Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

All of that can more or less be applied to Wonder Woman, and that was never a serious contender nor should it have been. I don't think Black Panther is on a higher enough level to suddenly go all the way. 

• Like 1

If any superhero movie post-TDK had a chance it was Logan. And we saw that pulled with a a nice single nom in a major category. 

I don't really see BP getting into screenplay but maybe if everything plays out perfectly it could pull a 8/9/10 spot on the BP list 

black panther has felt like a bigger cultural moment in every way compared to wonder woman. it's a serious contender. honestly nobody ever really took WW seriously for oscars but the black panther drum will be beaten all year. its a big player, maybe not for wins (at least in top categories) but it's gonna rack up a bunch of nominations.

• Like 3

Well, I have dumb wrong opinions alot, but I think Black Panther gets a Best Picture nom. Not Coogler, though. I think it resonates as THE movie of the year, just like Get Out did in same time frame.

I think it's both alot better and alot bigger deal than Wonder Woman, with alot more credibility throughout categories, fwiw.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

black panther has felt like a bigger cultural moment in every way compared to wonder woman. it's a serious contender. honestly nobody ever really took WW seriously for oscars but the black panther drum will be beaten all year. its a big player, maybe not for wins (at least in top categories) but it's gonna rack up a bunch of nominations.

Beat my point by two seconds you bitch

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is probably gonna be the year where Marvel finally steps up to bat in terms of campaigning. I imagine they'll also push Infinity War for a handful of tech noms as well (that film's ending alone guarantees it will remain one of the most talked about movies of the year).

• Like 1

btw to whoever said there'd be a black best director winner this year narrow it down to Barry Jenkins or Steve McQueen. I'd love to be wrong but i'm pretty sure spike lee's not getting in. if that movie even becomes an awards thing it's definitely gonna be on the lower end of the best picture scale, the type that only gets like three nominations. screenplay and adam driver for supporting actor could happen depending on how those categories shake out.

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

btw to whoever said there'd be a black best director winner this year narrow it down to Barry Jenkins or Steve McQueen. I'd love to be wrong but i'm pretty sure spike lee's not getting in. if that movie even becomes an awards thing it's definitely gonna be on the lower end of the best picture scale, the type that only gets like three nominations. screenplay and adam driver for supporting actor could happen depending on how those categories shake out.

I think Driver is gonna be on stage later this year so he's not gonna be visible on the campaign trail. Really gonna depend on if his movie takes off or not given the August release. He'll be an Oscar nominee someday but I doubt it'll be this year.

Edited by filmlover

The big difference between BP and WW is the former has a much higher score on Metacritic (88 vs 76). It'll probably get into Picture, but I don't think it's winning anything (it's also not getting a VFX nomination because lol).

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I think Driver is gonna be on stage later this year so he's not gonna be visible on the campaign trail. Really gonna depend on if his movie takes off or not given the August release. He'll be an Oscar nominee someday but I doubt it'll be this year.

if the movie breaks out at the box office which it could and focus seriously tries to push for awards he's the most nominatable actor in it and i think he's hot enough in the industry right now he doesn't super need visibility. again though it's not a slam dunk role but i don't even know who his competition would be right now. no one does. 

I think Panther could be a slamdunk winner in costumes and makeup (hard to imagine anything more impressive arriving this year as far as those categories go), and at least a nominee in score and production design, but anything bigger than that, count me as skeptical until I actually see critics' groups going there.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I think Panther could be a slamdunk winner in costumes and makeup (hard to imagine anything more impressive arriving this year as far as those categories go), and at least a nominee in score and production design, but anything bigger than that, count me as skeptical until I actually see critics' groups going there.

I expect Costumes and Makeup to go to one of the period pieces (The Favourite and Mary unless I'm forgetting something else). 

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

I expect Costumes and Makeup to go to one of the period pieces (The Favourite and Mary unless I'm forgetting something else). 

Don't know about makeup but in costumes 15th-18th century biopics are not the slam dunk they were a decade ago. This decade all winners except Anna Karenina were more modern 20th century period films or fantasy. Hoop skirts are out. 

legit think it could win score. again another category where the competition isn't really clear yet (i guess justin hurwitz for first man will be in the running? maybe desplat for Isle of Dogs but that won't win). plus people have been talking about that score a lot of finally a great marvel score etc. at the very least their first nomination there. certain themes stand out so much. others are kinda generic superhero stuff but let's be real you only need a couple good tracks that stick to win that category.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

I don't get the Black Panther score mania. Maybe I need to listen to it in isolation.

At least in the context of watching the films I found Silvestri's work for Infinity War a bit more memorable

7 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

no, c'mon now you said this before and i think even you know deep down it's gonna be wrong.

He's gonna triple down in July when he predicts a score nom for Ant-Man and the Wasp. Book it now.