WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2018 Box Office Predictions

August 24

Dog Days: What is this? *goes to IMDb* A Garry Marshall-like comedy with dog owners played by B and C-list actors? Damn! I have NEVER even heard of the studio distributing this. Are we sure this is a real movie? 3/6 (2x)

Replicas: Holy fuck, EVERYONE WATCH THIS TRAILER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is EXACTLY the type of shitty movie we expect from Keanu Reeves, and it’s being distributed by ENTERTAINMENT STUDIOS! YES! Given the end of August dump (seriously; this movie is completed and rated), there WILL be some good legs. 6/18 (3x)

Slender Man: ………Didn’t I just do this? God damn you, Sony. 15/35 was my initial prediction, and I don’t see much reason to stray from that. I’ll bump the legs up because it’s the end of August. 15/40 (2.67x)

Edited by WrathOfHan

Gonna try getting to November by the end of this weekend.

August 31

Kin: This is the directorial debut of the Baker brothers and stars James Franco, Carrie Coon, Zoe Kravitz, and Dennis Quaid among others. This is based on their short film Bag Man, and given the cast involved, I don’t see how the plot correlates to that short :lol: The Labor Day release date doesn’t inspire much confidence, but we’ll see. Franco is enough of a draw in wide releases (or was depending how hard his allegations hit him).  8/24 (3x)

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 11:21 PM, filmlover said:

I still don't know what a Samson is.

It's a low-budget faith based film adaption from the story of Samson in the bible. a really cool story. but the movie looks awful from the trailer.

September 14

Alpha: I was downright FURIOUS when Sony delayed this from March 2 to here because the trailer is fucking HORRIBLE! Now I have to deal with that shit in theaters for another six months! Sony’s release date shifting of this should be enough proof to make anyone believe this will bomb. It was originally supposed to open in September 2017, but Sony decided to delay it to March to “capitalize on spring break.” Well, I don’t know what the hell they’re trying to capitalize in September! Even with a weaker market, this will still bomb horrendously. 8/22 (2.75x)

The Darkest Minds: Another YA adaptation? Really? The ship has sailed on that shit for a while. This is the director’s first live action film after directing the Kung Fu Panda sequels, and the author of the novel is writing the script. Unless this gets strong reviews, this will be another Mortal Engines I MEAN Instruments. 12/30 (2.5x)

Fighting with My Family: Poor Paige. I’m not invested in WWE, but that girl has had it ROUGH over the past couple of years. This film is just the tip of the iceberg because WWE has been delaying this around the schedule for a bit because of their issues with her. Stephen Merchant is the writer and director on this, which means this is probably a good movie! Dwayne Johnson has a role as himself, so maybe that aspect can get played up in marketing a bit. The quality is likely here with this one, but its success all depends on what WWE and MGM decide to do. 10/30 (3x)

September 21

The House with a Clock in Its Walls: I am really looking forward to this movie for one big reason: Eli Roth decided to direct a family film. Who the hell saw THAT coming??? The cast on this is stacked; Jack Black and Cate Blanchett are coming off mega box office hits, and I just learned that Kyle MacLachlan is in it too! Obviously, I’m excited for this, but what will the GA think? The trailer will decide this movie’s fate. Sight unseen, I can see this surpassing Goosebumps (the first; the second very likely isn’t making the October date). 25/100 (4x)

Operation Finale: @aabattery how should I spell the word “Nazis”? :sparta: This movie stars Oscar Issac as a Nazi Hunter! If only the crew involved behind the scenes had better credits to their names. Chris Weitz is a very spotty director and screenwriter, and this is the screenwriter’s first script. Those two alone are making me pause with this one. Here’s hoping for the best, because more Oscar Issac should be a good thing. 8/20 (2.5x)

Robin Hood: Lionsgate. Plz stop. Getting a British TV director and one of the geniuses behind King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is NOT how you should start a new franchise. Hell, the biggest red flag to me is how long post-production is taking on this; it’s been finished filming since June and won’t be out for another six months. They were originally going to be releasing it this spring, and it more than likely could have made that date. Everything about this just screams bomb. 8/20 (2.5x)

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

September 28

Johnny English 3: This is being made only for Europe and Australia. I will be SHOCKED if it makes over 5M here after the last one barely crossed 8M. Good luck, Focus. 2/4 (2x)

Night School: Kevin Hart is coming hot off Jumanji, but it’s been a while since he’s headlined his own movie. That alone already guarantees at least 70M for this. However, here are the two people that will push this over 100M: Tiffany Haddish and Malcolm D. Lee. Both are fresh off Girls Trip, and Tiffany Haddish is taking the world by storm right now. Add in “From the director of Girls Trip” to the marketing, and that’s easy money right there! Don’t be surprised if this does something crazy like 150M with the lack of comedy offerings until December. 40/150 (3.75x)

Smallfoot: Warner Animation needs a non-LEGO hit under their belt. Storks didn’t set the world on fire, and Ninjago was hated by most. Will Smallfoot be the one to break the curse? ……Eh. The teaser doesn’t inspire much excitement, and families will still have House with a Clock in Its Walls. This may work as counterprogramming for younger kids, but I don’t think this is doing more than Storks or Ninjago. 15/50 (3.33x)

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Pisses me off that there's a lot of intersting stuff coming out after September, because I won't have my job anymore and I'll be having to pay for rent somewhere. Gonna have to start getting picky :(

Does Canada have anything like MoviePass?

19 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Does Canada have anything like MoviePass?

Not that I know of... but to be fair I haven't been paying much attention outside of passes we accept at the theatre I work at. If there is I'm jumping right on that shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

September 21

The House with a Clock in Its Walls: I am really looking forward to this movie for one big reason: Eli Roth decided to direct a family film. Who the hell saw THAT coming??? The cast on this is stacked; Jack Black and Cate Blanchett are coming off mega box office hits, and I just learned that Kyle MacLachlan is in it too! Obviously, I’m excited for this, but what will the GA think? The trailer will decide this movie’s fate. Sight unseen, I can see this surpassing Goosebumps (the first; the second very likely isn’t making the October date). 25/100 (4x)

Han, are you ill?

I haven’t made any predictions in a week. School has been taking up too much of my time to focus on writeups, and I will be starting my 2017 list in a week or so. Instead of doing writeups for the last three months, here’s a megapost of predictions. Enjoy:

A Star is Born: 25/85

Venom: 30/75

Bad Times at the El Royale: 15/45

First Man: 20/100

Halloween: 60/160

Mowgli: 10/25

Where’d You Go, Bernadette?: 8/30

Overlord/Cloverfield 4: 15/40

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: 40/140

X-Men: Dark Phoenix: 50/125

The Grinch: 70/240

The Girl in the Spider’s Web: 15/50

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: 70/200

Widows: 25/100

Ralph Breaks the Internet: 50/220

Creed 2: 20/70

The Women of Arwen: 10/30

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: 30/120

Mortal Engines: 20/90

Mary Poppins Returns: 250M

Aquaman: 60/180

Bumblebee: 35/140

Holmes and Watson: 15/100

Bohemian Rhapsody: 80M

• Like 2

On 1/3/2018 at 6:43 PM, WrathOfHan said:

February 16

Black Panther: WHOO! The MCU has been on a hot streak with all of their 2017 films making over 300M domestically, and I expect Black Panther to continue this trend. Opening on a holiday weekend certainly increases its breakout potential, and I can see its 4 day approaching Deadpool’s 132M 3 day. Hell, maybe it matches Deadpool all around! I won’t go quite that far yet, but my prediction could certainly change in two months. 110/130/310 (2.81x from 3 day/2.38x from 4 day)

Nice job bro.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

On 2/3/2018 at 12:03 AM, DAJK said:

Not that I know of... but to be fair I haven't been paying much attention outside of passes we accept at the theatre I work at. If there is I'm jumping right on that shit.

Well with Cineplex controlling 80% of the market, not going to happen. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 12:02 PM, WrathOfHan said:

The New Mutants: No other movie is daring to face this, and it’s for a good reason. The New Mutants represents a new endeavor in the comic book movie craze: horror. Both genres are coming off record-breaking years, and people want new, unique movies. This fits that bill and is releasing on the perfect date. Friday the 13th always leads to big grosses for horror movies, but how will it affect a superhero horror movie? I’m betting a lot! It also helps that the rest of April and May look a bit light on competition (though it will drop a bit in its second weekend and May 4). Don’t be surprised if this comes close to Logan. 70/200 (2.86x)

bump