aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

Lady Bird forecast:

Remainder of this week: 2.4M (19.5M Total)

Dec 8: 4.2M (1.9M weekdays, 25.6M Total)

Dec 15: 3M (2M weekdays, 30.6M Total)

Dec 22: 1.7M (2M weekdays, 33.3M Total)

Dec 29: 1.4M (1.4M weekdays, 36.1M Total)
Jan 5: 1.2M (500k weekdays, 37.8M Total)

Jan 12: 700k (500k weekdays, 39M Total)

Jan 19: 700k (400k weekdays, 40.1M Total)

Final Total: 44M

Passing The Big Sick as the highest grossing indie of 2017 (so far) is the goal here. Providing it doesn't fall a significant amount next week, it should hit that mark.

3B:

Remainder of this week: 1.8M (15.5M Total)

Dec 8: 3.5M (1.3M weekdays, 20.3M Total)

Dec 15: 1.5M (900k weekdays, 22.7M Total)

Dec 22: 800k (1.4M weekdays, 24.9M Total)

Dec 29: 1M (1.4M weekdays, 27.3M Total)

Jan 5: 900k (500k weekdays, 28.7M Total)

Jan 12: 500k (400k weekdays, 29.6M Total)

Jan 19: 600k (300k weekdays, 30.5M Total)

Final Total: 34M

This weekend's gross killed its chances at 40M IMO. It should still hit 30M at least, which is a great total.

16 minutes ago, Darth Boh-ne'er said:

Name me any other movie in history that has had a rerelease as successful as that one.  Lion King was close, but still $40m short. 

I still remember the marketing - "See it again, for the first time."  It was a chance for many to see it in the theater for their very first time.  Add in the Special Edition treatment it got, and the knowledge that a new trilogy was a couple years away and it had a HUGE marketing push.  

If they released it again today, it wouldn't come close to $138m.  

It also adjusts to $270m today, which is just mind-boggling.

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

Suburbicon, Pirates 5, Rough Night, Death Note, Boss Baby and Monster Trucks > Thor: Ragnarok

Too bad Valerian won’t even be in the top 25 movies of this year at BOT. Fyck that shitty mess.

10 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Well no shit, but it sure wouldn’t make $415,000 either. I think actually re-released in IMAX and off season it would be huge for a re-release. At least $75 million anyway and I could see much more if handled correctly. TOTAL domestic I mean not first weekend lol.

Either you're being willfully ignorant, or...

As it has been started already, in 2012, for the 100th Anniversay of the Titanic, the 3D rerelease did $57m domestic and another $285m overseas. So, if you are choosing to specifically compare 20th anniversary releases, then yes, SW wins.  But choosing to ignore what Titanic did in 2012 is just stupid. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SM1 and TDK are the only CBMs IMO that come close to Titanic, but Titanic better than every CBM released after it.

If I imagine the first viewing experience and ignore the repeat viewings,

Titanic 10/10

SM1 9.25/10

DOFP 9/10

Edited by a2knet
DEMOTING TDK TO 8.75/10
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

SM1 and TDK are the only CBMs IMO that come close to Titanic, but Titanic better than every CBM released after it.

If I imagine the first viewing experience and ignore the repeat viewings,

Titanic 10/10

SM1 9.25/10

TDK 9/10

I don’t think any CBM is better than Titanic either.  Closest for me are Logan and Days of Future Past.  Spider-Man, Batman Returns, and Iron Man 3 are also up there.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Titanic, Geostorm, Valerian, and A Cure for Wellness > Thor: Ragnarok

Although they're both technically "disaster" films, do you really have to put them in the same sentence? :gold:

18 minutes ago, seduh said:

I think Coco will have a better sunday drop than predicted.

I think so too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Excellent drop for Coco... it should gross at least $ 220M domestic [and i think it has a shot in $ 250M considering there's no Sing this year]

$ 800M worldwide seems more realistic everyday

Interesting the Guardians 2 is probably ending up as Disney's second-lowest grossing major film released this year overseas.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

He jerks off shitty trash like VaLOLerian. Shittiest movie all year.

Have you not seen The Mummy, Emoji Movie, or The Last Knight? A lot of good movies can have bad reviews and a lot of bad movies can have good reviews. Film is subjective.

1 minute ago, Heat Vision said:

Someone who's good with numbers. Where would JL be at if it opened with the same amount as BvS?

As in OW DOM or WW? In a world were JL had great reception and WB didn’t drop the marketing ball, I’d think it’d do around MJ1 numbers.

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Have you not seen The Mummy, Emoji Movie, or The Last Knight? A lot of good movies can have bad reviews and a lot of bad movies can have good reviews. Film is subjective.

Saw The Mummy-thought it was actually watchable and had fun with it. Obviously had a ton of problems, but I didn’t hate it like most on here did. My wife really liked it. Go figure.

Transformers 5- A Goddamn abortion of a film. My worst movie of the year with 50 shades darker.

Emoji movie- Saw it with my wife, sister in law and my three nieces. It was not my cup of tea. I was indifferent to it. We just went and saw it, bc the kids wanted too. Kids loved it.

Edited by KJsooner