Eric the Fall Guy

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

Just now, YLF said:

I thought they said they were going to offer premium offers where you can see IMAX, etc. by the end of the month Lol 

Good occasion to change the pricing model to some something more sustainable. Offer no movie limit + IMAX while raising the price quite a lot.

3 hours ago, Rumpot said:

Moviepass filing shows it had only 15 million dollars left on April 30th.  It has been spending ~21-22million per month (pre-summer) and now it is headed into a nightmare.  They will be selling millions of shares of their stock daily to try and stay afloat.  Not gonna work.  Stock down 30% today to $1.50. this stock hit $40 less than a year ago....death spiral well underway.  Would certainly NOT get any passes beyond one month at this point...

Yeah, they're not gonna make it to the end of summer. Oh well. Enjoy it while it lasts, everyone.

Moviepass filing shows it had only 15 million dollars left on April 30th. It has been spending ~21-22million per month (pre-summer) and now it is headed into a nightmare. They will be selling millions of shares of their stock daily to try and stay afloat. Not gonna work. Stock down 30% today to $1.50. this stock hit $40 less than a year ago....death spiral well underway. Would certainly NOT get any passes beyond one month at this point...

Who is stupid enough to buy Moviepass stock though? Buyers are guaranteed to lose money.

1 hour ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Between us, me, my brother and two friends have spent almost $1,000 of MoviePass' money since October buying tickets.   

So I'm staying on this ride until, well...

YXxkV.gif

Seriously. I've saved a crazy amount of money on movie tickets (and saw more movies than I would've otherwise without it) since getting MP last September. Gonna be sad when it goes under sooner or later.

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Who is stupid enough to buy Moviepass stock though? Buyers are guaranteed to lose money.

Unfortunately there are some. Many who have already lost 80% of their money on it with nothing to show for it aside from knowing they paid for other people's movie tickets....

• Haha 1

Moviepass stock (HMNY) down another 33% today to $0.97.  Under a dollar.  They are now getting very little money from the stock they are trying to sell and as they keep trying to sell it the price crashes since everyone by now knows it is going bankrupt.  

• Like 1

Ill jump ship to  sinemia if this happens. I already had it but they tried to raise the price on me lol. It made no sense to have both. I need a chain to do what the UK is doing and offer a GOOD subscription plan. I never realized how much I enjoy going to the theater until I got movie pass, but I won't be paying 15 bucks to see every movie. My habits would have to go back to 2-3 times a year.

• Like 2

Oh well. I’ll enjoy it as long as it lasts. Even though I signed up last year for the monthly price with unlimited viewings, I noticed the other day when we saw IW that it said I couldn’t see AQP again. That means they changed the way my subscription works without actually telling me which sucks because there’s a Star Wars movie coming out DAMN IT!! Lol

The only sustainable cheap ticket plan is the one that has cinema chains and studios on board. Any third party that wants to come in the game will need huge investment from outside or otherwise math just doesn't add up.

The problem is they thought the GP would buy more of them, and half of them wouldn't even see a movie a month. Instead, they wound up with movie nuts like us buying them all and it broke the model.

They needed a partnership with someone who could give them access to millions of users, like Amazon.  They just didn't have a plan, they were winging it. Bad idea.

8 minutes ago, ChrisTelclear said:

The problem is they thought the GP would buy more of them, and half of them wouldn't even see a movie a month. Instead, they wound up with movie nuts like us buying them all and it broke the model.

They needed a partnership with someone who could give them access to millions of users, like Amazon.  They just didn't have a plan, they were winging it. Bad idea.

I think what everyone is missing is this was a huge success for the CEO and management of this company.  They will walk away from this dumpster fire with millions. THAT was always the plan

• Like 1