aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

I was just looking at numbers for limited release, and thought they mistype M instead of K for a release. Well titanic did $659m.

Isn't that little better for disaster artist than before? Good hold for thor, and coco. Both sequel, BM and DH performed good in the end. I still think motoe will do $100m.

8 hours ago, John Marston said:

JL and Wonder with the same weekend number?

:hahaha:

This is kinda like when My Best Friend's Wedding opened at #2 with $21.7M against Batman & Robin which opened to $42.8M. Wedding finished with $127M while Batman petered out at $107. 

tumblr_ne1mr2q9gw1qkjkwao3_250.gif

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

This is kinda like when My Best Friend's Wedding opened at #2 with $21.7M against Batman & Robin which opened to $42.8M. Wedding finished with $127M while Batman petered out at $107. 

tumblr_ne1mr2q9gw1qkjkwao3_250.gif

JRCU

Those Deadline weekend numbers sound way too good to be true, but if Coco somehow does drop under 50% this weekend, it will be the first Thanksgiving chart-topper in nine years to do so. (And on that note: did anyone remember that Four Christmases existed? Neither did I.)

I think Fox may be pushing Three Billboards a little too far too fast. By comparison, The Descendants got only a slight extension over the post-Thanksgiving weekend six years ago. Despite the film's salt-of-the-earth setting and sensibilities, the fact that it's a dark comedy that mines humor from some strange places makes it an odd duck in mainstream multiplexes. I get the sense that it's going to need Oscar nominations at its back and more time to build word-of-mouth to reach its highest potential outside of the areas it hit over Thanksgiving.

Then again, it hasn't been doing as hot as expected on the awards circuit as of yet, so...

I still wonder just how far Moana would have gone (hehe) were it not for Sing. It certainly wasn't the zeitgeisty smash that Frozen or Zootopia ended up being, but the relative strength of its first two holds suggest that it could have gone quite a bit higher if it had reaped the benefit of being the top choice for families over Christmas and New Year's, as Frozen had been.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

It's not a decent number considering its weekdays.

23 is not the right number with 6.3 Fri IMO.

It should have a 90%+ jump on Sat.

12 (90%)

7.8 (-35%)

= 26.1 (-48%)

And a bigger Sat than 12m won't be surprising either, along with a Sunday drop closer to 32% opposed to 35% that I used above.

• Like 3

I think ~17 is the ceiling for JL unless Fri comes higher:

7.7 (+60%) // FB jumped 62% while MJ1/2 jumped 46-49%

4.6 (-40%) // FB dropped 38% while MJ1/2 dropped 41-45%

= 17.1 (-58.4%)

16m (-61%), using a 50% Sat bump and >40%+ Sun drop like MJ1/2, seems more realistic.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I still wonder just how far Moana would have gone (hehe) were it not for Sing. It certainly wasn't the zeitgeisty smash that Frozen or Zootopia ended up being, but the relative strength of its first two holds suggest that it could have gone quite a bit higher if it had reaped the benefit of being the top choice for families over Christmas and New Year's, as Frozen had been.

I still wish it could have been a summer 2017 release, it just had so much competition last Holiday. 

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

Those Deadline weekend numbers sound way too good to be true, but if Coco somehow does drop under 50% this weekend, it will be the first Thanksgiving chart-topper in nine years to do so. (And on that note: did anyone remember that Four Christmases existed? Neither did I.)

Four Christmases is amazing, one of my favorite comedies. Great film!

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

That should be pretty solid for Titanic, no?

Anything is solid for Titanic since it's already made 2 billion dollars and has been out on HV for 19 years.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I absolutely would have gone to see Titanic again this weekend if it had run in my area.

It's still hard to believe that its 20th anniversary hits later this month. I wasn't following box office at the time (after all, I was still in the single digits), but I knew it was huge just from the facts that it continued to show on the fancy new big screen at what was then the high-end theater in my hometown - which is still standing and has since become the dumping ground for adult-oriented films, arthouse fare, and the occasional secondary screen of a blockbuster - for three-and-a-half months and that even some of my classmates had seen it and were obsessed with it - and we were in grade school at the time.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 6