DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

2 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Going further, Disney wouldn't have much of a reason to shorten their theatrical windows.  They wouldn't be worried about maximizing DVD revenues, as the movie will simply go the streaming service.

That means less Blu Rays for Han’s sister to take. So... win?

I fully get the monopoly concerns about this but the thing is, haven't WB, Disney, Fox and to a lesser extent Universal already guaranteed that? Sony and Paramount have been struggling and Lionsgate is basically a minor distributor at this point. The bigger worry here is that with this Disney can clearly come out on top over it's equal competitors but if Fox was given to Comcast, wouldn't the same thing happen with Universal?

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, iHeartJames said:

So this is suppose to be a open discussion about the potential merger but pretty much any answer that isn't doom and gloom is frowned upon or quoted with sarcasm

Because anything that isnt doom or gloom is just fan excitement over X-Men

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

You think we ever will see the day Disney buys out WB....or the other way around?

I honestly don't. AT&T will probably end up purchasing WB in the end, and I don't see AT&T going anywhere. I think that with the Fox purchase, Disney will be big enough that they don't have to worry about AT&T (or another large tech company) buying them. I think Disney, WB and Universal will all remain separate major studios.

• Like 3

Just now, iHeartJames said:

So this is suppose to be a open discussion about the potential merger but pretty much any answer that isn't doom and gloom is frowned upon or quoted with sarcasm

There will be unfortunate side effects of it, like Fox no longer being an actual studio that puts out stuff that isn't necessarily Disney-like adult fare like the recent MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS movie that's done decent business or obviously the R rated spandex stuff or Oscar bait (through Fox Searchlight).

At the same time like a train wreck, I'm intrigued about what will happen in the fall out. There will be consequences we won't foresee. I mean what if Feige and the MCU, who've been a shining beacon of success and poster children of the shared movie universe trend, what if them trying to incorporate X-Men/Wolverine/FF/Deadpool/etc. into their pool is what ultimately makes them trip? 

Hell surprisingly I haven't seen the Internet bring up that Feige and Ike will fight about which properties the movies will get and which the TV division will get. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

I fully get the monopoly concerns about this but the thing is, haven't WB, Disney, Fox and to a lesser extent Universal already guaranteed that? Sony and Paramount have been struggling and Lionsgate is basically a minor distributor at this point. The bigger worry here is that with this Disney can clearly come out on top over it's equal competitors but if Fox was given to Comcast, wouldn't the same thing happen with Universal?

To be honest I think if Comcast bought there’d be less artistic outrage and way more monopoly outrage.

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I may be a CBM fan but who the fuck cares about X-Men. There’s a bigger situation going on.

He/she cares about X-men! The thread is to discuss the implications of a possible Fox Studios sale to Disney and everyone else is talking about what they find most important or troubling about it. If someone wants to discuss the comic book movies, since they will be affected, why shouldn’t they? Those who don’t care about those movies can ignore it and continue to discuss what they find important. We should be capable of having and accepting multiple opinions about this issue. Unless there’s a rule that states we must restrict the discussion to only the larger industry implications?

• Like 4

This is great news for Disney forthcoming streaming services. 

I can't say it's great news from a market perspective though. It certainly isn't great news for a few of my relatives who work at blue sky and might be out of jobs in the future. I also think it might set a bad precedent too.

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I suppose the studios were already going to get purchased one way or another. If anything I'm fine with Disney getting Fox over say Comcast. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

Hell surprisingly I haven't seen the Internet bring up that Feige and Ike will fight about which properties the movies will get and which the TV division will get. 

That won't be an issue. The major characters will go to the movie studio. Some of the lesser known mutants will wind up at the TV division.

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

This is great news for Disney forthcoming streaming services. 

I can't say it's great news from a market perspective though. It certainly isn't great news for a few of my relatives who work at blue sky and might be out of jobs in the future. I also think it might set a bad precedent too.

I suppose the studios were already going to get purchased one way or another. If anything I'm glad that Disney got Fox over Comcast. 

Dang I forgot about Blue Sky. They're in trouble. 

1 minute ago, Deja23 said:

He/she cares about X-men! The thread is to discuss the implications of a possible Fox Studios sale to Disney and everyone else is talking about what they find most important or troubling about it. If someone wants to discuss the comic book movies, since they will be affected, why shouldn’t they? Those who don’t care about those movies can ignore it and continue to discuss what they find important. We should be capable of having and accepting multiple opinions about this issue. Unless there’s a rule that states we must restrict the discussion to only the larger industry implications?

Ppl can post about X-Men and other ppl can react to said posts about X-Men and suggest there are larger issues, isn't that how an open discussion works?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I suppose the studios were already going to get purchased one way or another. If anything I'm glad that Disney got Fox over Comcast. 

That seems to be the cycle that we are in, and it isn't a new cycle when it come to the studios. If anyone cares about the history of film and the purchasing of studios, they can go here:

http://www.filmsite.org/filmh.html

For the record, it isn't my website. It's owned by AMC (American Movie Classics). But, it is a great history of the whole film industry, including the major studios and all of various rounds of studios being bought that has occurred historically.

16 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

To be honest I think if Comcast bought there’d be less artistic outrage and way more monopoly outrage.

Comcast buying them would be more likely to result in fewer movies being released and the end to Searchlight.  Universal unlike Disney already releases 20+ movies a year and also has Focus (another 8-10 films a year) for it's prestige label.  

WB has already absorbed Newline and under Kevin T. they're actively shrinking their schedule - going from 27 films 2 years ago to 18 this year.

23 minutes ago, RRA said:

How about this: Fox as a major working studio and its long rich history will be gone and it'll end up becoming just a label, the same way that United Artists went from being a major studio that gave us the Beatles and James Bond to merely a label that MGM trots out once a blue moon. (Same with Orion which MGM also bought eons ago.) 

Especially the problem is Fox Searchlight, which has produced some Oscar-bait fare in recent years including 12 YEARS A SLAVE which of course won Best Picture. Disney doesn't release that many movies a year, and they're mostly blockbusters like cartoons or space operas or spandex or remakes or whatever. Back in the 1990s with Miramax, that was Disney's awards bait/prestige division but ultimately Disney went away from that direction and ended up selling off Miramax. 

That's the thing about Fox/FS: Disney already has a label they've used since the 1980s for releasing stuff that they don't want released under the Cinderella castle logo: Touchstone. And we don't exactly get that many Touchstone releases anyway these days. 

On the other hand if this deal goes through, a R-rated Shane Black Predator movie will be released through Disney next year. So that's funny. 

There were other reasons Disney got rid of Miramax - and we're seeing part of it the news.  They had too much autonomy, Weisntein was a horror to work with and to try to control even financially and the break finally happened after years of clashes and Eisner leaving.

If Disney wasn't interested in those kind of movies post Weinsten they wouldn't have set up the Dreamworks deal with Speilberg (Warhorse, Bridge of Spies etc) .  But  that didn't work out since by then Disney was moving toward not just blockbusters but full control of it's releases.

Since a major part of this deal is content then they'd be more likely to expand their slate than other major studios and they have the space to do so since their current slate while huge in B.O is small in quantity.  They didn't release a film this year between  June 16th and Nov.  

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Ppl can post about X-Men and other ppl can react to said posts about X-Men and suggest there are larger issues, isn't that how an open discussion works?

Of course. You can suggest that there are larger issues, but replying as though the X-men issue aren’t even worth discussing is limiting discussion imo. It just seems to me like those who aren’t on the ‘this is the worst thing ever’ train are being told ‘shut up and focus!’

• Like 1

Just now, Deja23 said:

Of course. You can suggest that there are larger issues, but replying as though the X-men issue aren’t even worth discussing is limiting discussion imo. It just seems to me like those who aren’t on the ‘this is the worst thing ever’ train are being told ‘shut up and focus!’

Fair but approximately 90% of the discourse on this board is devoted to funny book movies so understandable that ppl want to direct this one specific conversation elsewhere

• Like 2