WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2018 Box Office Predictions

August 3

Christopher Robin: This is the only “remake” of sorts Disney has for the year, but Christopher Robin does not follow any Pooh shorts or films. Instead, this is essentially Hook with Christopher Robin. There is no family competition for the month of August, and Hotel Transylvania will be in its fourth week. I have a hard time seeing this go below 100M unless it has bad WOM. 30/100 (3.33x)

The Equalizer 2: The first Equalizer was a big hit for Denzel and Antoine Fuqua, but absolutely nobody was asking for a sequel. Given the busy month, I expect this to drop at least 30% from the first, but this won’t have a severe drop like sub-50M. Denzel is a reliable draw, and even when he has flops like Roman J. Israel, Esq., he still ends up with Oscar nominations! 25/70 (2.8x)

The Predator: Shane Black has a new PREDATOR movie? Someone alert the internet to keep their dicks in their pants! Indeed, fanboys on the internet are going nuts for this film, and why wouldn’t they? Shane Black has been on a strong streak with Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys, and The Predator has an absolutely killer cast. That said, I’m not sure if the internet hype will translate over to the GA. Fox might be putting most of their energy into Alita, and August is a crowded month. A move to September would be wise, but as is, it should do fine. 35/90 (2.57x)

The Spy Who Dumped Me: This is one of those movies that needs a trailer to measure how well it could do. The crew involved is mostly untested, but the cast is well-rounded with Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon as the leads. I’m hoping this is a good movie and box office hit. 15/60 (4x)

• Like 1

August 10

The Meg: In (dis)honor of BKB, I will be formatting this prediction like one of his posts!! If it wasn’t for Rampage, The MEG would have taken the year’s crown for dumbest blockbuster, but such is luck.. Can’t compete with Dwayne Johnson!! This movie has JASON STATHAM fighting a giant shark.. How could millennials not go for it?? Well, the movie has already been rated over 7 months out, so WB is keeping this on the shelf.. Does that not look a little suspect?? There’s certainly an audience for dumb action movies, but we’ll see if THE MEG can live up to BKB’s hype..

wtf.gif

15/40 (2.67x)

Nasty Women: Fucking hell, is this day dedicated to BKB? The crew behind this movie is largely unproven, and the writer wrote Olaf’s Frozen Adventure. We’re off to a great start already! Despite having Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson in the cast, this is coming after two movies aimed at the same demo. There has to be some casualties in August, and this movie will likely be one. 10/25 (2.5x)

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

August 10

The Meg: In (dis)honor of BKB, I will be formatting this prediction like one of his posts!! If it wasn’t for Rampage, The MEG would have taken the year’s crown for dumbest blockbuster, but such is luck.. Can’t compete with Dwayne Johnson!! This movie has JASON STATHAM fighting a giant shark.. How could millennials not go for it?? Well, the movie has already been rated over 7 months out, so WB is keeping this on the shelf.. Does that not look a little suspect?? There’s certainly an audience for dumb action movies, but we’ll see if THE MEG can live up to BKB’s hype..

wtf.gif

15/40 (2.67x)

Nasty Women: Fucking hell, is this day dedicated to BKB? The crew behind this movie is largely unproven, and the writer wrote Olaf’s Frozen Adventure. We’re off to a great start already! Despite having Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson in the cast, this is coming after two movies aimed at the same demo. There has to be some casualties in August, and this movie will likely be one. 10/25 (2.5x)

It's not a BKB dedication if it doesn't include a defense for Trump and a cheap shot at Hillary. So disappointed, Han.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's not a BKB dedication if it doesn't include a defense for Trump and a cheap shot at Hillary. So disappointed, Han.

Not to mention hidden or not so hidden racism.

Hot take: Sorry for being a "BKB apologist," but I think Meg will probably gross around $65M. The last two shark movies were leggy hits, so having a big-budget tentpole version of it will entice the same crowd and likely some general audience members. Of course, the downside is that it's sharing a direct audience with Predator, but I think there's enough juice in the tank for the both to coexist and for Meg to do passable enough business.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

August 10

wtf.gif

15/40 (2.67x)

Han, you'd better be right on The Meg, If it made a 40 DOM on a 150 budget, it would definitely put a smile on my face.

11 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Han, you'd better be right on The Meg, If it made a 40 DOM on a 150 budget, it would definitely put a smile on my face.

The Meg seems dumb enough to do great OS tho

August 17

Captive State: Rupert Wyatt has been on the lowdown for the past few years. He hasn’t made a film since The Gambler over three years ago, and his most recent credit is directing the pilot for The Exorcist. The premise of Captive State sounds fairly intriguing, and you can’t beat a movie that has Vera Farmiga and John Goodman in it. We’ll have to see what the trailer brings, but I’ll remain optimistic. 15/50 (3.33x)

Crazy Rich Asians: People are predicting big numbers for this because Asians are under-represented in Hollywood and it’s based on a best-selling book. I am not one of those people. Why? Jon M. Chu. We suddenly think the guy who has directed movies like Jem and the Holograms, the Justin Bieber documentaries, Step Up 2 and 3D, Now You See Me 2, and G.I. Joe: Retaliation can suddenly make good movies? I sure as hell don’t. Plus, this is already rated and sitting in the can. Surely if WB was confident in this, footage would have been released by now, no? Let’s not forget the amount of comedies targeting women are coming out over this period. Sorry, I’m not buying this as a big hit. 15/40 (2.67x)

The Happytime Murders: Here’s a movie that’s extremely concept driven. I’m curious who this movie is aimed at; it’s aimed at adults, right? If so, it has to be rated R for a success. I don’t know how seriously they’ll consider watching a comedy with puppets in theaters without going full-Avenue Q. Maybe this is the Sausage Party of puppet movies? This prediction is a placeholder because I really need to see a trailer to accurately predict this. 10/25 (2.5x)

Three Seconds: The cast on this has me interested, but the crew has me a bit reserved. The director’s first film Escobar: Paradise Lost received mixed reviews, and Josh Cook wrote Patriots Day (with several other people) and Triple 9. This phrase is getting really trite, but I need to see a trailer! 5/12.5 (2.5x)

White Boy Rick: Oh hey, this movie was supposed to come out a few days ago! That right there should tell you everything you need to know. 6/15 (2.5x)

• Like 2

August looks like it's gonna be another wasteland for the most part this year despite Suicide Squad having made $300M+ in that first weekend of the month slot two years ago. Don't know why studios don't take advantage of it at all anymore.

Edited by filmlover

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

August looks like it's gonna be another wasteland for the most part this year despite Suicide Squad having made $300M+ in that first weekend of the month slot two years ago. Don't know why studios don't take advantage of it at all anymore.

What? This year august looks stronger than ever. There are so many movies in that slot.  I can see some of them doing really good