Alt: Mary Queen of Scots

Foreign:

1. Roma

2. Cold War

3. Shoplifters

4. Burning

5. Capernaum

Alt: Birds of Passage

Mary QOS missing the Score shortlist is pretty surprising, otherwise that shortlist feels right. Honestly, nothing outside of Black Panther feels safe in that category. I can easily see anything that isn't Annihilation, Crazy Rich Asians, Death of Stalin, or Ready Player One making it in.

JW over Aquaman feels wrong just based on the latter's marketing alone, but otherwise, sounds right.

Makeup's only real snub is The Favourite. That last spot is between BR, QOS, and Border. I'll be shocked if Suspiria manages to make it in with how gory it is (supposedly; haven't seen!), and John C. Reilly's prosthetic chin probably isn't enough for Stan and Ollie.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'll be shocked if Suspiria manages to make it in with how gory it is (supposedly; haven't seen!),

worth noting that these nominations are decided by like edited showreels that are screened for the branch (same with visual effects). so the gore might not be a factor if they don't screen that. suspiria does have the most technically impressive make-up of the movies listed. all they need to do is show off tilda as the old man and her as spoiler. 

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

worth noting that these nominations are decided by like edited showreels that are screened for the branch (same with visual effects). so the gore might not be a factor if they don't screen that. suspiria does have the most technically impressive make-up of the movies listed. all they need to do is show off tilda as the old man and her as spoiler. 

Figured as much. I know last year's VFX showcase reports said that a lot of voters were turned off by the gore in Alien Covenant's presentation, so Amazon just needs to play it smart.

I wonder if the Academy/ABC is still planning on having the tech categories presented during the commercials like they said a few months ago when they tried and failed at willing that Popular Oscar category into existence. And who they plan to have present those since they won’t get big names to present categories  that’ll take place during breaks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

To where Amazon want to push Cold War other than Best Foreign Language film?

I see the campaign everywhere but the momentum hasn't been picked up 

it'll probably get a best cinematography nomination like IDA did. i think the leads would be worthy best actress/actor contenders but i can't see them slipping in.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:33 AM, filmlover said:

I wonder if the Academy/ABC is still planning on having the tech categories presented during the commercials like they said a few months ago when they tried and failed at willing that Popular Oscar category into existence. And who they plan to have present those since they won’t get big names to present categories  that’ll take place during breaks.

Speaking of this, have we got a host yet?

Cause in a dream world we would cut out the host all together, and just have an announcer introduce the presenters.  That way all the awards could be announced on tv.  It would quicken the pace of the show to get rid of the dreaded monologue. You could probably get Away with it this year between ALL the excellent song choices. I would rather watch a ASIB melody, A staged Trip a little Light Fantastic, a very special performance by Adam lambert and Queen, etc, etc than jimmy kemmel awkwardly talk about how he is only there cause Kevin Hart got fired. 

Edited by captainwondyful
I can’t type
  • Like 1

Just now, captainwondyful said:

Speaking of this, have we got a host yet?

Cause in a dream world we would cut out the host all together, and just have an announcer introduce the presenters. It would quicken the pace of the show to get rid of the dreaded monologue. You could probably get Away with it this year between ALL the excellent song choices. I would rather you watch w ASIB melody than jimmy kemmel awkwardly take about how he is only there cause Kevin Hart got fired. 

It’s looking very, very doubtful at this point. They want a big name to do it and they’ve all passed, and nobody wants to pick it up after the Hart fiasco.

• Astonished 1

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

I'm holding out for Mulaney.

He hosted the Spirit Awards not too long ago and the current president of the Academy has been on record as saying that the Oscars were becoming too much like the Spirit Awards so I wouldn’t hold my breath there.