grim22

Thursday #s: TLJ 17.8M, Jumanji 7.55M, TGS 2.1M

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Huh. I guess they're sexist, racist fanboy babies too? Always who you least suspect, ya know?

Is anyone pushing that ? I mean Last Jedi is of the new entries the movie the most about white men's, with Ren and Luke being the main 2 characthers versus the more diverse main protagonist of Force Awaken/Rogue One, I saw people saying people are wrong to say that is racist, sexist fanboys, but I don't think I ever anyone say that it was the case.

People that developped an habbit and skills to downvote stuff online and those doing it for Last Jedi probably are (strong correlation, but no causation) would not be surprising, people just not liking The Last Jedi ? Did anyone said that.

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Lol weird how that’s the talking point when really TFA has a much bigger role for Finn like he was truly indisposable to the plot of that film while in this one.. he’s so inconsequential you gotta wonder why racists are even mad lol. 

But is it a talking point ? Did anyone even insinuated such thing on this board or a strawmen like for Ghostbuster ?

Edited by Barnack

This isnt directed at any specific person on this board. These forums have been actually very civil compared to the shitholes that are YouTube, IMDB or any other movie website/forum in the last few days. Reading fucking death threats to Rian Johnson and all other kinds of shit (from both sides), i think this video sums up what the (idiotic) Internet should be like:

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Did someone calculated how much AoU dropped from Avengers in the "traditionnal" market versus the growing one ? Domestic, UK, France, Germany, Japan, Australia etc...The market star wars is big in.

Avengers Ultron

Domestic : 623,357,910->459,005,868 

UK: 80,563,081 -> 76,623,201

Australia: 54,385,465->30,969,152

France: 37,765,919->34,270,887

Germany: 30,828,359->31,193,932

Japan: 45,256,010->26,373,434

Total top 6 star wars market hold for Ultron from Avengers: 872.12 -> 658.39, 75.5% hold

That type of hold would mean around 1551m for Last Jedi, could go lower.

MCU had a couple of nice advantage for it to sustain is box office, obviously bringing some new popular characther and growing popularity of some of the characthers in it. But also it achieved to enter into new and growing market like china, brazil, mexico, south korea way more ? Smaller legacy of previous title for those market to catchup with ? Felt more fresh and colorful if they watched the previous entry they missed ?

2012 exchange rates >> 2015 exchange rates.

Whereas 2017 rates are pretty comparable to 2015 except for the UK.

• Like 1

7:00 previews at my theater:

PP3: 44/78 and 5/78

Downsizing: 13/69

Father Figures: 7/63

PP3's extra show at 7 is proving to be a waste :lol: It still has two shows left tonight (the other two have one left). With the 7:00 shows alone, it's running at 88% of OE's first show (25.3M), 120% of THB (25.7M), 155% of HDD (40.3M), and 180% of DH2 (53.5M). We'll see how the later shows fare.

Waiting for late shows before comparing the other two.

Just now, Barnack said:

But is it a talking point ? Did anyone even insinuated such thing on this board ?

Not on this forum, thank God.

But on Social Media, it is most definitely a charge made by the typical mouth-breather movie-bloggers. Either condescending "You're just too stupid to get it" or yes placing the blame on sexism, racism, fanboyism, etc. think-pieces. Ironically many of those claiming this are white males and friends/supporters of Rian Johnson (and still consider people like Devin Faraci to be swell guys).

Edited by filmnerdjamie

I like the way the calendar falls for Episode IX, at least I don't think there will be this level of meltdown over non-holiday weekdays :P 

If you look at it, Christmas is on Wednesday, which I personally think is amazing. That wipes out the completely useless discount Tuesdays of BOTH X-Mas Eve and NYE, since those are bad days anyway. Discount Tuesday helps shitty movies, it doesn't help big movies AT ALL. People were going to see these movies anyway, so it actually not only hurts the daily box office but it hurts the total box office as someone paid $5 to see a movie instead of $12. That's... not good. If I were a theater, I'd disallow discount Tuesday pricing for any big blockbuster for the first two weeks. It doesn't make good financial sense except that they don't care as much about the tickets, they care about the concessions, so I guess in the end it does make sense for them.

Also in 2019, that means the Monday should be enormous because everyone will be off that Monday, and the day after Christmas is Thursday, so since the 26th is usually also a pretty huge day, that takes care of the entire week being monster numerous outside of the obvious (the 24th). The very next day is Friday, another weekend day, so then you head into a monster 2nd weekend after a monster first week. The second week should also be huge, with everyone going back to school the 6th I believe it is. It's a better calendar lineup.

I still think you'll see Last Jedi rebound this weekend and next week, I think you just have to be patient. People are getting too hung up on "percent increases," as if this isn't ultimately about people. To say the weekend will make $60M, I mean seriously? Monday made more than $20M, so you think the weekend is the equivalent of three Mondays strung together...? I'm sorry... but lol... that's just not living in reality. 

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

2012 exchange rates >> 2015 exchange rates.

That explain the japan/australian/france drop you are right, when condition were the other way around like the UK

https://www.statista.com/statistics/285737/cinema-box-office-revenue-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

UK box office was larger and pound didn't move to USD

(using june)

2012: 1.554780

2015: 1.557244

Japan yen

2012: Jun 0.012613 

2015: Jun 0.008079 

32 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I still think you'll see Last Jedi rebound this weekend and next week, I think you just have to be patient. People are getting too hung up on "percent increases," as if this isn't ultimately about people. To say the weekend will make $60M, I mean seriously? Monday made more than $20M, so you think the weekend is the equivalent of three Mondays strung together...? I'm sorry... but lol... that's just not living in reality. 

What's not living in reality is pretending that there is 0% holiday boost so far. You have repeatedly made posts like that this week. This is simply wrong across the board, including Monday when the film dropped only 58%. If kids were 100% in school, it would have likely dropped 70% or more to about $15m.

Christmas Eve is very rough. Theaters close around 4 or 5 PM in many places. So you have a regular Sunday drop from Saturday performance and then pretty much zero night shows. Do you think it's going to perform like a regular Sunday? The boost comes on Monday.

FWIW, I think it will make it to around $70-75m for the 3-day weekend. The Monday-Tuesday numbers will be a lot more exciting to watch.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Not on this forum, thank God.

But on Social Media, it is most definitely a charge made by the typical mouth-breather movie-bloggers. Either condescending "You're just too stupid to get it" or yes placing the blame on sexism, racism, fanboyism, etc. think-pieces. Ironically many of those claiming this are white males and friends/supporters of Rian Johnson (and still consider people like Devin Faraci to be swell guys).

It's kinda like a fusion between the old Prequel defense + Ghostbusters 2016 defense.

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Jumanji vs Passengers dailies
7.2 - 4.1
6.4 - 3.2

Passengers ended with 100m DOM

Even with franchise front-loading, it should be compensated with better word of mouth (A- Cinemascore) that bode very well for going 160/190m (it is making 186% of Passenger has of now), if it does a 35/65 dbo/intl like it easily could, oh my, 455m to 545m WW, been a while that Sony didn't had that big of a success without any asterix I think, maybe Baby Driver could count for that, but that is a sequel possible type of movie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, REC said:

It's kinda like a fusion between the old Prequel defense + Ghostbusters 2016 defense.

That was a mostly a strawman and not a ghostbuster defence I have ever heard from someone serious.

No one ever said you are sexist if you do not like Ghostbuster 2016, if you are making a big deal out of that summer movie more than the hundreds of bad one that we got before and after it too..... that is suspicious.

Edited by Barnack

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That was a mostly a strawman and not a ghostbuster defence I have ever heard from someone serious.

No one ever said you are sexist if you do not like Ghostbuster 2016, if you are making a big deal out of a summer movie too..... that is suspicious.

To be fair tons of people did, maybe not on here, but they did all over the place, even some mainstream reviewers.

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The Last Jedi is running ( for now ) 85 million behind The Force Awakens, according to boxofficemojo...

Will that difference increase or decrease?

It will increase massively over the weekend.

Then it will decrease steadily over the next 9 Days.

Then the post-holiday legs will decide its fate.

Just now, stuart360 said:

To be fair tons of people did, maybe not on here, but they did all over the place, even some mainstream reviewers.

Never find one, any time I had that conversation of the past and people pointed to someone (specially of people involved in the movie) they always shifted people that expressed hate or made a big deal out of a bad movie being probably sexist to people that didn't like it are probably sexist (that no one serious ever said).

Be curious, but every instance I encountered was a strawmen.