aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Netherlands and Scandinavia are likely not the markets to respond to a super-Catholic movie. But it should do excellent business in Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Germany, Ireland, Poland,etc. 

China isn't a Catholic country but they're responding well. I mean, i know Dia de Muertos involves some of Catholicism, but that day is celebrated in Mexico even by non-religious people, because the point of it isn't religious but union of the family and celebrate the spirit of our passed ones. The exact same point of the movie.

I just don't get the statements of Coco "being a Catholic movie"

• Like 3

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Nice, it's close to what Three Billboards did.

It was only in two theaters in NY though (compared to four in LA/NY for Three Billboards). Next week will give us a better read on its potential, though it's expanding to other states as well.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Blade Runner 2049 came out a few months ago.

I adore BR2049 but i woundt define it as an epic movie, its more of a Sci-Fi-Thriller. Its overwhelming and certainly a "big" movie but in a completely different sense than LOTR imo.

8 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Interesting tidbit, even adjusted to ticket inflation, 2016 holds the record for most 300m films. 2017 will be close to a second place tie.

It just shows how lopsided the top has become recently, because it's not as if the BO as a whole is beating other years.

Between Infinity War, Solo, Deadpool 2, The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World & something possibly like Black Panther, 2018 has a lot of potential in terms of 300m grosses as well. I don't think any years is gonna beat 2016 though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Between Infinity War, Solo, Deadpool 2, The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World & something possibly like Black Panther, 2018 has a lot of potential in terms of 300m grosses as well. I don't think any years is gonna beat 2016 though. 

2019 has IX, Lion King, IW2, Frozen 2, Toy Story 4, WW2, Aladdin, SLOP2, Homecoming 2, IT C2, and potentially Shazam, Dumbo, CM, and GVK.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

1 minute ago, mredman said:

good drop for JL Deadline said 15 million and its better than MJ2 and on par with Fantastic Beasts 3rd week last year

Yeah, I am not upset with the number. Deadline said 15.8, but Variety was waaaayy off. They wrote that there would be a fight for second place between Wonder and JL at 15 million. Wonder grossed about 12.5 million. If the estimate are correct for both, then JL grosses 4 million more.

Comparatively speaking,in terms of Fantastic Beast and  Mockingjay 2, I guess this isn’t so bad. After that opening weekend, many speculated that it wouldn’t make 200 million and had it topping out at 180 or around the first Thor movie. Although, this movie has vastly underperformed, it probably won’t be a flop. I enjoyed the movie, but there are definitely things on which WB can improve. 

• Like 2

Just now, YourMother said:

2019 has IX, Lion King, IW2, Frozen 2, Toy Story 4, WW2, Aladdin, SLOP2, Homecoming 2, IT C2, and potentially Shazam, Dumbo, CM, and GVK.

2019 is gonna be "wild". Now that I think about it, it could potentially be the first year where there's not even a 200m grossing film in the top 10 domestic box office at the end of the year. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It was only in two theaters in NY though (compared to four in LA/NY for Three Billboards). Next week will give us a better read on its potential, though it's expanding to other states as well.

The PTA wouldn't have been more than a 5k difference if LA opened this weekend.

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

2019 is gonna be "wild". Now that I think about it, it could potentially be the first year where there's not even a 200m grossing film in the top 10 domestic box office at the end of the year. 

Wicked can breakout as well. SS2 and Gambit have a chance at $300M too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Wicked can breakout as well. SS2 and Gambit have a chance at $300M too.

SS2 might be hurt by JL's reception though. Gambit has potential as well, though I'm also curious to see how it'll turn out, given how long it's actually taken to get it made. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

This will be crossing $1M by the end of the week. What was the last movie to do so in less than two weeks from just 4 theaters other than American Sniper?

Edit: Oh yeah, The Revenant did it as well.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

This will be crossing $1M by the end of the week. What was the last movie to do so in less than two weeks from just 4 theaters other than American Sniper?

Wow. I still think it will struggle mightily when it goes wider but for now this is very impressive.