Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

if leave no trace had a better studio pick it up it'd be a shoo-in for a best picture nod. especially since i can guarantee you there's gonna be grousing next month about how all the best pic nominees are directed by men. already happened for the Globes. ah well, at best i can hope it sneaks into screenplay or smthing.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

if leave no trace had a better studio pick it up it'd be a shoo-in for a best picture nod. especially since i can guarantee you there's gonna be grousing next month about how all the best pic nominees are directed by men. already happened for the Globes. ah well, at best i can hope it sneaks into screenplay or smthing.

they all bomb, that's the problem. Can You Ever Forgive Me is also directed by a lady but it bombed. Lady Bird had a good boxoffice run so they couldn't ignore it/forget about it. 

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Han will probably disagree but I’m fully expecting King’s sweep among critics to extend to the televised awards. If anything her narrative is similar to Janney’s last year: character actress who has been around forever and is clearly beloved in the industry (look at all the Emmys she’s won) swooping in with the perfect opportunity to add Oscar to her mantle. Adams can wait a little while longer, for a film that should at least be less divisive than Vice sounds like it’ll be based on early reactions.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Han will probably disagree but I’m fully expecting King’s sweep among critics to extend to the televised awards. If anything her narrative is similar to Janney’s last year: character actress who has been around forever and is clearly beloved in the industry (look at all the Emmys she’s won) swooping in with the perfect opportunity to add Oscar to her mantle. Adams can wait a little while longer, for a film that should at least be less divisive than Vice sounds like it’ll be based on early reactions.

giphy.gif

• Sad 2

LAFCAs:

Roma won Best Picture.

Burning and Shoplifters tied for Best Foreign Feature.

Chloe Zhao (The Rider) won the new generation award.

It wasn't posted, so I'll post it now: the Documentary winner was Shirkers (though the director was the wife of John Powers, a member of the LAFCA, so things may be a bit sketchy). Minding The Gap was the runner-up, and it also won for editing, beating Roma in the category.

Edited by Slambros

King is gonna win Supporting, that much is obvious. Amy deserve Best Actress cause she's a real leading lady. Supporting is for character actors but only a consolation for leading men and ladies. It wouldn't feel right. 

I wanted Leo to win but not a consolation cause he's such a leading man. I

m glad he won for a huge boxoffice hit though my preference among his hits would be WOWS.

Edited by Valonqar

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

giphy.gif

honestly the reactions to her performance seems to be universally "good but not great" from people who like and dislike it. adams is one of my favourites but i like it when my favourites win for their best tier work. it killed me how i couldn't really root for gary oldman last year, despite him being one of my favs.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly the reactions to her performance seems to be universally "good but not great" from people who like and dislike it. adams is one of my favourites but i like it when my favourites win for their best tier work. it killed me how i couldn't really root for gary oldman last year, despite him being one of my favs.

True. Idk, I'm just excited for Vice and want Amy to finally win. She probably isn't winning for Woman in the Window next year, so I just hope she wins before her nomination count hits double digits.

Amy somehow missed a nomination for her masterful work in Arrival so her losing for a supposedly “lesser” performance wouldn’t be the end of the world. Luckily she’ll continue getting good roles/lead roles for the foreseeable future so her time will come. Eventually.

• Like 2

yeah, she'll get it eventually. she stays working with acclaimed auteur types these days which is smart. hopefully she won't end up like glenn close. GC's in contention this year for a movie i'm like 80% sure doesn't actually exist. she just photoshopped a poster together and people are nominating her for what they assume is a real movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah, she'll get it eventually. she stays working with acclaimed auteur types these days which is smart. hopefully she won't end up like glenn close. GC's in contention this year for a movie i'm like 80% sure doesn't actually exist. she just photoshopped a poster together and people are nominating her for what they assume is a real movie.

I actually saw The Wife (mostly because my mom wanted to see it and I’m a good son so I took her). Movie is only good but not great (it only touches the surface of digging into the fascinating topics it’s trying to address) but it sure is one hell of an acting showcase for Close and Jonathan Pryce (who is every bit her equal but she gets the juicier part so it’s understandable why she’s gotten all the buzz for the film). It’s the kind of movie where the acting leaves a stronger impression than the rest of the film.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1