baumer

I, Tonya (2017)

Grade it  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This was bonkers and I loved it! Simultaneously funny and disturbing. I loved how towards the end of the movie you see a TV clip with breaking news about OJ Simpson, signaling the start of the next chapter of the 1990s scandal cycle.

Though I do have to say Allison Janney’s performance has been a tad overhyped. It’s mostly a collection of one liners strung together throughout the film. 

Edited by rockNrollaDIM
  • Like 1

I loved it.  And Janney is not over hyped imo.  She was terrific as was Robbie.  I'm assuming they will be shoe ins for Oscar noms.  

I love films that give us another side to the story.  All I've ever known about Tonya and Nancy is that Tonya had Nancy clubbed.  Turns out, as usual, the media only reports one side to most stories and this one is no different.  It was fascinating to get inside Tonya's life and to see where she came from and what made her tick.  The film does a great job at making you empathise with her.  All the performances are fantastic and I'd like to know how the hell Robbie learned to skate well enough to make this look believable.

9/10

• Like 4

I really really liked this. I couldn't help but compare it to The Disaster Artist with 2017 giving two of pop cultures biggest punching bags the last laugh. Like that, I was not expecting this to have as much depth as it does. As soon as the domestic violence started, it really took me aback but I loved how the characters constantly broke the 4th wall to add some levity to the proceedings.

Main criticisms: It sort of drags just after the incidence starts (but gets right back on track) and I think they should have cast different actors to play Tonya, Jeff and Shawn when they were around 15. You can put braces on Margot Robbie but she still looks like an adult. IMO that transition shouldn't have happened until the hallway of the first performance. Plus the actresses that they cast to play young Tonya were all really good.

As far as Tonya herself, Robbie pretty much nails it (especially in her current days). I used to watch The Smoking Gun a lot which she was a guest contributor of and Margot got all her voice mannerisms and body language down perfectly. And everyone else is fantastic. Allison Janney is amazing and Sebastian Stan is virtually unrecognizable. 

Going in I was ready for a lot of this to be portrayed in an overly dramatic manner and it's really not. Some of the humor is similar to Logan Lucky but for the most part it's done a lot better here.

I see some critics have complained about the score being on the nose but I think those songs all really fit with the tone of the film and The Chain worked far better here than in Guardians Vol. 2. 

I was like 9-10 when this happened and yeah, this made me want to revisit a documentary. I definitely remember it being a big deal but I didn't follow the media at the time. And like The Disaster Artist, I Tonya ends with real footage that the film replicated to near perfection.

Robbie doesn't always look like Tonya Harding but she totally sells the character throughout. I bet this movie takes many by surprise with the way it's handled. Outside of that one area, the pacing is on point and I think Gillespie did this crazy event justice with the story being told from a lot of unreliable narrators.

And that courtroom scene is a heart breaker.

A-

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

A very solid and at times blisteringly funny dark comedy/mockumentary about Tonya Harding that also does an effective job of humanizing the disgraced former figure skater. The movie could've gone all wrong easily given the multiple tones it has to juggle (how can one not approach this story with an element of satire considering some of the characters that were involved?), but it works for the most part. Margot Robbie is indeed tremendous here: she doesn't look much like the real Harding, but she creates a fascinating portrait of a woman who was treated unfairly (both by the people in her life and perhaps the world). As good as she is, even better is the great Allison Janney as a horror of a mother who also comes across as an actual person. Sebastian Stan, who I've never cared at all for in the past, is also very good as the notorious Jeff Gillooly. B+

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Either way someone beat you to it

9bXTVsl_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

yes it's pretty hard to imagine several people could independently come to the conclusion that margot robbie as a 15 year old in this is ridiculous. i know you've never had an original thought but give others the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

Really enjoyed this.  Very good film.  Excellent performance from Robbie.

A

@baumerIf I recall from the WOWS release she always had a fascination with ice hockey and played field hockey as a kid.  When she moved to New York she learned to skate and joined an amateur ice hockey team.

They did use 2 doubles for the jumps and more complicated routines. 

• Like 1