Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is very premature talk of a King sweep. Let’s not forget Metcalf was basically dominating critics awards last year and Janney swept the industry.

Janney had some critic wins, Metcalf was a favorite but not runaway favorite like King

Ehhhh I gotta agree with Han here. Metcalf was just as strong last year as King for a movie that looked just as strong as Beale Street overall. I really WANT King to win because she's amazing, but......yea. I certainly wanted Metcalf to win too over that hackneyed Janney performance, too.

Also last year, it looked like Timothee Chalamet was going to be a real contender to challenge Oldman, just like Hawke and Mortensen this year. But then the biggest award shows came, and Oldman started to sweep everything up and dominate. I could easily see the same thing happening with Cooper.

Actress and Supporting Actor are more up in the air. Actress reminiscent of the 2016-17 Oscars when Stone was the slight favorite, but you could definitely see Huppert winning it. Supporting Actor, who knows.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Hate U Give should be a Best Picture contender along with a Best Actress one but since life is unfair it isn’t so any awards it gets is nothing but a good thing.

It should be nominated. It's one of the best movies of the entire year. But idk if the YA stigma is what is holding it back. 

57 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It should be nominated. It's one of the best movies of the entire year. But idk if the YA stigma is what is holding it back. 

Probably to some degree, but I think the bigger problem is that it wasn't a box office hit. If it had really tapped into the zeitgeist in a major way, I think the industry would have to take it more seriously; alas, it just performed without much fanfare. And that's a damn shame because the movie is really good.

4 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Probably to some degree, but I think the bigger problem is that it wasn't a box office hit. If it had really tapped into the zeitgeist in a major way, I think the industry would have to take it more seriously; alas, it just performed without much fanfare. And that's a damn shame because the movie is really good.

It's going to gross more than stuff like Beale Street, Roma, among other potential BP nominees though

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It's going to gross more than stuff like Beale Street, Roma, among other potential BP nominees though

Eh, I wouldn't group Roma in there considering it's Netflix. More people will probably watch Roma in its first weekend than the amount of people who saw THUG in theaters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, I wouldn't group Roma in there considering it's Netflix. More people will probably watch Roma in its first weekend than the amount of people who saw THUG in theaters.

fair fair fair. But my overall point is that sub-30M movies aren't just snubbed for Oscar attention because they grossed sub-30M. Look at Room, CMBYN, Phantom Thread, Hell or High Water, heck even Moonlight grossed less than THUG. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

True, but there's the double standard where mainstream wide releases usually need to be hits to gain traction in awards season. Fair or not, they seem to be held to a different standard than prestige-y art house fare that is hardly ever expected to make much money.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Do you think Roma would be eligible? It's not listed on the article, but it's not in that short list of notable titles that are in contention.

Edited by Slambros

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

some scores not eligible for Best Score. none were really a threat to get nominated. apparently Solo isn't eligible just because they forgot to submit it before the deadline. the hits just keep on coming.

https://variety.com/2018/music/awards/scores-ruled-ineligible-for-oscar-green-room-solo-1203085221/

SjtSfmg.jpg?1

Ha ha, oh wow