baumer

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

Grade it  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Jumanji 1995 was an alright movie, but from a classic that left little room for improvement. This belated somewhat-sequel is a noticeable improvement. The video game angle adds a fresh twist to the concept (note to filmmakers everywhere: this is how you get a video game adaptation right) and at a time where blockbuster films go for as big of a scope as possible, it's refreshing to see something that aims for more of an old school Raiders of the Lost Ark kind of vibe. What really sells it is the cast though: Dwayne Johnson (having fun with his tough guy image), Kevin Hart, and Karen Gillan are all a ton of fun, but Jack Black steals the entire movie with a hilarious performance as a teenage girl trapped in a middle-aged man's body. Nick Jonas is good too (what a waste of Bobby Cannavale, though). B

• Like 1

Best Video game movie ever.

It's a simple plot, moves from A to B to C with no real twists or turns, but it doesn't try to be anything but that. The cast embraces the concept, running full hilt into playing different people in their bodies. Jack Black fully commits to being a teenage girl, it's astounding. It's a fun movie to watch. It is almost entirely seperate from the original in tone and style, and outside a small thing, it doesn't really acknowledge the previous films existence.

This movie has a super weak villain. 

It also has tons of plot holes (you get the same punishment for not wanting to do PE as you do plagiarizing essays all year? the whole thing with the mismatched avatars didn't quite track. also wasn't Jumaiji an African game? was this set in Africa? there are no jungles in Africa...)

And still I had a great time. Jack Black and Karen Gillan steal the movie. 

B+

I enjoyed it pretty much consistently throughout the movie. Funny and engaging, all the cast are good. Whoever cast Jack Black as a teenage girl is a smart person and should get a promotion.

I only wish there was more of the real life characters because that teenage girl is smoking hot.

Loved every minute of it.  The cast is excellent.  Black is the best part of the film but Johnson is terrific as well.  All four of them were terrific here.  The action is well done and it's a very funny film.  When you go into the theatre just hoping to be entertained, and then come out with a grin on your face, the film has done its job.  I'll see it again for sure.  Probably the most fun I've had at the theatre this year, along with The Hitman's Bodyguard.

9/10

what a letdown. An uninspiring adventure. Once you get past the body swap part, the only thing that is good is the interaction between the characters.  The adventure part is pure crap. It is the 2017 version of the blockbuster, Night at the Museum. A below average movie that is a mega crowd puller at holiday period.

C

It’s easy to see why Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle has been the surprise breakout of the season. Although it’s slight and I exited the theater knowing I wasn’t going to remember the nuances of the plot a week from now, I enjoyed it from start to finish. It’s different enough from the original that it doesn’t feel at all like a shameless remake or reboot, and its concept – four teenagers trapped in a video game – works surprisingly well thanks to relatively clever world-building and the commitment from its cast. All four of the main performers are funny and come across as believable as teenagers in adult avatars. Their rock-solid rapport carries the film from set piece to set piece, and it also redeems the absence of dramatic tension or a strong villain (one of the very few areas where this film falls short of its predecessor). It’s somehow also a lighter, less intense film than the original Jumanji despite carrying a higher MPAA rating (though the perceived reduction of intensity probably comes largely from the fact that adults experience the violence rather than children this time out). It’s slight, but it’s fun. 

B

The movie’s just kind of one running joke, except it somehow works the entire time (well at least the inside Jumanji bits).

When they’re teenagers, the movie really drags, it feels very tedious (despite being a minor part of the movie).  However Johnson, Hart, and Gillan are hilarious in their roles.  They own the parts and it really does seem like it’s their respective teenager in their body.

The video gane stuff is clever but not fully utilized.  There was a lot of potential to do even more than they did.

It’s overall an effective, yet empty, comedy.

B

The first half is solid, 2nd not as much, losses steam. Its fine entertainment, you have to judge a movie like this on the level its trying to be. Most of the action isn't well shot. Wish they moved the camera a bit more in the fights, lots of shots felt cut short. Needed more villain, maybe one more twist like thing. but who cares the movie takes place in the fucking JUNGLE! Adventure movies is my favorite genre so that helps.

Its fun though, it knows exactly what it is and is the best video game movie ever made. I LOVED that they used the game mechanics and rules. Might not hold up on another viewing though, well see. 

B- (82)

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 3

second time round, saw it with my parents who thought it was really funny. I laughed at all the gags the same as I did the first time, which for me is a good sign that they're actually funny. I felt it dragged a bit at the end though, with the fight by the statue. it ceased being funny and the action was a bit dull, compared to the previous action scenes like the motorbike chase or the helicopter scene.

still, really solid family entertainment and a big improvement on the original film.

Edited by Tree Billboards