Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Okay it's gonna sound mean and petty but I have to say it: Mr Robot's eyes weird me out and his weird eyes take me out of the trailer. Hard to disappear into the character with those eyes, all I see is him, not Mercury. But critics probably will not agree with this dumb superficial opinion.

You know what? You're onto something. When we get used to seeing an actor or an actress, we see that performer even when they're trying to blend into a character. This is more true for some performers and less true for others, but it's true for all of them to an extent. And Rami Malek is an extremely 'seeable' actor to me. It won't affect his fame, but it'll hold him back from the ballots of voters who would rather reward what they view to be 'transformative' work. So we need to see how Rami Malek is able to embody Freddie Mercury despite his memorable appearance before we can nail him down as a surefire nomination, because this year is, in my opinion, the most competitive year for Best Actor nomination hopefuls in a few years now.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i dunno i'd agree about that. it seems like a pretty subjective "but i like him more". chazelle sure but i'd say cuaron and lee are pretty level in terms of respect even if cuaron has fewer duds.

OTOH Cuaron is coming back with a perfectly prestige-y historical piece this year whereas Life of Pi must have been dismissed to some extent as a VFX-driven, CG animals-starring adventure movie. Anyway, the praise for Roma is strong enough that it might win not so much as a fixing of past wrongs but because people simply feel passionate about it as a movie. 

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

OTOH Cuaron is coming back with a perfectly prestige-y historical piece this year whereas Life of Pi must have been dismissed to some extent as a VFX-driven, CG animals-starring adventure movie. Anyway, the praise for Roma is strong enough that it might win not so much as a fixing of past wrongs but because people simply feel passionate about it as a movie. 

i'm not saying it can't win i'm just saying i don't buy his reasoning. like if i had said last year "the shape of water will win best picture because the fishman eats a cat head" i'd be half correct, but it's also pretty stupid.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'm not saying it can't win i'm just saying i don't buy his reasoning. like if i had said last year "the shape of water will win best picture because the fishman eats a cat head" i'd be half correct, but it's also pretty stupid.

Pussy eating is worth the statue now we know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Can You Ever Forgive Me? sounds like a hit. McCarthy and Grant should be good for nominations.

Grant doesn't seem like the frontrunner for Supporting Actor tho. Thankfully a beautiful boy is arriving this Friday.

• Knock It Off 3

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/telluride-film-festival-critics-poll-2018-best-films-ranked-1202000195/2/

Indiewire polled several critics at Telluride, and here are the results.

Best Film

1. “Roma” (44%)

2. “First Man” (16%)

3. “The Favourite” and “Boy Erased” (12% each)

4. “Can You Ever Forgive Me?” (8%)

5. “Birds of Passage” and “Shoplifters” (4%)

Best Director

1. Alfonso Cuaron, “Roma” (50%)

2. Damien Chazelle, “First Man” (29%)

Single votes for Ciro Guerra and Cristina Gallego, Hirokazu Kore-eda, Jason Reitman, Ralph Fiennes and Orson Welles.

Best Screenplay

1. “The Favourite” (28%)

2. “Can You Ever Forgive Me?” (24%)

Tied with two votes for each: “Boy Erased,” “First Man,” “Non Fiction,” “Roma,” “Shoplifters.”

For the record, last year, Shape of Water tied with Lady Bird for Best Film, while 2016 had Moonlight as #1 for Best Film.

• Like 1