DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

7 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

This is complete bullshit.

This isn't an overreaction. Y'all act like people hate Disney. They're one of the most profitable companies in the world.

People are reacting negatively because this is going to put a lot of people out of work, and will lead to a more noncompetitive market.

Studios are already letting people go and some are shutting down whole divisions.

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Let's discuss things then without the "monopoly claims" and see what are the big franchises that other studios own nowadays. Not to get in needless arguments, I count as a "strong" franchise one that can make at least +$700m OS.

-Warner Bros

• Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts
  • DCEU comics.
  • IT (?!)

-Universal

• Jurrasic World
  • Despicable Me/Minions
  • Fast and Fourious

-Sony

• Bond (!??)

-Paramount

• Transformers (??!)

And now let us look at disney;

• Star Wars
  • Marvel Cinematic (what the owned before the deal)
  • WDAS
  • Pixar
  • Live action adaptations of animated classics
  • Spider Man
  • X-men (Deadpool)
  • Pirates of the Caribean

I am really curious as to how you guys can see potential competition..

If you're going to lump the DCEU together, it's disingenuous to not do the same for Marvel.

So really the list for Disney is:

Star Wars

Marvel

WDAS

Pixar

Live-Action Disney Classics (only a few left)

Avatar? (at least one more... maybe none after?)

Pirates (will they really make more? the next might not make $700 mil WW)

They're really only expanding Marvel's footprint, adding Avatar (which is already included in their parks).

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Studios are already letting people go and some are shutting down whole divisions.

Yes and, this is coming from the most anti-diverting of subject person on this board, the because something else is bad does not mean you people should evade that negative aspect of something, do not talk about something that kill 100 times more people that terrorism getting less effort to get fix because that does not comfort family of victims and diminish is importance. Now going around saying:

This is not as worst than net-neutrality getting away

Globalization and jobs outsourcing

Some studio close section even without being acquired in cost saving synergy move...

Can I ask about your total 180 on this subject versus most others, is it simple (and good for some people to have) contrarian reflex ? Or is there something else here ?

I follow Pablo Hildago on twitter and he said this in response to someone about the original theatrical versions of SW:

Pretty sure we all know who he’s talking about. So, Disney getting the full rights back to ANH doesn’t mean we’ll be seeing the original versions any time soon

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Let's discuss things then without the "monopoly claims" and see what are the big franchises that other studios own nowadays. Not to get in needless arguments, I count as a "strong" franchise one that can make at least +$700m WW.

-Warner Bros

• DCEU comics.
  • IT (?!)

-Universal

• Jurrasic World
  • Despicable Me/Minions
  • Fast and Fourious

-Sony

• Bond (!??)

-Paramount

• Transformers (??!)

• Star Wars
  • WDAS
  • Pixar
  • Spider Man
  • X-men (Deadpool)

:ph34r: Well, there are such things that are NOT 700M WW franchises.

57 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Talking about the 2014 ? one, was it more watched because audience love it more than Whiplash or because it was a franchise movie with a giant marketing budget ?

Is the percentage of people that watched Ninja Turtle and loved it higher than for Whiplash and the reason it made more ? Or it made more because of an higher first weekend because it had more screen and eyeballs before anyone saw the actual products ?

The merchandises sales, sequels possible, China screens because their government say ok to them, movie universe start up possible are also variable that studio's consider, not purely what people want to watch and studios will have advantage to push movies that make those possible over movies that people would prefer, because they would still be more profitable overall.

You can't be suggesting that Whiplash had the potential to be as big as a Turtles movie if only they had marketed it and put it in more theaters.

Studios put movies in a certain number of theaters for a reason.   And it's not because they have some hidden bias against the movies you like.

You are trying to blame the studios for something the public controls.

15 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

This is complete bullshit.

This isn't an overreaction. Y'all act like people hate Disney. They're one of the most profitable companies in the world.

People are reacting negatively because this is going to put a lot of people out of work, and will lead to a more noncompetitive market.

That would be more convincing if we had heard even a small amount of discussion about anything other than Disney during this entire thing.    Comcast and Fox were barely mentioned.

And of course WB and AT&T is fine too.   No problems with that one apparently.

I'm not a fan of this move on pretty much any level.  Disney is going to jack up rates on films and make it even less profitable to show movies.  Disney is also one of the only studios that doesn't license out any of their older content and catalog for theatrical exhibition.  If they are interested in this purchase so they can have content for their streaming service, then your ability to see older movies in theaters gets cut even further.  

No more showings of Alien movies, no showings of Die Hard or Home Alone at Christmas time, no showing of beautiful 35mm Planet of the Apes in theater, no Titanic showings, no The Sound of Music, no Fight Club, no Independence Day on 4th of July.  Basically take away a wealth of content that still plays year after year and goes into the stupid fucking Disney vault.  

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

They're really only expanding Marvel's footprint, adding Avatar (which is already included in their parks).

Planet of the Apes also I think, The Simpsons, X-men developed they own foot print in some market that is not linked to being Marvel/MCU I suspect, like in China, for that one is a bit more than simply expending (like if they would have got rights for property that never had successful movies, like the Fan 4)

Smaller one but still make a franchise only year of release even easier than before:

How to Train Your Dragon,

Kung Fu Panda

Madagascar

Alien

Die Hard

X-Files

Predator

etc...

14 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Let's discuss things then without the "monopoly claims" and see what are the big franchises that other studios own nowadays. Not to get in needless arguments, I count as a "strong" franchise one that can make at least +$700m WW.

-Warner Bros

• DCEU comics.
  • IT (?!)

-Universal

• Jurrasic World
  • Despicable Me/Minions
  • Fast and Fourious

-Sony

• Bond (!??)

-Paramount

• Transformers (??!)

• Star Wars
  • WDAS
  • Pixar
  • Spider Man
  • X-men (Deadpool)

Spider-Man counts for Sony...they got the profit from any solo Spider-Man movie and are making other spider verse movies. Not sure the next Pirates can make $700m WW after the way the last one performed, unless we’re also including past movies. Then I’d include Middle Earth for WB. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

-Warner Bros

• DCEU comics.
  • IT (?!)

-Universal

• Jurrasic World
  • Despicable Me/Minions
  • Fast and Fourious

-Sony

• Bond (!??)

-Paramount

• Transformers (??!)

• Star Wars
  • WDAS
  • Pixar
  • Spider Man
  • X-men (Deadpool)

Warner owns LotR too and Game of Thrones and all produced HBO productions

But yeah this is bad. I can not see how this is allowed that Disney is becoming a monopoly with this deal.

8 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

You can't be suggesting that Whiplash had the potential to be as big as a Turtles movie if only they had marketed it and put it in more theaters.

Studios put movies in a certain number of theaters for a reason.   And it's not because they have some hidden bias against the movies you like.

You are trying to blame the studios for something the public controls.

That would be more convincing if we had heard even a small amount of discussion about anything other than Disney during this entire thing.    Comcast and Fox were barely mentioned.

And of course WB and AT&T is fine too.   No problems with that one apparently.

A lot of people had an issue with WB trying to buy AT&T. But AT&T also doesn't make movies, thus it wasn't a heated discussion here.

10 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm not a fan of this move on pretty much any level.  Disney is going to jack up rates on films and make it even less profitable to show movies.  Disney is also one of the only studios that doesn't license out any of their older content and catalog for theatrical exhibition.  If they are interested in this purchase so they can have content for their streaming service, then your ability to see older movies in theaters gets cut even further.  

No more showings of Alien movies, no showings of Die Hard or Home Alone at Christmas time, no showing of beautiful 35mm Planet of the Apes in theater, no Titanic showings, no The Sound of Music, no Fight Club, no Independence Day on 4th of July.  Basically take away a wealth of content that still plays year after year and goes into the stupid fucking Disney vault.  

Is this even allowed because of monopoly laws ?

because with this deal Disney rule BO forever