grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

7 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m curious to see how Aquaman, Poppins, Engines, Bumblebee, and Spiderverse will perform over the holidays next season. Which one will be the DH/Sing/Jumanji breakout?

Poppins. It's gonna be huge.

Bumblebee has flop written all over it.

41 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Interesting thing about Jumanji is that it was advertised much more as "The Rock featuring Kevin Hart and Jack Black" than something like CI which was "The Rock AND Kevin Hart." Smart strategy, and I'm more a Hart fan than not. He's funnier in this when he's just a fun supporting role not tasked with carrying like Think Like a Man than anything he's done on screen in a few years.

Every major promotional interview for the movie features both of them. They actually went out of their way to make the point that it is not a The Rock movie, which is probably intentional given Central Intelligence's performance and Baywatch's performance. That appears to have been extremely smart for Sony. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy

4 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

There’s literally three different threads to talk about The Last Jedi as a movie?  I personally like talking about the movie but why not talk about some of the BO runs going on right now?  I mean it’s the weekend thread, right?

On that note, I’m really impressed with Jumanji’s numbers, was expecting a success but the GA is really taking to that movie.  I definitely think that effects TLJ’s BO some, It has much more appealing competition than TFA had (maybe RO too, as Jumanji could easily go over Sing).

TLJ is the movie event of the year - perhaps the last 2 years - and it's also ringing in some unexpectedly lower numbers than we all expected. Yeah, it's going to dominate the thread.

But yes, Jumanji is quite the story. Hopefully it evolves into its own Christmas time tradition franchise. We all know that's where NATM got started.

Not to turn this into some giant discussion of diversity but if Rose was just a checkbox to mark off they would have just given her a smaller role. Like the one in Kong Skull Island, or the Asian Sergeant in Valerian where they are more or less bystanders and witnesses in the proceedings. But no, she has a large role (and clearly too much for some) and has her own character, motivations, and personality that are clearly defined and is partaking in the plot whether you liked her or not. She behaves and acts like a normal person that happens to be Asian because they exist. That’s not what I think of as forced diversity. She was a character Rian wanted to introduce. Whether she worked or not is another story entirely. I thought the subplot in question was bad too but Kelly herself was ‘fine’

• Like 22

Just now, LonePirate said:

Poppins hands down. Bumblebee will be DOA. Engines is an unknown, IMO. The others are tiresome extensions we do not need but will outpace Bumblebee.

Agreed. 

Nov-Dec 2018 actually looks quite strong. I think Bumblebee will be a bomb, Dark Phoenix a major disappointment, Spidey not as strong as people think since Aquaman and Poppins will split both the tentpole and family audiences. I could see $120-150 million DOM, depending on WOM, though. 

Grinch and Poppins could easily be 2 of the top 3 films next year IMO. I think they have the highest ceiling of any major films being released other than Black Panther. 

Spoiler
  1. Dr. Seuss' The Grinch: $420 million 
  2. Mary Poppins Returns: $375 million  
  3. Aquaman: $225 million 
  4. Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindelwald: $220 million 
  5. Ralph Breaks the Internet - Wreck-it Ralph 2: $140 million 
  6. Dark Phoenix: $115 million 
  7. Spider-Man - Into the Spider-Verse: $110 million 
  8. Bohemian Rhapsody: $105 million 
  9. The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: $85 million 
  10. Holmes and Watson: $70 million 
  11. Widows: $65 million 
  12. Mortal Engines: $60 million 
  13. Bumblebee: $55 million 
  14. Untitled Robert Zemeckis Project: $50 million
  15. Mary, Queen of Scots: $35 million  

• Like 1

Question is which one of these movies will make over $150M?

Proud Mary

Sony / Screen Gems 1/12/18
Peter Rabbit Sony / Columbia 2/9/18
Alpha Sony / Columbia 3/2/18
Paul, Apostle of Christ Sony / Columbia 3/28/18
Slenderman Sony / Screen Gems 5/18/18
Sicario 2: Soldado Sony / Columbia 6/29/18
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation Sony / Columbia 7/13/18
The Equalizer 2 Sony / Columbia 8/3/18
Barbie Sony / Columbia 8/8/18
Cadaver Sony / Screen Gems 8/24/18
Goosebumps 2 Sony / Columbia 9/21/18
Venom (2018) Sony / Columbia 10/5/18
The Girl in the Spider's Web Sony / Columbia 10/19/18
Holmes & Watson Sony / Columbia 11/9/18
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (3D) Sony / Columbia

12/14/18 

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Proud Mary

12/14/18 

Venom will do it easily I think

Hotel Transylvania and Spider-Man also have a good shot at crossing it too.

The rest are LOL

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

BOT for most of 2017: Sony is dead. DEAD I TELL YOU!

Sony at the end of 2017:

Image result for surprise bitch

To be fair to Sony, they did have Homecoming, Baby Driver and even The Emoji Movie this year (people forget that Emoji actually did very well for its budget). Compared to Paramount, which only had one real hit this year (Daddy's Home 2) and one other mild performer accounting for WW numbers (Transformers 5), Sony had a Disney-worthy year.

Lionsgate was the true breakout of 2017, though. Wonder, John Wick 2, The Shack, The Big Sick, The Hitman's Bodyguard, How To Be A Latin Lover, Jigsaw (if you account WW and not just DOM)... even La La Land made the majority of its money in 2017. Sure, they still had a few bombs (Power Rangers, All Eyez On Me, Patriots Day), but their year was shockingly solid for the most part.

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Proud Mary

12/14/18 

Pretty sure Barbie is moving to 2019, haven't heard anything since Hathaway got cast. The Equalizer 2 in summer seems like a really bad idea.

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Not to turn this into some giant discussion of diversity but if Rose was just a checkbox to mark off they would have just given her a smaller role. Like the one in Kong Skull Island, or the Asian Sergeant in Valerian where they are more or less bystanders and witnesses in the proceedings. 

The Asian officer in Valerian saved the day though by turning off the bomb :sparta:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

TLJ is the movie event of the year - perhaps the last 2 years - and it's also ringing in some unexpectedly lower numbers than we all expected. Yeah, it's going to dominate the thread.

But yes, Jumanji is quite the story. Hopefully it evolves into its own Christmas time tradition franchise. We all know that's where NATM got started.

No, I don't mind people discussing TLJ's run, or implications on if WOM is good or not.  It's getting into the plotline and quality debates here.  Like, why do we need to discuss character specifics about TLJ in the weekend thread, when there's the non-spoiler TLJ movie thread, spoiler TLJ movie thread, and the review thread for TLJ.

• Like 2

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

To be fair to Sony, they did have Homecoming, Baby Driver and even The Emoji Movie this year (people forget that Emoji actually did very well for its budget). Compared to Paramount, which only had one real hit this year (Daddy's Home 2) and one other mild performer accounting for WW numbers (Transformers 5), Sony had a Disney-worthy year.

Lionsgate was the true breakout of 2017, though. Wonder, John Wick 2, The Shack, The Big Sick, The Hitman's Bodyguard, How To Be A Latin Lover, Jigsaw (if you account WW and not just DOM)... even La La Land made the majority of its money in 2017. Sure, they still had a few bombs (Power Rangers, All Eyez On Me, Patriots Day), but their year was shockingly solid for the most part.

You know what if Lionsgate buys Weinstein and perhaps Blue Sky (since Ferdinand didn’t do so hot and if they don’t fold it into DisneyToon, I can see Disney selling and maybe Lionsgate buying), and Choas Walking does $300M+ well (again not likely) they can position themselves to be a big 6 studio taking Fox’s spot.

• Like 1