Eric the Fall Guy

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

I saw the previous posters who compared movies theaters and restaurants. The difference is that you never know what kind of movies you will see in the theaters and you don't need movies to survive, but you can at least expect taste of the foods you order and you need food to survive. That is why many people rather spend hard earned money on foods not on movies. Specially nowadays the cheap entertainments are everywhere: Netflix, youtube, etc.

Movie passe only attracts hard core movie lovers. Their business model will never work if they depend on the theater movies business. Looks like their goal is just using Movie Pass to get investors' money then buy other businesses related to movies: studio, movie ticket selling website and so on.

In a rare piece of good news:

This weekend MoviePass basked in a tad of sunlight as their Sundance co-acquisition with The Orchard, Bart Layton’s American Animals, posted a solid $35K per theater, translating into $140K at four locations: Los Angeles’ The Landmark and Hollywood Arclight and New York’s Lincoln Square and Union Square. All of the theaters except Arclight accepted MoviePass.

American Animals was the No. 1 title at the Arclight, beating such big pics as Solo: A Star Wars Story in the Dome, No. 1 at the Landmark, No. 2 at Lincoln Center and No. 3 at Union Square — big venues, and impressive ranking considering all the major studio and mini-major fare that’s out there that folks are dumping millions of dollars of P&A on. We hear that the partnership between The Orchard and MoviePass Ventures was certainly worthy, yielding strong results for an edgy heist film that also was propped by a 84% certified fresh Rotten Tomatoes score. No one is griping, everyone is happy. Deadline figures that MoviePass’ percent share of the box office was north of 25%-35% for the weekend, which is above their aggregate for indie titles. The Orchard isn’t releasing MoviePass percent share figures, and will continue to dive into the data well past the pic’s nationwide wide break to 600 venues on June 22. Note that MoviePass’ membership reign is strong in New York and L.A.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Deadline figures that MoviePass’ percent share of the box office was north of 25%-35% for the weekend,

Making movies and then paying people ticket at the door to have people watching it does feel a bit like this:

To me.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2018 at 10:22 AM, Barnack said:

Making movies and then paying people ticket at the door to have people watching it does feel a bit like this:

To me.

Moviepass's business model has always been selling people twenty dollar bills for $10 a piece. I'm amazed they're still around. I think you can only buy an annual pass at this point... as if they're going to make it that long. :hahaha:

Just got an email that I’m part of a beta test sample requiring me to upload a picture of my ticket stub everytime I use my pass. If I don’t do this twice, I lose my account and am not allowed to make a new one. Fun.

My card swiper stopped working about a month ago. I contacted moviepass right away to send a new card they said it would take 7-10 days to get it. It didnt get here of course. And I messaged them again. They said they would be resending it again. We continued this process for weeks. They allegedly sent me 4 cards over the past 5 weeks. I finally fucking got my replacement card yesterday. Im surprised one ever came. Such shit customer service. I missed so many movies because of this.

1 hour ago, nick64 said:

Just got an email that I’m part of a beta test sample requiring me to upload a picture of my ticket stub everytime I use my pass. If I don’t do this twice, I lose my account and am not allowed to make a new one. Fun.

I thought this was for everyone for several weeks now? I know it has been for me and my friend who has it. Also, I've failed to submit the pic probably about 3 times now and no issues so far...

Noticing a lot of empty reserved seats at showings for some movies, despite them being reserved when I booked a ticket. Is this some MoviePass thing to buy a ticket and see another movie?

Seriously MoviePass is screwed. Even ticket stubs aren’t proof of much.

Edited by Pure Spirit

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I thought this was for everyone for several weeks now? I know it has been for me and my friend who has it. Also, I've failed to submit the pic probably about 3 times now and no issues so far...

I just got the email today. It said it was random selection, so maybe they’re gradually switching people over?

Ok, so checked my MoviePass showtimes today and there are lots of 2d showings for I2 at many theaters conspicuously absent. Particularly any 7pm-9pm ones. My friend who has it also has the same issue. Anyone else having this problem? I haven't been that annoyed by their recent changes, but if they're going to start restricting prime showtimes for new movies, that will piss me off. 

If showtimes are missing, you should still be able to use the "unlisted showtime" function to check in. It happens sometimes.

On 6/10/2018 at 4:53 PM, Pure Spirit said:

Noticing a lot of empty reserved seats at showings for some movies, despite them being reserved when I booked a ticket. Is this some MoviePass thing to buy a ticket and see another movie?

Seriously MoviePass is screwed. Even ticket stubs aren’t proof of much.

I figure it's either people movie hopping to a movie they've already seen once and can't check into again, or people checking into movies they never plan to see and buying tickets just to get rewards points at their theatre of choice.

32 minutes ago, misterchief81 said:

people checking into movies they never plan to see and buying tickets just to get rewards points at their theatre of choice.

Be movie theater owner.

Give all your employees MoviePass.

Have them purchase as many tickets as they can at your theater.

Profit

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ok, so checked my MoviePass showtimes today and there are lots of 2d showings for I2 at many theaters conspicuously absent. Particularly any 7pm-9pm ones. My friend who has it also has the same issue. Anyone else having this problem? I haven't been that annoyed by their recent changes, but if they're going to start restricting prime showtimes for new movies, that will piss me off. 

Its showing up on my end

9 hours ago, YLF said:

Its showing up on my end

14 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

This sounds a lot like what happened during the Red Sparrow opening weekend.  They are doing another "experiment" to prove to the studios what kind of impact they can have on the market by blocking people in one area from seeing a specific movie with their MoviePass on opening night. It's done randomly and some people never see it.

• Like 1

I'd be curious to know what, if any, impact the policy about only seeing movies once has had on the box office of something like Infinity War (or other big titles like Deadpool 2 and Solo) compared to Black Panther. We all know AIW has made a ton of money and set an opening weekend record, yet it's legs have not been as strong as BP. Whether that's due to genuine market factors (rewatchabilty, demographics, competition, etc) or, in some small part, to the fact that Moviepass users were able to watch BP as many times as they wanted, while the single watch policy was implemented right before AIW came out, would be interesting to study.

• Like 2