DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

Just now, grey ghost said:

This deal is nothing compared to losing Net Neutrality.

Yeah it gives Disney too much Hollywood market share but losing Net Neutrality essentially ruins the internet which is one of the biggest democratic tools in human history.

I'm personally not as concerned about this as other people are but this is a bad argument. 

"Just because you got stabbed isn't as bad as that guy who got shot"

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You guys do realize Fox would've sold to someone else if Disney didn't buy, right?

Having said that I hope Fox can operate as a sub studio like Marvel, Pixar and LucasFilm.

That approach is working wonders for Disney and churning out quality product thus far.

It was going to happen to buy it should have been some other company? Do you hope Disney buys out Universal next so they can get a lot of Spielberg classic?  and cause more jobs loss and hurt more theater companies.  I wish Fox would never be sold to anyone. I hate companies becoming bigger.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Darth Suburious said:

Today maybe UA would have been a big player. It sucks that we lost UA.  How would you feel if Disney sold its film division to Fox? 

Not happy at all. But, I'd feel the same way if Apple or Verizon bought Disney. And Fox wants to sell. If my alternatives were Disney being sold to Sony, Comcast or Verizon, I'd be happier with Fox.

I can understand fans of Fox being upset that the studio is being sold. They love the history of the studio and they don't want to lose their independence. It is very tough, I am sure, especially since they were trying to buy WB only a few years ago. However, it's the other objections to the deal that don't make much sense to me.

Just now, grey ghost said:

So where does this put Disney on the megacorporation hierarchy?

Can they bully Comcast, WB, Amazon and Google?

They could have already bullied WB. WB has always been way smaller than Disney. Google and Amazon are bigger than Disney. Maybe one of them can buy out Disney. 

http://news.cmlviz.com/2016/08/01/the-walt-disney-company-and-time-warner-inc-head-to-head-compare.html

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-more-successful-Time-Warner-or-Disney 

16 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Monopolies on this scale are bad for everyone no doubt but it’s inevitable that someone would buy Fox. I am pissed mainly because Fox is the best of the main six in my opinion in film making and in fact a lot of films from Fox made my top 10 this year 2 are in my top three and it gives Disney a shitton more power and if the stories from @DAJK are true, theaters are fucked the most. But I am indifferent because it’s capitalism, the big fish eats the little fish and a bigger fish eats the big fish in return. There’s nothing we can do. 

This isn't a monopoly.  It isn't even an oligopoly, by formal definition.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Not happy at all. But, I'd feel the same way if Apple or Verizon bought Disney. And Fox wants to sell. If my alternatives were Disney being sold to Sony, Comcast or Verizon, I'd be happier with Fox.

I can understand fans of Fox being upset that the studio is being sold. They love the history of the studio and they don't want to lose their independence. It is very tough, I am sure, especially since they were trying to buy WB only a few years ago. However, it's the other objections to the deal that don't make much sense to m

e.

I have no loyalty to any studio. I care about people losing their jobs, companies becoming too big. Disney has done nothing for me nor has Fox. I do not get this idea of being a fan of a studio. 

Edited by Darth Suburious

15 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Monopolies on this scale are bad for everyone no doubt but it’s inevitable that someone would buy Fox. I am pissed mainly because Fox is the best of the main six in my opinion in film making and in fact a lot of films from Fox made my top 10 this year 2 are in my top three and it gives Disney a shitton more power and if the stories from @DAJK are true, theaters are fucked the most. But I am indifferent because it’s capitalism, the big fish eats the little fish and a bigger fish eats the big fish in return. There’s nothing we can do. 

I'm just worried about smaller theatres (I guess cause that's where I come from really). But for example, look at this christmas slate... there's so many theatres that aren't going to be playing a lot of the new releases (or some theatres that are forced to play them in 1 small house) all because of Star Wars. Sure, this might be a special case because Star Wars is Star Wars, but the more power Disney gets the more ability they will have to manipulate scheduling and whatnot. 

And it's not like Disney releases a lot of films per year. They usually recently have only released under 10 HEAVY HITTERS per year (and the occasional big budget flop). Not having Fox around doesn't mean I think that Disney is going to double their output, and what's more is we are going to lose a lot of the adult targeted, smaller movies that Fox puts out constantly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Monopolies on this scale are bad for everyone no doubt but it’s inevitable that someone would buy Fox. I am pissed mainly because Fox is the best of the main six in my opinion in film making and in fact a lot of films from Fox made my top 10 this year 2 are in my top three and it gives Disney a shitton more power. But It’s capitalism, the big fish eats the little fish and a bigger fish eats the big fish in return. There’s nothing we can do. 

Fox hasn't been an independent studio since 1981 (sold for just $700m.)  It was sold off to a couple of guys who were then busted for racketeering then to Murdoch in the mid 80s when he made it part of his  enormous worldwide media empire.  It's not a little fish.  A couple of years ago Murdoch was positioning Fox for a hostile take over of WB.   Now Murdoch is splitting his company because well... that's a long story but he needs to separate his News and Entertainment divisions.   

The way media is constructed now an independent buyer isn't viable in the long term for any growth.  It will have to come from another studio or one of the huge media company content providers.  AT&T is seeking WB, Comcast bought Universal, Viacom bought Paramount and Sony which was once Columbia Pictures (+ Tri Star) was sold to Sony by Coca Cola in the 1980s.   So that leaves Verizon, Netflix, Amazon and Disney.  Disney doesn't want to be taken over by a media co (namely Apple) - instead they want to create their own - hence the streaming and the acquisition of more content via Fox.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Think like that and you are already defeated! Come on my brother, your voice united with the voice of the many can make a difference! They cannot survive without our submission, it's us who's giving them power and I say this ceases to be today! No more! We shall unite and raise up in an uprising against the powers that try to govern what we are, who we are and what we consume! Join the revolution brother, say enough is enough! Yes we can! They will not force us! They will stop degrading us! They will not control us! We will be victorious!!

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Darth Suburious said:

It was going to happen to buy it should have been some other company? Do you hope Disney buys out Universal next so they can get a lot of Spielberg classic?  and cause more jobs loss and hurt more theater companies.  I wish Fox would never be sold to anyone. I hate companies becoming bigger.

Disney has been treating their properties and fanboys pretty good via substudios.

As a Marvel and Star Wars fan, Disney buying those studios was a godsend. For the most part Star Wars and Marvel films have never been better (outside the OT).

The knee jerk reaction is to hate on Disney for buying studios. But why, when they are doing a good job?

If you don't like fanboy shit these days then 90% of blockbusters aren't for you. That's not because studios are ruled by fanboys. It's because the market has spoken and people only have money and time for recognizable fanboy nostalgia crack.

It's just the world we're living in.

People want a sure thing with so many choices for entertainment and so little disposable income.

The days of cult classic entertainment for stragglers is gone. The market is way too competitive.

The NFL is another example. The shrinking audience aint only about kneeling protest. They've been shedding viewers for years and the NFL was basically a religion for decades.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I'm just worried about smaller theatres (I guess cause that's where I come from really). But for example, look at this christmas slate... there's so many theatres that aren't going to be playing a lot of the new releases (or some theatres that are forced to play them in 1 small house) all because of Star Wars. Sure, this might be a special case because Star Wars is Star Wars, but the more power Disney gets the more ability they will have to manipulate scheduling and whatnot. 

And it's not like Disney releases a lot of films per year. They usually recently have only released under 10 HEAVY HITTERS per year (and the occasional big budget flop). Not having Fox around doesn't mean I think that Disney is going to double their output, and what's more is we are going to lose a lot of the adult targeted, smaller movies that Fox puts out constantly. 

I’m pretty sure (80%) That Fox and Searchlight are the new Touchstone and Miramax. They can’t have a strong streaming service if they cater to just families. Something like 15-18 a year wouldn’t surprise me. However I agree with you.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I'm personally not as concerned about this as other people are but this is a bad argument. 

"Just because you got stabbed isn't as bad as that guy who got shot"

No, we're talking a two car dealerships merging compared to every road and highway in the USA being replaced with a shitty monorail scam.

Edit: and airports are being replaced too. It's that bad.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3