grim22

Thursday #s: TLJ 17.8M, Jumanji 7.55M, TGS 2.1M

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Why all the movies is still having big drops even with more people going out of school and work?

On wednesday, Coco drop 30%, Ferdinand drop 23%, Wonder drop 29%...

It's because of the people still in school and work?

We could expected better jumps than normal next week to compensate?

They lost a lot of screens to Jumanji and Greatest Showman yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I got read the riot act tonight by my best friend... like the epiphany of a movie casual who called to discuss how pissed he was at Jedi. 20 years of friendship and plenty of movies seen between the two of us and this was a first. Makes me very curious for when I can actually see it next week. 

Still think it's hitting 700m but this kind of vitrol is abnormal for my friend and I can only imagine what some other casuals are thinking. (Echo chamber alert this is the first negative wom I have heard in real life.) 

Totally not what I expected from him. 

Is he a big fan of the original movies or what? Granted, most of the population loves those movies. 

• Astonished 1

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Is he a big fan of the original movies or what? Granted, most of the population loves those movies. 

That's like asking if that person eats when he is hungry.  :redcapes:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I got read the riot act tonight by my best friend... like the epiphany of a movie casual who called to discuss how pissed he was at Jedi. 20 years of friendship and plenty of movies seen between the two of us and this was a first. Makes me very curious for when I can actually see it next week. 

Still think it's hitting 700m but this kind of vitrol is abnormal for my friend and I can only imagine what some other casuals are thinking. (Echo chamber alert this is the first negative wom I have heard in real life.) 

Totally not what I expected from him. 

Wonder if a big theater chain or two is accidentally playing The Last Knight instead :lol:.

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I wonder if the runtime is holding down TFAs holds. Many don't want to see a two and a half hour movie on a worknight

Ehhhh  there's a lot of people who are off now.   We need to see more obviously but I've been saying I never bought the "it's all bots man!" story that's been floating around.  There is some negativity surrounding this film. 

5 minutes ago, Sam said:

Seems like it’s gonna be a pretty uninteresting weekend at the BO for me. 

Well, aside from the back and forth about TLJ. I’m sure I’ll enjoy that. 

I'm bunkering down in the Classic Conversation until something, ANYTHING, else comes out to take over some discussion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

So let me make sure I understand something, and I'm not misunderstanding. Are people actually laughing at a box office run which will clear 600m domestically with ease?

Forget all other targets that I think this will personally hit.  I just want to make sure I understand that before commenting further.

I don't think laughing is the right way to go about it but when you consider TFA made over $900M  it would be way more of a drop off than most were expecting and I personally do not think Episode IX is going to see an increase.  Then after episode IX..    who knows.     Star Wars will always put up impressive numbers but TFA was maybe a once in a lifetime run.

26 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Why all the movies is still having big drops even with more people going out of school and work?

On wednesday, Coco drop 30%, Ferdinand drop 23%, Wonder drop 29%...

It's because of the people still in school and work?

We could expected better jumps than normal next week to compensate?

I'm kinda confused with these school / work thing

There were drops on Wednesday because Tuesday is a popular day to go to the movies due to discounts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't think laughing is the right way to go about it but when you consider TFA made over $900M  it would be way more of a drop off than most were expecting and I personally do not think Episode IX is going to see an increase.  Then after episode IX..    who knows.     Star Wars will always put up impressive numbers but TFA was maybe a once in a lifetime run.

Actually, it's not the final gross that will be disappointing because if it hits 700, that's about a 25% drop from TFA.  That's perfectly in line with what A LOT of people were predicting before it came out.

But with it opening to a mere 10% less than TFA, having it struggle to reach 700 or just get by it seems like a disappointment.  

Nothing feels right about my predictions in the Derby this weekend.

TLJ dropping close to 70%? Hey, it'll more than likely happen!

Downsizing over The Greatest Showman? Well, BOP only has 2M between them!

Justice League dropping over 80%? Sure!

Is just over a 60% drop too low for Wonder? I don't know; Lionsgate refused to release TCs!

There could be some disastrous scores this weekend.

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

Actually, it's not the final gross that will be disappointing because if it hits 700, that's about a 25% drop from TFA.  That's perfectly in line with what A LOT of people were predicting before it came out.

But with it opening to a mere 10 less than TFA, having it struggle to reach 700 or just get by it seems like a disappointment.  

I think Disney is going to run Star Wars into the ground... not literally because it will always make money but I an see the next trilogy being a big "yawn" at the box office.  I'm not looking forward to those discussions. 

5 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

But with it opening to a mere 10 less than TFA, having it struggle to reach 700 or just get by it seems like a disappointment.  

???

How did it open 10 less than TFA?

Preview was 12 under.

OD was 15 under

OW was nearly 28 under.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't lighting the world on fire*.  But even 688 was plausible given recent trends of Cultural Phenomenon ==> Sequel.

* At least compared to TFA

Edited by Porthos

3 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think Disney is going to run Star Wars into the ground... not literally because it will always make money but I an see the next trilogy being a big "yawn" at the box office.  I'm not looking forward to those discussions. 

Well, I think they can easily "fix" the next episode and bringing JJ in will help.

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

???

How did it open 10 less than TFA?

Preview was 12 under.

OD was 15 under

OW was 27 under.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't lighting the world on fire.  But even 688 was plausible given recent trends of Cultural Phenomenon ==> Sequel.

10% less, typo.

• Thanks 1