grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

A passing comment from Pablo Hidaglo reminds me there is one very very VERY good thing about the deluge of SW coming out now and in the future.

If any one instance of film/TV episode/book/comic doesn't thrill you, there's going to be another film/TV episode/book/comic coming down the pike soon you might like more.

Instead of putting crushing, and perhaps unrealistic, expectations on a single movie there is a whole empire of stories to look forward too.

Don't like TLJ that much?  Maybe Rebels is more your speed. Or indeed, Solo or the rumored Kenobi movie.

Think Rebels is too kiddy? Maybe the new Live Action TV series is more your bag.

Don't like any of that?  Well, maybe the Thrawn book will be up your alley, or similar books.

Or perhaps the SW Comics or video games.

One of the greatest things going on right now in regards to SW is that it can try to target different tastes with different releases.  It doesn't have to live up to monumental expectations if any particular movie or book or whatever doesn't click with any single person for whatever reason.

This also lets Lucasfilm, and yes I said Lucasfilm on purpose, to take different tacts with different things.  It allows Dave Filoni to fly his freak flag high in Rebels. It allows Charles Soule and Kieron Gillen to explore their inner darkness in their respective Darth Vader comics. And, yes, it allows Gareth Edwards and Rian Johnson a bit of elbow room for what it means to have a successful SW film.

And with the Live Action TV series coming out, even more varied voices should be allowed to sing in the future.

So don't like TLJ?  Well even when sticking to movies that just means that perhaps the one released next year is more to your liking. Not the worst situation to be in, IMO. :)

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:
48 minutes ago, a2knet said:

What would have happened if SW8 and Avatar2 had clashed somehow? SW8 would have easily taken the ow despite taking a hit imo.

SW8 170 ow / 550 dom

Missing a 0 added for you

What if it's A2 1000 ow / 400 DOM? Like it's so bad that over half the audience required a refund.

Edited by vc2002
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Might as well just wait until 2021 and establish that 12 year pattern. Then Avatar 5 can hit when he's 103, since we know he's going to live forever.

I think others posted here that 2020 would be the most favorable for its box office performance. Same calendar arrangement as the first film and TFA, with Christmas Day on Friday.

For as terrible as the trailers have been, literally no star power attached to the soundtrack, and the fact that it's completely played out...I think that's actually really good for PP3.  I know the second opened huge but this could have had through the roof reviews and would have never topped 40.  The second was always going to be huge because the first found so, so much of its fanbase after the first film's theatrical run.  

It really does show that PP itself has a brand, but yeah they need to stop here (as I'm sure they will as I'm sure Kendrick at least feels above it by now).

5 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I think others posted here that 2020 would be the most favorable for its box office performance. Same calendar arrangement as the first film and TFA, with Christmas Day on Friday.

I don’t agree that this is the most favorable at all. I know that’s common wisdom, and it’s wrong. You waste the 26th - an incredible day - on a weekend Saturday that was already going to be great. I far prefer 2019 with Episode IX. Xmas on Wednesday allows for a monster Wed / Thurs and cancels out the losses (or most of them) from both discount Tuesdays for Xmas Eve and NYE. That’s a great calendar! Especially because discount Tuesdays don’t help capacity blockbusters at all; they hurt. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Avatar 2 is going to be the most interesting upcoming film to watch what happens at the box office. There's about six different ways I see it going. 

I'm really not looking forward its domestic performance, i'm more intrigued for its China performance.

3D without glasses? That's gonna easily break the FOTF records there.

Edited by Carlangonz

1 minute ago, EpicBoom23 said:

Hi guys!
All that thrilling show with Star Wars box office forced me to register and stop being a passive reader:D
But the actual question is when we can expect more accurate Saturday numbers?

If we're lucky, about an hour from now.

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

A passing comment from Pablo Hidaglo reminds me there is one very very VERY good thing about the deluge of SW coming out now and in the future.

If any one instance of film/TV episode/book/comic doesn't thrill you, there's going to be another film/TV episode/book/comic coming down the pike soon you might like more.

Instead of putting crushing, and perhaps unrealistic, expectations on a single movie there is a whole empire of stories to look forward too.

Don't like TLJ that much?  Maybe Rebels is more your speed. Or indeed, Solo or the rumored Kenobi movie.

Think Rebels is too kiddy? Maybe the new Live Action TV series is more your bag.

Don't like any of that?  Well, maybe the Thrawn book will be up your alley, or similar books.

One of the greatest things going on right now in regards to SW is that it can try to target different tastes with different releases.  It doesn't have to live up to monumental expectations if any particular movie or book or whatever doesn't click with any single person for whatever reason.

This also lets Lucasfilm, and yes I said Lucasfilm on purpose, to take different tacts with different things.  It allows Dave Filoni to fly his freak flag high in Rebels. It allows Charles Soule and Kieron Gillen to explore their inner darkness in their respective Darth Vader comics. And, yes, it allows Gareth Edwards and Rian Johnson a bit of elbow room for what it means to have a successful SW film.

And with the Live Action TV series coming out, even more varied voices should be allowed to sing in the future.

So don't like TLJ?  Well even when sticking to movies that just means that perhaps the one released next year is more to your liking. Not the worst situation to be in, IMO. :)

2019 go to Anaheim or Orlando and fully immerse yourself in the world.

Also highlighted easily some of the best material to come out of the new canon

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I don’t agree that this is the most favorable at all. I know that’s common wisdom, and it’s wrong. You waste the 26th - an incredible day - on a weekend Saturday that was already going to be great. I far prefer 2019 with Episode IX. Xmas on Wednesday allows for a monster Wed / Thurs and cancels out the losses (or most of them) from both discount Tuesdays for Xmas Eve and NYE. That’s a great calendar! Especially because discount Tuesdays don’t help capacity blockbusters at all; they hurt. 

Christmas on Friday is probably the best as far as getting the softest second-weekend drop possible. But I can't say whether or not this actually results in a higher box office total in the end compared to a calendar arrangement like you described. The other consensus seems to be that you don't want the 24th or 30th of December to land on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. But again, it's hard to say whether the depressed turnout over the weekend is fully compensated later on by the stronger holiday weekdays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

Christmas on Friday is probably the best as far as getting the softest second-weekend drop possible. But I can't say whether or not this actually results in a higher box office total in the end compared to a calendar arrangement like you described. The other consensus seems to be that you don't want the 24th or 30th of December to land on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. But again, it's hard to say whether the depressed turnout over the weekend is fully compensated later on by the stronger holiday weekdays.

I agree. I’m not sure if it affects things in the big picture. I guess I’m just superstitious and don’t like the last two calendars because it leads to misguided headlines about enormous drops. It’s one reason I scratched my head about Solo’s release date. Disney didn’t pay attention to Fox?! You don’t release Star Wars ON Memorial Day weekend dumbies, you release it the weekend before! That way it’s a 3-day weekend to a 4-day holiday weekend and virtually guarantees two monsters in a row. 

Xmas on Friday definitely helps the second weekend decline immeasurably. I just thought seeing what Rogue One made on the 26th was the most impressive day of its entire run. I wasn’t blown away by any of its daily numbers except that one. Don’t get me wrong it was an incredible, amazing performance for a spin off or for any movie frankly. But it did so more consistently (as I expect TLJ will accomplish - a kind of muted, kind of boring, somewhat disappointing run to $700M that I think it will attain). That one day was the “wow” factor for me. I got spoiled by TFA because I felt like just about every day was a wow. Ironically the $57M previews were less impressive (!) than the $40M Monday. Award for least impressive day for TFA was its first Saturday. Rth was basically posting updates all day and the initial estimates looked downright disappointing until finally it ended the day doing fantastic but the failure to beat JW was the only time during the whole run I was actually disappointed. Then it made up with a ridiculously overperforming Sunday. I probably won’t ever get over $40M Monday in 2015 dollars. May not see anything like that for a long time, in pure ticket sales. But the fact it nearly maintained that same gross the next few days was dumbfounding.

39 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Great post! This is where Lucasfilm is leaps and bounds ahead of Marvel Studios. They don't just have a slate of movies, they have all this other material to go along with it, all of which is canon and carries a varying degree of importance to the overall lore. For instance, the novel 'Leia: Princess of Alderaan' first introduces the character of Amilyn Holdo and her relationship with Leia, as well as the world of Crait, not TLJ. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Any of these release dates are really good. The holiday boost is amazing to watch. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Any of these release dates are really good. The holiday boost is amazing to watch. 

Very true. It’s weird to think I grew up watching weekend grosses that looked like TFA’s numbers each day, or worse. Like when I started following the box office Lost World was the biggest ever at $72M. And good solid $30M weekends were what you mostly saw out of movies. Otherwise known as about what TFA made on Xmas Eve hahaha.