the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

Just now, filmlover said:

They're easy money. That's why.

Horror is cheap so it's profitable even with bad legs but I think studios have seen with the likes of The Conjuring franchise, IT, Split and Get Out that a good horror can have legs. IT for example attracted a much wider audience compared to your average horror.

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Hope Jumanji can beat it's ow of 36.169

Yes!! based on DHL

Update Sunday AM: Sony’s Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is up to $36.3M for the weekend, but the biggest gain was made by Universal/Blumhouse/Stage 6’s Insidious: The Last Key with $29.3M over 3 days after a Saturday where there wasn’t as much falloff with $11M, -13%.

Disney/Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi is taking 3rd with $24.3M, a tad higher than expected with a running cume of $573.3M.

STXfilms/eOne/Mark Gordon Company’s Molly’s Game is also higher, now filing $7M in its second weekend in 7th, ahead of Focus Features’ Darkest Hour which earned $6.4M.

• Like 9
  • Astonished 2

Decent for Molly's Game, the movie cost $30m so I imagine it'll profitable if it does $90-100m WW, it's being distributed by different distributors WW so I expect the film itself has made its budget back

Darkest Hour did fine but clearly Oldman as Churchill isn't a draw to US audience unlike Dench as Queen Victoria. It'll do a lot better in the UK because it's Churchill and WWII

Edited by Jonwo

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Decent for Molly's Game, the movie cost $30m so I imagine it'll profitable if it does $90-100m WW, it's being distributed by different distributors WW so I expect the film itself has made its budget back

Darkest Hour did fine but clearly Oldman as Churchill isn't a draw to US audience unlike Dench as Queen Victoria. It'll do a lot better in the UK because it's Churchill and WWII

$30m, that's high for a contemporary Indie drama.  I gather it had higher than usual above the line and long development costs.