grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

13 minutes ago, Reyhawk said:

Well that Sunday # certainly makes this week very interesting.

Jep, for both films, but I am also really interested if the other films managed better drops than the average did in 2006.

What I think is really interesting, TLJ had the second highest Opening Weekend and Week, just the 14th second Weekend, but (if Friday and Saturday hold with RTHs Sunday so 71,25 mio Weekend) it would just need 82,2 Mio over the four weekdays to get the second! highest week of all time (right now that is Rogue one with 153,4 Mio and that film made 89.4 Mio during those four weekdays).

I think that really shows how crazy the end of December really is.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Taruseth said:

Jep, for all films.

What I think is really interesting, TLJ had the second highest Opening Weekend and Week, just the 14th second Weekend, but (if Friday and Saturday hold with RTHs Sunday so 71,25 mio Weekend) it would just need 82,2 Mio over the four weekdays to get the second! highest week of all time (right now that is Rogue one with 153,4 Mio and that film made 89.4 Mio during those four weekdays).

I think that really shows how crazy the end of December really is.

Yeah it should get there, the next 2 days are gonna be absolutely enormous.

• Like 1

Damn good Sunday increase for TLJ, happy that it's finally starting to show some good staying power.

But holy crap, Jumanji is the highlight of the week, for sure. Amazing stuff. If, by some miracle, Fri and Sat both are adjusted up, it could still cross 40M for the 3-day, which is incredible. And most impressive of all: it has a shot at outgrossing the original Jumanji adjusted for inflation, which I definitely did not see coming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Damn good Sunday increase for TLJ, happy that it's finally starting to show some good staying power.

But holy crap, Jumanji is the highlight of the week, for sure. Amazing stuff. If, by some miracle, Fri and Sat both are adjusted up, it could still cross 40M for the 3-day, which is incredible. And most impressive of all: it has a shot at outgrossing the original Jumanji adjusted for inflation, which I definitely did not see coming.

Dwayne Johnson, his power (aside from Baywatch but then there was no saving that movie).

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dwayne Johnson, his power (aside from Baywatch but then there was no saving that movie).

Yeah, Jumanji only makes Baywatch look like an even bigger disaster. That movie had such an amazing line-up of potential, and it totally destroyed it. I thought for sure it was gonna be the breakout comedy of the Summer... eek.

And it also proves that not every single reboot/return of a decades old franchise, even a beloved one, is a stupid idea, after all. If you're not doing a Ghostbusters with it, it may just work out.

Also: this BETTER mean that Rampage goes over 100M DOM.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, Jumanji only makes Baywatch look like an even bigger disaster. That movie had such an amazing line-up of potential, and it totally destroyed it. I thought for sure it was gonna be the breakout comedy of the Summer... eek.

And it also proves that not every single reboot/return of a decades old franchise, even a beloved one, is a stupid idea, after all. If you're not doing a Ghostbusters with it, it may just work out.

the most notable difference between that was jumanji has RT at its favour while baywatch just get totally screwed 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Even just a 100% Christmas Day jump gives TLJ 34,8M, a huge number and bigger than TFA 2nd Monday. That increase is very conservative though, i think a jump in the 120% range is far more likely. We may see another 40M Monday :ohmygod:

Edit: Its worth to note that TFA Christmas Day was 49M. Should my (very) optimistic 40M for TLJ come true, that would be extremely impressive.

If it’s only dropping 40% Sunday, then a 100% increase on Monday is not very conservative...especially with Discount Tuesday. 

28 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think its a good idea (most of the time) to remake/reboot a film/franchise if the original(s) are either aging not that well or have a good story, but are bad products overall. The original Jumanji is a movie that i like because ive seen it often as a kid, but it really hasnt aged well. The effects look cheap to downright horrible, the acting is so-so and even Robin Williams (RIP :() feels a bit wasted. So there you have a movie where a reimagining makes a lot of sense.

And thats why, imo, the remakes of films like Robocop, Total Recall or Ghostbusters are so unneccessary and will always be in the shadow of the vastly superior original movies.

• Like 1

I don't know if that's been pointed/discussed before in the thread, but ...

... can anyone explain me why all that enraged fury, gut hate, anger ... from @robcain against TLJ?

Don't know if it's just the choleric ire from a super SW radical fanboy disgusted with the movie plot? Or if he hates Disney in general? 

I use to read boxoffice info in Forbes, since Scott Mendelson is a way more positive and friendly writter (for the boxoffice info, in general). But reading that robcain guy is something between drama queen and funny clown. The first couple of articles i read I was kind of "oh gosh ... TLJ is gonna destroy our civilization" ... but after that i just read his headlines (while looking for Scott's articles) and make a laugh at them. Don't even bother opening his articles. 

But, really, can anyone sum it up for me if there's been any issue between that Rob guy and Disney, or Lucasfilms, or it's just the way he is? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I don't know if that's been pointed/discussed before in the thread, but ...

... can anyone explain me why all that enraged fury, gut hate, anger ... from @robcain against TLJ?

Don't know if it's just the choleric ire from a super SW radical fanboy disgusted with the movie plot? Or if he hates Disney in general? 

I use to read boxoffice info in Forbes, since Scott Mendelson is a way more positive and friendly writter (for the boxoffice info, in general). But reading that robcain guy is something between drama queen and funny clown. The first couple of articles i read I was kind of "oh gosh ... TLJ is gonna destroy our civilization" ... but after that i just read his headlines (while looking for Scott's articles) and make a laugh at them. Don't even bother opening his articles. 

But, really, can anyone sum it up for me if there's been any issue between that Rob guy and Disney, or Lucasfilms, or it's just the way he is? 

Never heard of him until the last week or so. He seems unhinged. One of his articles claimed Last Jedi’s run is as bad as Justice League. Insane statement just based on opening weekend by itself. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2