historical WWII battle doesn’t mean jack shit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I logged off here since... Thursday? I logged in about 20-30 minutes ago, and I've read at least a dozen posts by this dude just being constantly nasty and negative towards JL. Like, I get it. There is no need for your shitposting.

Oh okay, I think the mods do consider repetitive bashing of certain franchise films poisoning the well.

• Like 1

Just now, tonytr87 said:

I agree with this. I look at next year's schedule and it's an eyesore of 2s and 3s and 4s. 

The goal should be to create NEW franchises. Many of the original films that came out this year were very good but were never meant to be blockbusters. There are tons of original ideas out there that could appeal to a mass audience but Hollywood won't take the risk. 

I *think* there was one point this year when I was setting up the KJ Derby that at least 8? of the Top 10 were sequels.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

58 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

And replace it with what?

Movies we cannot predict because they come from someone mind, 12-15 more movies like Inception/Matrix/first Star Wars/first Jurassic Park/Avatar, not really new take or anything but a different presentation for classics stories/human questioning.

Just now, That One Guy said:

It was an original script that Nolan wrote that no one else had written before, was it not?  That by definition makes it an original movie.  Just because it revolves around a historical WWII battle doesn’t mean jack shit.

I was so nervous about how Dunkirk was gonna end for these english troops stranded on this french beach.

Suspense was killing me.

Such originial and creative story telling from Nolan in this fick.

• Like 1

Just now, RandomJC said:

I'm not sure it works that way.

Dude, have you seen it?  The entire movie is original except for the last shot of the movie, where it shows that

Spoiler

Bruce Willis' character from Unbreakable

is in the same universe as the movie we just watched.  It doesn't affect the story we just watched in any way.  It fits in with the original movies.

3 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

The thing is, it was successful without anybody knowing it was connected to something else...so it might as well have been an original. 

Edited by tonytr87

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I was so nervous about how Dunkirk was gonna end for these english troops stranded on this french beach.

Suspense was killing me.

Such originial and creative story telling from Nolan in this fick.

That's... not what an Original Film means...

3 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

It's a sequel the same way The incredible hulk is a sequel to iron man because Tony cameos at the end I suppose.

I'd call it an original movie but the end simply says it'll be crossing over with another original movie for a sequel

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah we need real original stuff like Avatar. :sparta:

Original is not necessarily about the story, it is much more about how it is told, Avatar visuals were originals.

Cloud Atlas was not original in the sense that it was a book adaptation, it is still in many aspect one of the most "original" giant budget movie of the 2000's.

Same for MadMax Fury Road shooting/editing technics, cinema is not much about narrative.

Edited by Barnack