DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

This debate is so

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

I'm not sure how you can look at the state of Hollywood right now and say there aren't too many franchise films. I'm not advocating for a big change here. I'm not talking about art or anything high falutin' but you keep assuming that for some reason. 

I'm talking about creating more Matrixs and Pirates of the Caribbeans (based on a theme park ride, yes, but a theme park ride has no story or characters to rip off), not Malick films or even Blade Runners. 

The early 2000s were a good balance between original blockbusters and franchises. Today there's a huge imbalance and it's hurting their business. 

Send your genius original script to Hollywood then.

Just now, The Futurist said:

This debate is so

Why the assholery in response to someone advocating for more originality. It's as if you guys prefer it this way. Brand followers instead of movie fans. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

This debate is so

There is some legitimacy to that rhetoric, but it is also usually a ridiculous one.

We should use western government resource to help Syria stabilize the region: take a gun and go do it then.

We should reduce the impact of food producing: Send your new genius crop and Technic then.

We should strive for a more open Internet access worldwide: Go reverse the Chinese regime.

Do you respond: Go make good movie with good roles for minorities every time you hear some lambda person without any talent and/or resource saying that about Hollywood ?

If it was Alan Horn posting on the message board, your respond would make more sense.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, any news from Warner's headquarters?

Any comments on the terrible opening? Any comments on changes, movies?  I'm curious.

Nothing official yet but we already have some nice spin being put on the terrible performance. 

Our path to ultimate box-office success is different from what we thought it would be," says Warners domestic distribution president Jeff Goldstein.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-box-office-setback-dcs-superhero-universe-1059826

T:R
F 5,735,104    -69
S 9,559,369    -60    
S 6,375,127    -57    
WE 21,669,600    -62    
Cume 247,265,770

DH2
F 3,948,302    -64    
S 6,440,130    -44    
S 4,047,278    -45    
WE 14,435,710    -51    
Cume 50,212,157

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

People don't really want "originality", they want "ambition". That can manifest as either a sequel (Blade Runner 2049) or an adaptation (Annihilation)

You haven't seen Annihilation though?

I loved Ex Machina and Oblivion but they weren't exactly crowd pleasing mega blockbusters.

Go to any mall or notice a crowd reaction to the Deadpool 2 teaser and it's clear as day why the Deadpool franchise is a far better investment for the studio.

The industry is full of artist who love making movies as a passion but it's the investors that keep the lights on.

And investors expect to...

Wait for it....

Make money. :qotd:

Edited by grey ghost

41 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

They still tried to make Bad Dads.

Once you try to make Bad Dads, the humiliation stays with you forever.

Oh jesus, that was a thing? What would that even be about? They all leave their children at 6 months old and only visit once a year?

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Our path to ultimate box-office success is different from what we thought it would be," says Warners domestic distribution president Jeff Goldstein.

Yes, yes it is...screw the JL and start developing Nightwing!:)  Deathstroke/Nightwing is Box Office gold with any respectable story...and the budget wouldn't have to be very high for a street-level movie:)...C'mon WB...toss all the crap "movie by numbers stuff" you have planned and go for this one:)...

41 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

Original content is embraced on television, but people don't want to take the risk with movies.

I would be curious to see the percentage of money that goes on franchise&Adaptation&sequels (season 2, 3, 4, etc...)&filler episode&by committy on TV vs Movies.

They do not live or die by first weekend, people that do not have to displace themselves and pay a baby sitter are more open to take a chance, 10 minute on something for sure, but TV has also became extremely IP and format heavy.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

You haven't seen Annihilation?

I loved Ex Machina and Oblivion but they weren't exactly crowd pleasing mega blockbusters.

Go to any mall or notice a crowd reaction to the Deadpool 2 teaser and it's clear as day why the Deadpool franchise is a far better investment for the studio.

The industry is full of artist who love making movies as a passion but it's the investors that keep the lights on.

And investors expect to...

Wait for it....

Make money. :qotd:

You re applying your argument in broad strokes. Deadpool 2 should exist. Pirates 5? Bumblebee? Bad Dads? Oceans 8? Hotel Transylvania 3? Another Grinch remake? 

There's a lot of franchise filler in the marketplace. 

• Like 1

I'm sick of all the CBMs but obviously fans aren't. And there's plenty of material within the general CBM universes to keep generating movies (for now).

But @tonytr87 has a really good point beyond them: at the moment, the studios are desperately rebooting/rebranding existing franchises with little effort at creating new ones. And that might not hurt them in the short term, but it will in the longer run.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I'm sick of all the CBMs but obviously fans aren't. And there's plenty of material within the general CBM universes to keep generating movies (for now).

But @tonytr87 has a really good point beyond them: at the moment, the studios are desperately rebooting/rebranding existing franchises with little effort at creating new ones. And that might not hurt them in the short term, but it will in the longer run.

where's my Inception reboot directed by Lord/Miller

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I'm not sure how you can look at the state of Hollywood right now and say there aren't too many franchise films. I'm not advocating for a big change here. I'm not talking about art or anything high falutin' but you keep assuming that for some reason. 

I'm talking about creating more Matrixs and Pirates of the Caribbeans (based on a theme park ride, yes, but a theme park ride has no story or characters to rip off), not Malick films or even Blade Runners. 

The early 2000s were a good balance between original blockbusters and franchises. Today there's a huge imbalance and it's hurting their business. 

The studios tried other ways to be profitable aka survive (Godfather sequels, Pulp Fiction knock offs).

What you see now is the invisible hand of capitalism working its magic.

If you were given 100 million under the condition that you must spend all of it and you will only be allowed to keep the profits...

Be honest...Would you completely avoid franchise films and popular adaptations?

What would you invest in instead of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and Aladdin (which are pretty much guaranteed to make you a multimillionaire)?

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

Original content is embraced on television, but people don't want to take the risk with movies.

Nothing on TV looks more original than movies to me, this is all just a mind contrusct, nothing more.

It s all be done before I am afraid.

• Like 2