grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

6 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Is it logical that TLJ has 120% increase while Jumanji has 73%?Jumanji had a lot better sunday drop. Maybe one of these is estimated wrong?

Doesn't appear that Mojo updated the Sunday estimate. Sunday came in at 17.9 mil according to Deadline. So 79.8% increase on Christmas is Disney's estimate

• Like 2

JJ needs to run a much tighter ship for IX. No more storyline by working groups at Lucasfilm. Save that for the TV series.

The entire saga is redeemable with some simple but elegant plot twists. TLJ was somewhat of a lost opportunity but I still think the best SW content is in front of us.

Stepping off soap box now.

3 minutes ago, SWXII said:

JJ needs to run a much tighter ship for IX. No more storyline by working groups at Lucasfilm. Save that for the TV series.

The entire saga is redeemable with some simple but elegant plot twists. TLJ was somewhat of a lost opportunity but I still think the best SW content is in front of us.

Well we were just given the best Star Wars movie with TLJ so he has a tough task ahead of him with 9 to be even better. 

Which means we probably just get ROTJ remixed and the complaints of being safe and where are the risks being taken, somehow forgetting TLJ.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, SWXII said:

So...what TLJ did?

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Jumanji pretty much confirms Baywatch was sunk by the power of the Tomato and Paramount.

Baywatch had Zac Efron. The Rock is a waste of space but he doesn't make a movie unwatchable like Efron. Efron is like the kiss of death for a movie. 

• Haha 1

I have to admit, I am VERY curious about TLJ's Discount Tuesday number.

Usually we see a jump on Tuesday because tickets are discounted, which means that the sheer increase in admissions over Monday will cover the lower price.  But with Monday running at such a huge capacity due to it being Christmas, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it stay flat or even decrease if the Christmas Monday number is huge enough.  And, yes, theaters in my town at least all have Discount Tuesday prices going on for tomorrow.

So, once again, putting my marker down ahead of time so I won't be accused of trying to explain stuff away after the fact. ;)

The Christmas projections are a little higher than we got yesterday, meaning more folks went to the movies yesterday than anticipated. That's good news all around, and it also meant that The Last Jedi's second-weekend drop was slightly less awful than presumed. To wit, The Last Jedi dropped "just" 67% on its second weekend, earning $72 million for a $368m ten-day total. That's still a $148m drop from its $220m debut weekend, a record for such a thing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/25/box-office-jumanji-and-pitch-perfect-3-dominate-christmas-weekend/#198cd3ee232e

18 minutes ago, SWXII said:

JJ needs to run a much tighter ship for IX. No more storyline by working groups at Lucasfilm.

TFA was the definition of design by committee (a committee whose MO was "make it as much like A New Hope as possible".)

It's weird because I didn't even like TLJ that much, but man there's a lot of bullshit being peddled around here.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not even then. ROTS >>>>>>>>>>>>> TLJ and TFA

TFA>>>TLJ>>>>>>>>>ROTS

I think i like RO the best when it comes to the Disney era of Star Wars films. I'm sick of the Jedi.

Edited by Elessar

9 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

TFA was the definition of design by committee (a committee whose MO was "make it as much like A New Hope as possible".)

It's weird because I didn't even like TLJ that much, but man there's a lot of bullshit being peddled around here.

My big concern with JJ coming back is that he's totally a set up guy but never delivered a good finale/closure/pay-off/third Act. TFA played to his strengths as committee as it may be (casting, cast chemistry, some mysteries to keep people talking) but following through and closing the story are his weaknesses. 

Edited by Valonqar