Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

7 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Don’t see a path for a King win now really, snubbed from BAFTA and SAG.  Shame too because she was the best supporting female performance.

Really puzzled at the lack of Beale Street love in general.

I feel like at least one stat is about to be broken this year. Last year The Shape of Water won Best Picture without a Best Ensemble nomination at SAG (which everyone assumed La La Land was gonna be the movie to do it the year before because it was so far ahead of everything until it lost). I’m still thinking Beale Street is one of those movies that overperforms the morning of nominations after it had been mostly written off after the precursors.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've learned to never write off a black nominee or black-focused movie because it missed a BAFTA nom, tbh.

on it's own it'd not anything but that she missed SAG + BAFTA means that performance currently has no industry support. if amy adams or either of the favourite ladies wins at both they'll probably have pretty undeniable momentum but if those two awards split king can sneak in ftw.

Edited by CoolioD1

Amy would be a fool to try to win this. A win would make her lead actress win less urgent and we know that she really wants to win the main prize. but then, never underestimate thirst. we'll see how things unfold when SAG has its say but King should not be written off. 

• Like 1

My thoughts on this stuff:

.....Farrelly is really gonna get the fifth spot in Director, isn't he?

I'm a bit surprised Bohemian Rhapsody didn't make film at BAFTA. This should put to rest any word of it being in the top 6 lol

Robbie more than likely has the fifth spot now, though it's possible BAFTA just had a hate boner for Blunt? Idk. I'm not dropping her from Lead yet bc I have no clue who could replace her there.

Rockwell can probably make it into the Oscars, but idk who gets dropped between Chalamet and Elliott. The former has been doing really damn well at precursors while BAFTA is Elliott's second major miss.

King missing BAFTA after no SAG hurts her even more. It's shocking that Beale Street has no industry support.

Edited by WrathOfHan

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

though it's possible BAFTA just had a hate boner for Blunt? 

she's been nominated a couple times before so nah. but it's clear neither of her films registered with them much. quiet place got its obligatory sound nom and poppins got music and costumes/pd but that's it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Affleck. Sympathy votes for snubs. She still won GG. Now if the same actress wins both SAG and BAFTA I guess game almost over. But sympathy's powerful tool.

Outside of sympathy I think King beneftis from a very weird Supporting Actress field because of the Favorite ladies. It would be different if one of them was winning stuff and the other one was the bonus nomination like Rockwell-Harelson were last year. But every award body has treated them equally, they are both almost locked for an oscar nom and they are splitting votes everywhere. The only place I see them breaking the "tie" is with Weisz at BAFTA because she's a Brit and hasn't been in the awards rodeo for a long time, but she ain't winning the oscar just with that. Whoever ends up fifth of Robbie,Blunt,Foy also doesn't seem like they 'll be winning anywhere. So the only alternative to take both SAG and BAFTA is Adams and her narrative, but that IT'S TIME narrative hasn't picked up at all yet. Maybe it will if she wins the SAG, maybe it won't. 

Yeah, as much as I love Amazing Amy, I can’t imagine this being the performance she finally wins for. Maybe if she were in the movie more and hadn’t disappeared for lengthy periods (or if her Big Moments had been stronger acting showcases).

Edited by filmlover

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So what's the consensus on Robbie? In? She has a spot with King included (Amy, King, Weisz, Stone). 

I think she’ll get in. She’s on a roll right now and the role has been nominated before, plus the movie does a great job deglamorizing her (by the end she’s completely unrecognizable from the sexpot that turned heads from The Wolf of Wall Street).

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think she’ll get in. She’s on a roll right now and the role has been nominated before, plus the movie does a great job deglammering her (by the end she’s completely unrecognizable from the sexpot that turned heads from The Wolf of Wall Street).

ah, deglam! yes, powerful ally deglam is. :)

10 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Two notable film got boosted by BAFTA in the award season, Cold War and First Man.

Marry Poppin buzz trending down significantly although UK is the largest overseas market for the film.

If Beale street could talk is very vulnerable, every vote counts.

First Man is not back in the race. Blade Runner 2049 received eight BAFTA nominations including director, and the movie still only received below-the-line nominations. First Man always has been expected to receive technical nominations and to receive a Claire Foy nomination at BAFTA, but it needed a picture, director or Ryan Gosling nomination to be serious for anything above-the-line since DGA, PGA, SAG have all ignored the movie altogether.     

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel like at least one stat is about to be broken this year. Last year The Shape of Water won Best Picture without a Best Ensemble nomination at SAG (which everyone assumed La La Land was gonna be the movie to do it the year before because it was so far ahead of everything until it lost). I’m still thinking Beale Street is one of those movies that overperforms the morning of nominations after it had been mostly written off after the precursors.

If someone is looking for Amour, Room or Phantom Thread-like last minute oscar darling, I would ask to watch out if beale street could talk