grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

You joke, but if Solo is coming a mere 5 months off a mixed reception main entry that fell well over 40% in WW gross from its predecessor, then Solo could actually flop in terms of being profitable. The talk starts happening behind the scenes, and we see some changes in the current plans happen, possibly even starting with IX's plot. 

I think thats Hyperbole. Yes, this Friday number isnt good, but lets wait for the numbers for the next 2 weeks shall we?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You joke, but if Solo is coming a mere 5 months off a mixed reception main entry that fell 40% in WW gross from its predecessor, then Solo could actually flop in terms of being profitable. The talk starts happening behind the scenes, and we see some changes in the current plans happen, possibly even starting with IX's plot. 

But the Solo movie was always a cash grabby and lame idea.

It was never going to make RO money.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

You joke, but if Solo is coming a mere 5 months off a mixed reception main entry that fell well over 40% in WW gross from its predecessor, then Solo could actually flop in terms of being profitable. The talk starts happening behind the scenes, and we see some changes in the current plans happen, possibly even starting with IX's plot. 

Solo will live or die by its own sword, a la Wonder Woman. The general public doesn't give two shits about the fall-out/firing of Lord & Miller with all due respect. Edwards was essentially fired off Rogue One and that still did $1B.

The problem is if it "only" does $300M domestic as opposed to the three Disney-era Star Wars film that preceded it. 

Summer is just getting more and more crowded. Don't see why they don't just slot it to Christmas (besides Mary Poppins Returns which is arguably aiming for a different audience).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

What is this collective jerk off session with guys and Star Wars OT? I mean, really, ESB the BEST film of all time? Of course you can have that opinion, but my god, the hyperbole around the films is ridiculous. 

It’s not the best movie ever but I would rank it #1 for action/blockbuster sequels. Terminator 2 would be my #2 action sequel. The best sequel overall is Godfather Part 2. That movie is flat out incredible. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It’s not the best movie ever but I would rank it #1 for action/blockbuster sequels. Terminator 2 would be my #2 action sequel. The best sequel overall is Godfather Part 2. That movie is flat out incredible. 

Good take, but i have a better one:

Spoiler

troll2-columbia1.jpg

Edited by Brainbug
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Solo will live or die by its own sword, a la Wonder Woman. The general public doesn't give two shits about the fall-out/firing of Lord & Miller with all due respect. Edwards was essentially fired off Rogue One and that still did $1B.

The problem is if it "only" does $300M domestic as opposed to the three Disney-era Star Wars film that preceded it. 

Summer is just getting more and more crowded. Don't see why they don't just slot it to Christmas (besides Mary Poppins Returns which is arguably aiming for a different audience).

This is obviously jumping ahead, but if TLJ only does something like a 3x multi which would make it clear WOM was indeed subpar, and then Solo only does something like 600 WW, Disney is going to be concerned about SW fatigue. Things will be reconsidered, plans will shift. They might decide to make IX the most "crowd pleasy" movie ever and take an SW hiatus after 2019. 

This is obviously jumping ahead, but if TLJ only does something like a 3x multi which would make it clear WOM was indeed subpar, and then Solo only does something like 600 WW, Disney is going to be concerned about SW fatigue. Things will be reconsidered, plans will shift. They might decide to make IX the most "crowd pleasy" movie ever and take an SW hiatus after 2019. 

The next time Disney interferes with/mandates changes to a Lucasfilm project will be the first time, FWIW.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

They should have already considered Star Wars fatigue. But Disney gonna Disney.

That's definitely danger territory, imo. Is Han even that popular of a character in OS markets? If the movie has to live or die by DOM, then it could be in trouble. 

I gotta say, the Han Solo movie will be a film ill skip if it doesnt have something like 95%+ on RT. It is the definition of unneccessary to me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's just not true. Most of the fanbase wanted to see the movie stray from the OT blueprint. That was virtually the only complaint from fans about TFA (too ANH-ish). What RJ did with TLJ is a different thing entirely, which I won't go into for sake of spoilers. 

I probably worded that wrong. I didn’t mean that they want it to be structurally the same as far story beats, but that they want it to pick up exactly where the OT left off with zero change in any of the characters even though it’s 30 years later. That’s all. 

I just turned 43 and I’ve been a SW fan since I was 5 but I just didn’t have a problem with what RJ did in the movie character wise. Guess I’m in the minority lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1