DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

1 hour ago, Harpospoke said:

JL had everything.  

Except one vital missing ingredient.

Green_Lantern_(Ryan_Reynolds).jpg

Thor added some green to the proceedings and brought in the green.

I would have liked to have seen Green Lantern in Justice League, especially after the 2011 film. Though given how JL actually turned out, maybe it's for the best that he was held off till later. 

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Yeah, the crowd making a big deal out of Thor 3s Friday to Friday are ignoring the circumstances and ignoring that this drop was factored into the over 300m predictions from last week. 

Thor is on pace to make 22-23m this weekend, perfectly normal considering that a new super just opened. 

Thor: Ragnarok is doing just fine really. Regardless of the drop, it's on to pace for 310m at least. Thanksgiving should help as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

-15% gives 33.

I think the fact that DC hasn't opened a film in this period makes it harder for comparisons. Even though the skew has always been more adult friendly that's not a bad Saturday increase / fall, just comes from a much smaller starting point than it needed. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Thor: Ragnarok is doing just fine really. Regardless of the drop, it's on to pace for 310m at least. Thanksgiving should help as well. 

Yup, will be at a minimum around 280 after that weekend (barring some unforseen problem) and from there the extra 20m to 300 is easy. 

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yeah, the crowd making a big deal out of Thor 3s Friday to Friday are ignoring the circumstances and ignoring that this drop was factored into the over 300m predictions from last week. 

Thor is on pace to make 22-23m this weekend, perfectly normal considering that a new super just opened. 

That and Veterans Day inflated last w/e and exacerbated the drop for all holdovers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

They are not going to report an estimate that it's not going to happen. Imagine the headlines and how more embarrassing would be.

Sun. est.: Justice League opens to $100M OW.

Mon. act>: Justice League opens to less than previously estimated $100M weekend with actual $9*M.

It has happened plenty of times in the past. They care way more about the Sunday estimate than the Monday actual. Most news media does not even bother reporting the Monday actual. 

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yup, will be at a minimum around 280 after that weekend (barring some unforseen problem) and from there the extra 20m to 300 is easy. 

Really, it should be smooth sailing from here on out until it reaches 300m+. No need to panic people.

Edited by Fancyarcher

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It has happened plenty of times in the past. They care way more about the Sunday estimate than the Monday actual. Most news media does not even bother reporting the Monday actual. 

lol yeah they did this for BvS and even re-adjusted their estimate like an hour before actuals came in. they're pretty shameless.

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I think the fact that DC hasn't opened a film in this period makes it harder for comparisons. Even though the skew has always been more adult friendly that's not a bad Saturday increase / fall, just comes from a much smaller starting point than it needed. 

Yes. +28% is a good increase. But the low true Friday makes it moot.

At least over the weekend it's trending better than MJ2 which did 16 previews and 102 ow (6.4x).

JL should do 94 ow which gives 7.2x+ preview to OW multiplier (but with much smaller numbers than needed).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I would have liked to have seen Green Lantern in Justice League, especially after the 2011 film. Though given how JL actually turned out, maybe it's for the best that he was held off till later. 

I still don't understand why they would choose Cyborg as a character for the first JL film over The Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter.

• Like 2

This weekend made me think of ALICE2's box office performance which was much worse.

It did 77 dom down from ALICE1's 334 (that drop is like like JL doing 76 final dom compared to BVS's 330).

• Like 3

Just now, a2knet said:

This weekend made me think of ALICE2's box office performance which was much worse.

It did 77 dom down from ALICE1's 334 (that drop is like like JL doing 76 final dom compared to BVS's 330).

The difference is that people expected Alice 2 to not do well for a very long time. Justice League had the opposite feeling for a very long time.

2 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

I still don't understand why they would choose Cyborg as a character for the first JL film over The Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter.

Johns' is a fan of character, plus they need diversity. Cyborg has been the seventh member of the Justice League since the New 52. Honestly I wouldn't have minded if they had used John Stewart as the Green Lantern instead, but apparently that property was still tainted because of the 2011 film, when Justice League went into production. 

Just now, Walt Disney said:

The difference is that people expected Alice 2 to not do well for a very long time. Justice League had the opposite feeling for a very long time.

well there are a lot more differences as to why Jl's drop is more unforgivable but didn't mean to go into that. was just thinking of sequels dropping big and still am amazed at alice2's performance. pretty unprecedented and happened while Disney has been on a perpetual high. it's a target audience that suits them and all that.

but there were reasons like 3d helping alice1 (was the 1st 3d movie to release after avatar, just while avatar had begun 'slowing' down). 'alice in wonderland' being a story most have heard off and while 'looking glass' i thought was made up till i checked it exists.

2 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

I think this weekend has helped put 2015 into perspective. If you were here back then, you'll recall that Avengers: Age of Ultron was considered disappointing by some people. Avengers: Age of Ultron's domestic adjusted gross is $477,995M. It is the 93rd highest grossing domestic adjusted film of all-time. Justice League isn't even going to be one of the top 200 domestic adjusted films of all-time. That is something that seemed almost impossible, yet here we are.

JL won't make the top 300 adjusted domestic either.

11 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

He actually has an in-story purpose that would have been harder to fulfill with the other two...

12 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

They probably didn't want an all White line-up. And no Martian Manhunter doesn't count as a minority!