efialtes76

Weekend Thread | Coco 19M, JL 9.4M, Wonder 9.3M, TDA 6.4M, T:R 6.25M, DH2 5.7M, MOTOE 5M (Deadline estimates) | Bunch of Awardsy stuff making money too

The A24 release racked up a strong $700K in previews Thursday night, with exhibitors like Regal showing The Room immediately following in 21 locations across the country

http://deadline.com/2017/12/the-disaster-artist-james-franco-seth-rogen-box-office-breakout-1202222781/

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 3

That's the same as what ICAN did in much more theaters in the summer. This is a strong preview number, but the frontloading question definitely comes into play. Given it's a James Franco comedy, it's undoubtedly going to be walkup based too.

• Like 1

Those playing into Disney’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi are the specialty distributors who are generating word of mouth before the holidays kick in, read A24 with its jump from 19 sites to 840 with James Franco’s The Disaster Artistcurrently projected to make $2.5M today, close to $7M for the weekend in fourth place.

Also widening on the specialty scene is Fox Searchlight’s The Shape of Water from two NYC venues to 41 sites, currently looking at $650K today and a $2.1M second weekend for $2.36M. 

http://deadline.com/2017/12/box-office-coco-the-disaster-artist-guillermo-del-toro-shape-of-water-margot-robbie-i-tonya-1202223071/

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Also of note:

Neon’s TIFF pick-up I, Tonya starring Margot Robbie as Tonya Harding is currently projected to clear a $63K per theater or $255K for the weekend from plays at the Hollywood Arclight, LA’s Landmark on Pico, the Angelika in NYC and Lincoln Square.

Based off midday matinees, Disney/Pixar’s Coco is weekend three looks to rake in between $17.6M-$18M, a 35% ease for a running total by Sunday of $135M. That’s 7% behind Moana.

Broad Green is the only distributor that has more bravado than the majors in regards to releasing their Tommy Lee Jones-Morgan Freeman-Rene Russo action comedy Just Getting Started at 2,161. The Ron Shelton-directed comedy aka Villa Capri is looking at $1.5M today for $4M-$4.5M. 

HOLY FUCK THE SHAPE OF WATER :ohmygod: 100M might still be on for it!

I predicted a 65k PTA for I, Tonya, so that's pretty close to what I expected. Good start given all the limited competition.

Pretty good for TDA all around. It's pacing ahead of ICAN by a few hundred thousand.

JGS is doing about as well as it could, I suppose. That audience score is hilarious though :hahaha: 

• Like 2

Best picture winner 2017 @ the box office is going to be an absolute joke. At least runner up La La Land made well over 400+ million WW. 

Nothing this year will will come close to that.

Edited by KJsooner

Domestically, this year's BP nominees will have relatively high grosses all around compared to the past few years. These are what released contenders made/will make:

Dunkirk: 188M

Get Out: 175M

Lady Bird: 40M+

Three Billboards: 30M+

Florida Project: 5-10M

Movies in limited right now or coming out soon:

The Post: 100M+ with a shot at Lincoln numbers

Shape of Water: 70M+ with a decent chance at 100M

Phantom Thread/Darkest Hour: 30-40M

CMBYN: ~30M (dunno how much higher than Moonlight this will get)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1