DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

18 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Combined revenue of Fox and Disney last year is $4.469B, or 39.2% of the yearly box office

Even if we take out the $300M from DWA, Disney/Fox owns a whopping 38%. 

27 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/robert-iger-likely-to-extend-tenure-as-disney-ceo-past-2019-1512592562?mod=e2tw

Yeah Iger isn't leaving any time soon.  Also looks like the deal is $40b not $60b 

I wonder if Alan Horn re-ups as well

This goes well beyond the movies though, there's also the TV studio and TV newtorks (national and international)

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney-21st-century-fox-murdoch-fx-1202631508/

I imagine that Fox was the one pushing for that $60B valuation.

Calculating the HHI for just the top 20 film studios in 2016 (a year that was dominated by Disney, so the HHI will be inflated by a proposed merger in this year) and you get 1569, which indicated there is some concentration in the industry but not to a severe amount by any standards.

A proposed merger would lead a 2307 HHI, which is definitely a significant jump and would without a doubt increase Disney's marketpower, but the industry still would not be considered heavily concentrated by typical anti-trust standards.  There won't be any legal concerns about this, and I don't see any other significant merger being possible, as of now.

• Like 2

I have a feeling with this potential purchase they just might shutter Touchstone Pictures and replace it with 20th Century Fox. I feel like just like Touchstone was for mainstream stuff and having Fox take it's place, that  Searchlight will be for arthouse stuff just like Miramax was. Also I feel like the Split sequel Glass instead of being distributed by Touchstone pictures internationally it will be by Fox. 

Edited by manny1234
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't understand why some people are so invested in defending a company that they have no financial stake in, that has billions of dollars, and is just a purveyor of content, with natural mixed results within it. I just don't get white knighting for a billion dollar corporation, especially when tons of their employees get paid jack squat (I live in Florida - I KNOW how Disney treats park employees, and it ain't pretty). I'd be saying the same if it was defending Universal or whatever. I just ain't built like that. To each their own I guess. Seize the means of production imo.

As a big fan of Disney Animation and Pixar, even I find the Disney’s corporate power to be a bit....discomforting. 

• Like 3

Paramount and Sony are almost non-entities by now.

So, of the 4 remaining, this deals makes them 3. I think that should definitely be subject to anti-trust laws.

But, it's ridiculous, though not surprising, that there are people who cannot see the negatives. I would go as far as to say they have already been brainwashed.

It's plain as day how this will affect the industry as a whole. From Disney's outlook/business model, evident over the years and essentially unchanging, to simply having one less financial sponsor. The industry will hurt, and Disney is already huge and dominating with them (under Iger's stewardship) just focusing on brands and nothing else.

I hope it fails to go through, but that's unlikely now it seems.

Fox should remain by itself, because the Internet providers of America are also horrible corporations bent on fucking the consumer over.

Lastly, to respond to just one point of the shill JonathanLB, so capitalism has no attributable deaths? The destruction of the climate, widespread industry corruption and collusion, paid off politicians, third world dictators, sweatshops, etc. are all results of unfettered capitalism- the kind only dimwits without the capability of critical thinking will follow leader Trump into whilst they get fucked over and complain about immigrants, Muslims, liberals, LGBTQ etc. It is astounding, but once again, completely not surprising.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Even if we take out the $300M from DWA, Disney/Fox owns a whopping 38%. 

That's pretty normal for the leading firm in a moderately concentrated oligopoly? (Which if you factor out DWA and give it to Universal for the HHI, it goes down to 2175, so less of an impact, obviously)

There shouldn't be any legitimate anti-trust concerns with this merger.  

Edited by The Last Panda
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

As a big fan of Disney Animation and Pixar, even I find the Disney’s corporate power to be a bit....discomforting. 

I'm a fan of both too, but after their deal with Dreamworks (before it went to Universal) and now this, they are pretty much killing the animation industry. Shouldn't that be taken into account with these anti-trust laws?

And it was Ed Catmull of Pixar fame, who was the instigator to fix wages. This is just terrible news for animators and that profession.

We need to see past the movies they make, and see who really makes them.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

That's pretty normal for the leading firm in a moderately concentrated oligopoly? (Which if you factor out DWA and give it to Universal for the HHI, it goes down to 2175, so less of an impact, obviously)

There shouldn't be any legitimate anti-trust concerns with this merger.  

It's where it's trending to.

You don't have to be in hibernation to see that.

They've already taken over Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm, now Fox. Where do you think it will end?

People might bitch about Netflix or whatever, but they are at least producing content.

Disney releases are their brands and rehashes and it ends there.

• Like 1

I feel very mixed about this merging. Will there be a lot more IPs that Disney will have control over? Yes. Would I prefer 20th Century Fox stay its own separate studio? Absolutely! More diversity in film studios is welcome in my opinion. Do I want X-Men to go back to Marvel? Mixed feelings on that end. Still waiting to see what happens there with the final deal. Hopefully, Fantastic Four goes back to the MCU. 

I can see where both sides are coming from on this issue. Personally, I think it would be wise for Disney to keep 20th Century Fox as a subsidiary (a replacement for Touchstone) and not merge ALL of the assets under a Disney banner. I still want to see R-rated X-Men films and Fox Searchlight films being given freedom to do their thing without too much interference. I can definitely see a few IPs fitting right in with the Disney line-up (Avatar already has a ride at the Disney parks and it seems like Cameron has a great relationship with Disney). Mixed feelings overall. I can see both sides of the argument but I think a few are blowing this a little out of proportion.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BK007 said:

It's where it's trending to.

You don't have to be in hibernation to see that.

They've already taken over Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm, now Fox. Where do you think it will end?

People might bitch about Netflix or whatever, but they are at least producing content.

Disney releases are their brands and rehashes and it ends there.

Disney, out of all of the studios, has the most room to expand output.  I reckon after this, if they go for any other mergers (which this Fox merge isn't really a merger), it'll be vertical and not horizontal.

2 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

I wonder if anyone cared this much when MGM bought United Artists? Probably not since places like this didn't exist back then.

I was here when Lionsgate bought Summit, and no one cared.

You are comparing two much smaller studios to two giant studios.  Summit had a smaller market share and fewer employees. It sucks that people at summit loss their jobs. It is like two small local gas station companies in Minnesota combing to be on gas station company and comparing it to Shelling sell its assets to BP.  Being like "Nobody cared when the one Minnesota gas station sold its assets to the other Minnesota gas Station company." This is a much bigger dealer.  Maybe Google should buy out Dell computers, Nintendo, and Nokia 

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Who gives a shit about whether Dark Phoenix shows up in Maleficent 2 or whatever the fuck this is a massive economic move that will affect the entire market and thousands of jobs ahh fuck it what am I saying do the skybeam talk who even cares anymore

Lot of jobs will be lost because of this and this will hurt future job growth. 

• Like 2