the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

59 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Based upon? The quality of the movie? Past victories? Let's be clear. TLJ is a complete disaster. It doesn't matter how you want to look at it. It made money off the back of all of the previous installments in the saga. It is the only movie in history to drop $150M+ between two consecutive weekends, and if you discount its OW numbers it has made around $250M DOM. How much of that was also curiosity based on brand name or the previous installment cannot be quantified. TLJ isn't a successful movie. It has the lowest audience rating of any Star Wars movie. Its revenues are the result of excessive marketing, goodwill on the brand name Star Wars, and expectation generated by The Force Awakens. Proof is already available if you look at what has happened in China. This movie is TRAILING BEHIND ROGUE ONE there... on its OW, beaten by a local "romance" movie which has been out for a whole week already.

TLJ may not ever break even!

It's going to get pushed down to third place in its third week of release.

What more do you need to hear?

I have highlighted in italic a fallacy that only an angry child who doesn't know shit about box office would say.

TLJ may have not been critically successful and its legs have been poor, but it cost 200M in production, and it's going to make 1.25-1.3B WW, 600+ of those coming from DOM. Just on North America alone, it tripled its production budget. How the hell is that "not breaking even"?

The movie is actually a huge success, get over it.

• Like 2

Little observation, but I find it interesting looking at SW and The Avengers.

TA (1.52b) --> AoU (1.40b)

TFA (2.07b) --> TLJ (~1.3b)

I find it incredible that TLJ, coming off TFA, that made 500m+ more than TA, will end up under AoU.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

dear evan hansen is such a bad soundtrack. it's so fucking dull.

I thought the musical was fine, there were much better ones this year, and it’s a poor Tony winner though compared to ones like Hamilton and A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder but it wasn’t that bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Based upon? The quality of the movie? Past victories? Let's be clear. TLJ is a complete disaster. It doesn't matter how you want to look at it. It made money off the back of all of the previous installments in the saga. It is the only movie in history to drop $150M+ between two consecutive weekends, and if you discount its OW numbers it has made around $250M DOM. How much of that was also curiosity based on brand name or the previous installment cannot be quantified. TLJ isn't a successful movie. It has the lowest audience rating of any Star Wars movie. Its revenues are the result of excessive marketing, goodwill on the brand name Star Wars, and expectation generated by The Force Awakens. Proof is already available if you look at what has happened in China. This movie is TRAILING BEHIND ROGUE ONE there... on its OW, beaten by a local "romance" movie which has been out for a whole week already.

Wow, what a complacent appraisal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

I thought the musical was fine, there were much better ones this year, and it’s a poor Tony winner though compared to ones like Hamilton and A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder but it wasn’t that bad.

Han is triggered.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 hours ago, Noctis said:

I'm happy that PP3 is going to hit $100m. Not interested in watching this one in theaters but I enjoyed the first two (especially the first) so it's nice this one is going to hit $100m after a disastrous OW. 

Kind of weird that the two films (TGS and PP3 - both musicals) are going to end up finishing over $100m. But honestly...TGS is on another level entirely. 

Coming from someone who loved the first, and thought the second was very mediocre....this one lands right in the middle.  It's really silly, but in a good way and the music selections arent quiet as strong (they'res a killerrrrr Toxic remix) it's overall much more fun and a good note to go out on.

I think everyones expectations for the third got a bit out of hand after the lightning in a bottle run of the second. 100 is a fantastic result.

• Like 1

Dude. TLJ is not a box office disaster! So far it’s at $1.1B WW and movies with those numbers are never disasters. Get it through your head or there will be consequences.

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

You’re conveniently ignoring Underworld.  Good on you.

I’m sorry, but Underworld isn’t considered a Horror franchise, same goes to Resident Evil, both belongs to the action genre. 

And weren’t you claiming that Insidious would underperform because you haven’t seen “any marketing”? Good prediction!

Just now, That One Guy said:

Also I’m so happy Greatest Showman is doing so well

I don’t like the movie, but I’m glad it’s doing well.  Its good performance, despite being failed Oscar bait, will encourage Hollywood to push out more original blockbusters and musicals.

Hopefully things like First Man, Nutcracker, Ready Player One, Rampage, A Wrinkle in Time, Red Sparrow, A Quiet Place, The House With a Clock In Its Walls, Zemeckis’ flick and Mortal Engines do well to further encourage this

• Like 1

It is the only movie in history to drop $150M+ between two consecutive weekends,

1) well, a movie that opens to 25m will fall only 25m at most.

2) Mon and Tue after the 2nd weekend were bigger than either of Fri, Sat and Sun of the 2nd weekend. Can't discount the scheduling.

3) SW8's 3rd weekend drop was better than most movies that have opened big due to release period again.

and if you discount its OW numbers it has made around $250M DOM.

Even ignoring the math (Cume-OW) and pointing out it's still in theaters, why would one discount the 220 it made in OW when talking about whether the movie is profitable? Is Disney donating the OW to charity? Even then they can get a tax refund on that.

Edited by a2knet
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I’m sorry, but Underworld isn’t considered a Horror franchise

Not what you said a year ago

On 1/2/2017 at 8:42 PM, Mockingjay Raphael said:

2017 main releases:

Underworld: Blood Wars
The Bye Bye Man
Split
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Rings
Get Out
A Cure for Wellness
Alien: Covenant
Annabelle 2
Insidious Chapter 4
Friday the 13th
It
Saw

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not break even? Do you even know what "break even" means?

Third week? You mean 4th week, right?

i'm starting to think that @TheForceuser707 is @robcain anonimus profile to release all his anger freely. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James said:

Little observation, but I find it interesting looking at SW and The Avengers.

TA (1.52b) --> AoU (1.40b)

TFA (2.07b) --> TLJ (~1.3b)

I find it incredible that TLJ, coming off TFA, that made 500m+ more than TA, will end up under AoU.

Thre is a pretty logical explanation for that though.

While The Avengers was already a big hit, it came before China truly exploded, and other parts of Asia have grown since then as well. So drops get overshadowed by rises that came from markets developing further. TFA and TLJ both came out after this jump has occured, not that it matters much because they aren't partcularly big there either, but it does make a difference. TLJ probably wouldn't see its big drop in China if TFA had come before the big development jump in China either.

But more importantly, Star Wars has its strength in already developed markets. TFA proceeded to go way beyond what has been the norm for Star Wars in those markets, and at times even set marks that are rare to unparalleled by any movie. Now it is dropping back down to the level it roughly used to be at, while also seeing drops in markets the franchise isn't big in. Age of Ultron, on the other hand, got a significant boost in asia due to developing markets, while also not dropping as much in the other markets. Marvel wasn't all that big at least in some parts of Europe , and thus was still experiencing some sort of growth there that ate up drops that normally would happen. Taking Germany as an example, The Avengers didn't really do much in itself, it wasn't something big that everyone was looking forward to. But with all the exposure before and afterwards, Age of Ultron managed to reach the same level as The Avengers, which still isn't all that big. You can see the effect with all the other Marvel movies as well, with all these new movies, there is slowly but surely a fanbase growing.