DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

11 minutes ago, Goffe said:

lmao I'm sure theaters are pretty happy about Disney having even more power to force their exhibition terms on them.

Plus Disney not being as dependent of theaters (because streaming service) as theaters is of studios. 

They must be thrilled, for sure.

Did folks not see the demands Disney was making for Last Jedi?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

First, Boyhood and Moonlight are terrible movies, it has nothing to do with a liberal agenda. I don't think Boyhood is a liberal movie by any means, it's just a very very boring coming of age drama that has mediocre acting and a lot of pacing problems. It's not even a movie you can hate so much as it is a movie that's so boring it lulls you to sleep. I only hate it because it's so bad, but other than that, it's not objectionable. 

The very definition of "specialty fare" movies indicates they're mostly not going to appeal to a wide audience. I find it bizarre when people act like they love every indie drama that pops out per year. Either you're kidding yourself or you just want to be the kind of person who loves movies nobody has seen. There's nothing to love about most of them. As I've said, there are a good solid 30% of them every year that really are charming movies, like Queen of Katwe and Lion for instance, or really great under appreciated films like Bridge of Spies. I can get behind a movie like The Dallas Buyers Club, there was a good specialty far movie. It's not like they're non-existent. Birdman was a fantastic film, one that I didn't fully appreciate the first viewing, but liked, and after seeing it a second time it became clear how great it was. I don't just think "rah rah go blockbusters, best movies of the year," because there are always a few true gems in the specialty circuit. The problem is wading through the absolute garbage like Moonlight to get there. It becomes an exercise in frustration wondering if it's worth seeing shit like Mother, Boyhood, Manchester, Danish Girl, Moonlight, Les Miserables, etc. just to find the few good movies in the pile. If you go watch 10 blockbusters the worst you're likely to see (outside of Fantastic Beasts, which really was terrible) is something like The Mummy, Transformers Knights of Mediocrity, and Pirates, all of which were really thoroughly mediocre movies but provided bits of entertainment value. I could walk out of the theater not being angry to have seen any of those movies, and to my surprise Transformers was the best of the three, maybe because the trailer was SO bad that I set my expectations appropriately low, but at least none of those movies made me want to slit my wrists. They were all 2 to 2.5 star movies. That's more than I can say of most of the indie movies they send me.

Would I care if you took a great romantic comedy that was super funny and you made it a guy-guy romantic comedy instead? Hell no, it would be the SAME movie, unless you're just a bigot. I have numerous gay friends, so I'm not against a movie like that at all, and to be against that would be narrow minded and stupid. But you DO have to have a plot that engages me, it's not enough to throw in a transsexual or bisexual or gay character and say, "We're being different, you have to like this because you're a liberal PC social justice warrior!" See, I'm not, so I don't have to like any movie that's not good. The gay community deserves much better movies than that. They deserve a great, classic film that normalizes what should be completely acceptable -- just two people loving each other, doesn't matter who they are. But to make a movie that if you switched it around to straight romance would still be boring, that's the problem. Would Moonlight get all of its attention if it had none of the gay element at all? I mean why would it? It was super boring, nothing fucking happens all movie long, and it wasn't particularly well made by any means. You'd be hard pressed to find a single major studio film with such shoddy production values or low rent looks, so it has to make up for that with a great story. Which it didn't have. In fact the story was so bad that I actually made that story as a joke years before Moonlight came out, in 2013. I had jokingly told people I was going to make an Oscarbait movie about a crack-addicted single black mom raising her special needs gay son in the ghetto and their journey through it. Sure, Moonlight scaled it back (and lost even more Oscar potential, IMO) by making him not a special needs son and maybe he's bi, not gay, but the point is I made that story idea in 5 seconds as a joke and they actually made it into a movie and it did actually win awards. That has to be the funniest thing I can imagine, that I would JOKINGLY come up with an awards bait premise and it would be a huge hit. It's just that easy.

tumblr_or4cqt1yPe1w4o2dko1_540.gif

2 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

As a fanboy my reaction is yay.

As a movie watcher, I'm severely worried about a limiting of films and the market ultimately being able to sustain itself for the long term.

Worried about the whole movie business? I don't quite get that.

7 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Would I care if you took a great romantic comedy that was super funny and you made it a guy-guy romantic comedy instead? Hell no, it would be the SAME movie, unless you're just a bigot. I have numerous gay friends, so I'm not against a movie like that at all, and to be against that would be narrow minded and stupid. But you DO have to have a plot that engages me, it's not enough to throw in a transsexual or bisexual or gay character and say, "We're being different, you have to like this because you're a liberal PC social justice warrior!" See, I'm not, so I don't have to like any movie that's not good. The gay community deserves much better movies than that. They deserve a great, classic film that normalizes what should be completely acceptable -- just two people loving each other, doesn't matter who they are. But to make a movie that if you switched it around to straight romance would still be boring, that's the problem. Would Moonlight get all of its attention if it had none of the gay element at all? I mean why would it? It was super boring, nothing fucking happens all movie long, and it wasn't particularly well made by any means. You'd be hard pressed to find a single major studio film with such shoddy production values or low rent looks, so it has to make up for that with a great story. Which it didn't have. In fact the story was so bad that I actually made that story as a joke years before Moonlight came out, in 2013. I had jokingly told people I was going to make an Oscarbait movie about a crack-addicted single black mom raising her special needs gay son in the ghetto and their journey through it. Sure, Moonlight scaled it back (and lost even more Oscar potential, IMO) by making him not a special needs son and maybe he's bi, not gay, but the point is I made that story idea in 5 seconds as a joke and they actually made it into a movie and it did actually win awards. That has to be the funniest thing I can imagine, that I would JOKINGLY come up with an awards bait premise and it would be a huge hit. It's just that easy.

glmRyiSI3v5E4.gif

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

What makes you think it won't happen?

One of the majors feels they can't compete and sells their assets to their biggest competitor... how far behind do you think Paramount or Sony is?

edit: whoops clicked quote on the wrong one of your two posts my bad

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 2

Who gives a shit about whether Dark Phoenix shows up in Maleficent 2 or whatever the fuck this is a massive economic move that will affect the entire market and thousands of jobs ahh fuck it what am I saying do the skybeam talk who even cares anymore

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

Just now, Walt Disney said:

I wonder if anyone cared this much when MGM bought United Artists? Probably not since places like this didn't exist back then.

I was here when Lionsgate bought Summit, and no one cared.

Because Lionsgate nor Summit were major film studios. This is one of the main six absorbing one of the others.

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

A lot of people are misunderstanding that this isn't a merger and is just Fox selling off assets which is why it'd be allowed to happen.

Yeah, I'm struggling to see why people are getting worked up about how it's terrible for the industry.  I really doubt consumers will feel much of an effect beyond how Disney decides to use their assets.

Edited by The Last Panda
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

There it is. I had a feeling he wasn't leaving so soon. I have seen this song and dance with him supposedly leaving only to end up getting an extension and staying for years already.

• Like 1