Mojoguy

Tuesday Numbers: Jumanji 10.2, TLJ 7.9 (Asgard)

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The original cut was 4 hours long IIRC, they managed to get to three hours for the theatrical release. 

The sets and costumes that they abandoned in England ended up being used in Carry On Cleo, 

The earlier version was even estimated to be longer around six hours, hence the two film idea. I also know they constructed seventy nine sets for the film, which at the time was huge. I guess in retrospect it's not surprising the budget blew up like it did. 

Jumanji and TLJs drops just show that there are still a number of schools still out for this week. So the % drops should remain decent for Wed and Thu. 

TLJ will still drop in the 50-55% range this weekend because Sun will be back to a normal day with schools being entirely back in on Mon. 

Looking forward to seeing how Jumanji holds though

9 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

too bad theaters are forced to keep TLJ on the biggest screens. That probably won't happen again

Not only is there more interest in Jumanji, but they also have to give a bigger percentage of the ticket sales to disney, so it's like double loss, and it's the smallest theaters that gets hit the hardest by the 100 billion dollar corporation.

Then I read on twitter how Last Jedi takes sides in the class war and it's the populist movie we need in the era of Trump. smh

• Disbelief 1

31 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

too bad theaters are forced to keep TLJ on the biggest screens. That probably won't happen again

It looks like that's either over or getting dumped because my theater is giving it to Jumanji this weekend and Darkest Hour during the week.

25 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Not only is there more interest in Jumanji, but they also have to give a bigger percentage of the ticket sales to disney, so it's like double loss, and it's the smallest theaters that gets hit the hardest by the 100 billion dollar corporation.

Then I read on twitter how Last Jedi takes sides in the class war and it's the populist movie we need in the era of Trump. smh

This is what some people dont get...

People watch Star War films to escape from reality, not want to get a SJW Thinkpiece film. ( I don't think that, but I have heard a ton of complaints from people (not alt right) about that). 

True ROTS had politics as well but the Prequels was a politics driven plot and it was a main criticisms of the films. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

The Last Jedi is now the Number 6 movie of all time DOM and the 4th highest-grossing this decade, having still a good chance for Number 5 all-time and number 3 for the decade.

Edit: BOM updated its international figures:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $531,511,829    49.1%
Foreign:  $551,400,000    50.9%

Worldwide:  $1,082,911,829  
Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

It's great that Jumanji is finding solid legs.

I don't see Star Wars has having bad word of mouth. I see Star Wars fatigue, which kind of surprises me. 

However, I ran across this analysis of why that could be the case and feel the article makes valid points.

While the article says no one is "seriously talking fatigue", I beg to differ. Dateline on the article is 12/14/17 and three weeks later I feel fatigue, not bad word of mouth. I only see hard core geek nitpickers online with bad things to say about the film. Everyone I speak to has enjoyed it.

Until 2015’s “The Force Awakens,” “Star Wars” movies arrived infrequently and were treated as major cultural events. Kids skipped school and braved long lines to fill multiplexes. The films were spaced three years apart, building anticipation in between pictures. Even the poorly reviewed prequel trilogy, starting with “The Phantom Menace” in 1999, had three-year gaps....

Now, Disney plans to release a new “Star Wars” film every year through at least 2019. “The Last Jedi” will be followed next May by “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” the second recent non-trilogy anthology film (after “Rogue One”). Then comes Episode IX, directed by J.J. Abrams, slated for release in December 2019. That same year Disney plans to launch its branded streaming service, for which Lucasfilm is developing an original TV series.

There’s more: Last month, Disney announced that “The Last Jedi” director-writer Rian Johnson has been tapped to create a new “Star Wars” trilogy once the current one concludes. 

So far, no one suggests that any serious “Star Wars” fatigue has set in. Early projections show “The Last Jedi” will make $425 million worldwide during its initial weekend.....

8 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/948601208939466752

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI $7.9M Tuesday (Est.) $539.4M Total (North America) #StarWarsTheLastJediThe_Last_Jedi_BB8_emoji_v3.png #StarWarsThe_Last_Jedi_BB8_emoji_v3.png #TheLastJediThe_Last_Jedi_BB8_emoji_v3.png #BoxOffice

16.6 million Tuesday overseas. The gap is growing, mostly because the performance in Germany, UK, and Japan looks more like TFA than Rogue One, the other markets more like Rogue One.

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

This is what some people dont get...

People watch Star War films to escape from reality, not want to get a SJW Thinkpiece film. ( I don't think that, but I have heard a ton of complaints from people (not alt right) about that). 

True ROTS had politics as well but the Prequels was a politics driven plot and it was a main criticisms of the films. 

Sounds more like the very opposite to me, those people never really got Star Wars. Star Wars has always been about politics. Right from the get go. There are a ton of references in the original movies, from the obvious anti-fascist message of a rebellion fighting for freedom against an evil Empire, to a bunch of "backwater" beings defeating a technologically superior enemy (comparison to Vietnam). This is George Lucas we are talking about, he has always been a liberal who disagreed with certain political elites.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, George Parr said:

Sounds more like the very opposite to me, those people never really got Star Wars. Star Wars has always been about politics. Right from the get go. There are a ton of references in the original movies, from the obvious anti-fascist message of a rebellion fighting for freedom against an evil Empire, to a bunch of "backwater" beings defeating a technologically superior enemy (comparison to Vietnam). This is George Lucas we are talking about, he has always been a liberal who disagreed with certain political elites.

Anakin in ROTS literally quotes George W. Bush: "If you are not with me, you're my enemy".

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Nah Star Wars has been about archetypes as old as time. Even if people compared Sheev to Bush, his rise of power looks more like Ceasar or Hitler.

puting in some Nazi imagery for the bad guys isn't really a political statement when everyone sees the Nazis as the bad guys.

Edited by mikee11
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Whoever on Twitter said that needs to cite some solid examples of what they think they mean. At face value I laugh at trying to draw a parallel.

Star Was isn't doing anything cutting edge or new in it's story telling narrative.

Every film is at it's core fall of a ruling class(Republic) rise of despotic ruler (Empire). Swap sides, rinse and repeat.

5 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Nah Star Wars has been about archetypes as old as time. Even if people compared Sheev to Bush, his rise of power looks more like Ceasar or Hitler

None of that contradicts that Star Wars has been about politics since the beginning...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Whoever on Twitter said that needs to cite some solid examples of what they think they mean. At face value I laugh at trying to draw a parallel.

Star Was isn't doing anything cutting edge or new in it's story telling narrative.

Every film is at it's core fall of a ruling class(Republic) rise of despotic ruler (Empire). Swap sides, rinse and repeat.

Knock yourself out.

https://theintercept.com/2017/12/24/star-wars-last-jedi-class-politics/

I stopped at

The Last Jedi” is a “Star Wars” for populist times and a kind of remake of the 2016 Democratic presidential primary that sides firmly with the left.

Edited by mikee11
  • Like 1