Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

Its a good deal if you live close to AMC. Being able to see premium formats is a definite added bonus. I usually see the big blockbusters in DOLBY and that is the best theater experience in my opinion. So, for me its definitely worth it. The best part about it is that we know other theaters will have to compete and have their own plans as well. Moviepass isnt a sustainable model and its good theater chains are taking action(which seems to be more sustainable)

3 movies a week is plenty. Im honestly surprised the plan isnt much worse.

• Like 2

This AMC deal basically brings you guys up to speed with the cinema chains in the UK.

• they're similar in price (~2x avg. ticket price)
  • premium formats available (although here you pay difference)
  • practically unlimited (3 a week is plenty for 99.9% of people)
  • also discounts on concessions (we get 10% here, then 25% after one year at Cineworld only)
  • we also have tie ins with restaurants, usually 20-25% off your food

the only downside difference is that you guys might have to drive 3 hours to find an AMC as USA is so large. Here you're practically guaranteed to find a Cineworld or Odeon within 30-60 mins of you. Perks of being smaller in area as a country I guess.

Personally the AMC deal is practically the same as my current Odeon limitless pass, so this would be an ideal American equivalent for me

Oh for some reason I read it as 3 per month. Yeah 12 a month is easily enough for vast majority, thats close as possible to unlimited. Hope it catches on the US because its a huge success in the UK and works very well. Saves you so much money if you want to see a lot of films.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

This AMC deal basically brings you guys up to speed with the cinema chains in the UK.

• they're similar in price (~2x avg. ticket price)
  • premium formats available (although here you pay difference)
  • practically unlimited (3 a week is plenty for 99.9% of people)
  • also discounts on concessions (we get 10% here, then 25% after one year at Cineworld only)
  • we also have tie ins with restaurants, usually 20-25% off your food

the only downside difference is that you guys might have to drive 3 hours to find an AMC as USA is so large. Here you're practically guaranteed to find a Cineworld or Odeon within 30-60 mins of you. Perks of being smaller in area as a country I guess.

Personally the AMC deal is practically the same as my current Odeon limitless pass, so this would be an ideal American equivalent for me

Im surprised they're not having us pay the difference for premium formats. Its kind of strange. It'll probably change in the future when moviepass goes out of business.

This makes Sinemia completely useless

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

, so why should I switch to a higher priced model

You probably should not and that why theater chain hated MP, they are one of the biggest problem to get a membership type of deal starting for them.

That said, people go see those giant movie so much (and I imagine with PLF), that it could make sense for many.

I will say if this AMC one takes off while MP dies, it will really prove the power of marketing. I've said all along that MP needed a big marketing campaign for the service to create awareness if they ever wanted a chance at really succeeding. AMC has the money and presence to do that. 

53 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Just wait for Regal to make their unlimited subscription service. It will happen. 

If it happens and is priced similarly to Moviepass, then yeah I might switch to that.  95% of the movies I see are at my Regal

Edited by That One Guy

Everyone will "switch" from Moviepass when it disappears which will be very soon.  And the main reason it failed is obvious.  They paid $100+ per month to make $10 or less.  Furthermore all they are is money added to a friggin Mastercard.  They did not enhance moviegoing in any way - in fact they restricted ticket buying, etc.  The ONLY thing they did is pay for it.  They stole money from investors and paid for people to go to the movies...comparing it to any other model such as AMC or any other theater chain is silly and won't matter very soon

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

They paid $100+ per month to make $10 or less. 

That sound a bit of an exagaration, apparently MP user see 1 movie a month more than the average moviegoers, so that would about 1.5 movies a month in average for them.

It seem to blowing around 20m a month by their sec filling (or a bit less than $10 by user)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That sound a bit of an exagaration, apparently MP user see 1 movie a month more than the average moviegoers, so that would about 1.5 movies a month in average for them.

It seem to blowing around 20m a month by their sec filling (or a bit less than $10 by user)

HMNY filings are extremely deceptive.  They cherry pick data/time intervals to show whatever they want*.  Their base has a high % of very heavy users...and there is no chance they are only watching 1.5 movies per month.  Defies reason. 

*When they want to feign traction then they boast about the large % of box office their service made up for instance

-when this next dumping of shares comes out then we can look at the fine print in the filing..

It's not gonna be good.  And I think it'll be the last one.  Then it's over.  I'm gonna put a stake down here and say they don't make it through July

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

My AMC's tickets are dirt cheap, so I would have to see 5 morning shows or 3 regularly priced movies to make this worthwhile. The IMAX is frequent isn't AMC either, so that benefit is kinda useless in my current situation.

Your morning shows are $4 and evening $6? :apocalypse:

5 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

HMNY filings are extremely deceptive.  They cherry pick data/time intervals to show whatever they want*.  Their base has a high % of very heavy users...and there is no chance they are only watching 1.5 movies per month.  Defies reason. 

*When they want to feign traction then they boast about the large % of box office their service made up for instance

-when this next dumping of shares comes out then we can look at the fine print in the filing..

It's not gonna be good.  And I think it'll be the last one.  Then it's over.  I'm gonna put a stake down here and say they don't make it through July

The funny thing is  you and some others here have been claiming it's "over for real!" for MP every month since March or so. So yeah, we'll see lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1