grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

Just now, grey ghost said:

Virtually all of these peaked with the second movie.

Not good comps for SW trilogies which always peak with the first.

You could also argue though that none of them had a big hook for the finale. I mean Return of the King had the hook of the one ring finally being destroyed, ROTJ had the hook of seeing how the biggest movie twist of all time in ESB played out, ROTS had the hook of the birth of Vader/completion at the time of the Star Wars saga, Toy Story 3 had the nostalgia Andy grown up hook, DH2 had the hook of the Harry/Voldemort showdown teased for 7 movies finally happening, etc. 

• Like 2

lol @ people now saying TLJ disappointing performance is to be blamed on Jumanji.  

1.  TLJ is going to make a ton of money for Disney.

2.  It's performance post OW has been completely underwhelming and the Friday number is flat out disappointing (this is due to mixed WOM with the GA and fanboys alike)

Both of those truths can coexist.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SWXII said:

I have figured out a way Episode IX can redeem the franchise without destroying the previous two trilogies in the process. Episode 8 is not salvageable. But since it ended where it started essentially, that shouldn't be a problem. I expect ticket sales will plummet if JJ can't put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Fans won't be fooled yet again.

There's a blank slate now.

There are no expectations or fan theories to be destroyed.

All Disney has to do is make an entertaining SW movie.

And there's no way any SW fan is going to skip SW9, lol.

These guys sat through all three prequels despite all the bitching.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You could also argue though that none of them had a big hook for the finale. I mean Return of the King had the hook of the one ring finally being destroyed, ROTJ had the hook of seeing how the biggest movie twist of all time in ESB played out, ROTS had the hook of the birth of Vader/completion at the time of the Star Wars saga, Toy Story 3 had the nostalgia Andy grown up hook, DH2 had the hook of the Harry/Voldemort showdown teased for 7 movies finally happening, etc. 

Well that's kind of the con of not having a definite idea of how many movies will be and when the story will end.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

There's a blank slate now.

There are no expectations or fan theories to be destroyed.

All Disney has to do is make an entertaining SW movie.

And there's no way any SW fan is going to skip SW9, lol.

These guys sat through all three prequels despite all the bitching.

I agree the diehards will never skip 9 no matter what they might claim, but that alone doesn't guarantee an increase. It's the casual audience that is also not loving TLJ and they're not guaranteed to have some kind of unyielding loyalty to the brand. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It was at 220 in April 1978. They did a full blown re-release in July 1978 and again in 1979. 

It never really left theaters ‘in-between’ re-releases. I consider it one theatrical release window. 

I think word would spread pretty fast that the Vader scene was only a minute and very lame.

It's the movie every SW fan wanted to see whenever Lucas talked about his idea of the prequels for years. No one was waiting all those years to see Senate meetings, the clone wars, Count Dooku, and Anakin's budding love life. They were waiting to see ROTS. It  had 20+ years of hype leading into it. Of course it was a hook. 

• Like 2

I think word would spread pretty fast that the Vader scene was only a minute and very lame.

Legs were not exactly amazing for Sith. 

The transformation plays out over last hour or more. It wasn’t executed very well. Bunch of things were not executed very well. 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Legs were not exactly amazing for Sith. 

The transformation plays out over last hour or more. It wasn’t executed very well. Bunch of things were not executed very well. 

It still kinda annoys me they didn't release it on Friday. Don't think the OW would have been much different than that 158 4 day number, which would have been crazy in '05. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It still kinda annoys me they didn't release it on Friday. Don't think the OW would have been much different than that 158 4 day number, which would have been crazy in '05. 

I average the 4-day and 3-day grosses for 133. That’s a 2.8ish multiplier with a second weekend boosted by Memorial Day. Should have reached 400+. 

11 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well that's kind of the con of not having a definite idea of how many movies will be and when the story will end.

Yes, but in the case of all of those we did think the story was ending at the time. You'd have to be completely naive on the other hand to believe IX will be the last episode. Everyone knows it won't be. Another ding against how much box office potential it has. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is last Skywalker saga movie and might be the final movie with...

(Very mild spoilers)

Spoiler

Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo, Chewbacca, R2-D2, and the millennium falcon.

Spoiler

If you think Vader doing a Frankenstein monster walk and screaming NOOOOO outweighs all of that by a couple hundred million then I dunno what to tell you.

Edited by grey ghost